July 25, 2014, 09:55:19 PM

Author Topic: SL1 or Fuji X-EX1 or Sony Nex 6?? Would like your thoughts  (Read 11664 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: SL1 or Fuji X-EX1 or Sony Nex 6?? Would like your thoughts
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
I have the nex 6 and its pretty good. Iq in the raws gives you a lot to work with. Also very small and evf. I checked the 3n and it was ok but more to give dslr quality in your pocket where you would not need an evf or the phase detect af.

The flash however is way to harse. Definetly can blow out highlights way to easily

The sl1 felt really tiny. Its still thick as a rebel so since there are no pancake primes it makes it a hard decision to sell over the other ilc offerings since they are truly smaller. The sl1 seems like the eos m just canon testing the waters so the revision 2 would be the true release if there is one. Think canon g1x. Where did that go?
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
i would vote for fuji ex-1...

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
A friend of mine just did a nice review of the SL1 after deciding to rent it (over the Fuji or NEX) from LensRentals as a travel camera for a short trip to New Orleans:

http://www.addrummimages.com/2013/05/19/new-orleans-and-the-canon-sl1/

7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

thruthelense

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
Let me add to the post below.... I am a woman and I'm sure most of you are men. I want a camera that I can ALWAYS carry around in my purse and one can't really do that with a 60D. Also, I will be buying the Fuji X-ex1 for $800 with a lense from a family member. So does this change anyones thoughts on Fuji X-EX1 vs Canon SL-1? Oh yea... I have a large purse like most women :-)

I currently own a 60D with various EF lenses. I don't always want to lug that around and would like something lighter and smaller but still be able to get quality shots. While I know the SL1 can't be put in your pocket it can be thrown in a purse. All I would need is the body. My son has the Fuji which is fantastic but your talking 3x the price. Any thoughts? None of the stores around has the SL1 in yet so I can't really play with it.
Thanks !!!
thruthelense

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 05:59:16 AM »
Having used Sony a7 for the last 2 days, I can say the better & smarter choice would be to go with Canon SL1 (100D).
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

joema

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
...I want a camera that I can ALWAYS carry around in my purse and one can't really do that with a 60D. Also, I will be buying the Fuji X-ex1 for $800 with a lense from a family member. So does this change anyones thoughts on Fuji X-EX1 vs Canon SL-1?

I borrowed a NEX-6 and used it on vacation. The EVF is very good, video is decent, low light capability is good, panorama and built-in HDR good, an the 16-50mm kit lens is extremely compact. It is one of the few APS-C sensor cameras with a zoom lens that can stored in a purse or large pocket.

That said I didn't like it. The UI is extremely menu oriented, with the Setup menu having so many pages the scroll bar is just a tiny sliver. While I got pretty good results, it felt like a gadget not a camera. A number of NEX-6's have a "camera error" flaw which locks up the camera if the electronic front curtain shutter is used. It can only be fixed by returning it for service.

I haven't used a X-E1 but have used a friend's X20, which has a roughly similar control layout. The Fuji felt like a camera and was pleasant to use.

The SL1 is very small for a DSLR and is a good alternative to enthusiast mirrorless cameras. It is much less expensive than the NEX-6 but will definitely not fit in a pocket or purse with the kit lens.

You will probably be very happy with the X-E1. Another pocketable alternative is the Sony RX100 II. Despite any possible UI issues, it is very small, has a 1" sensor, and I've seen many great shots from them. However it does not have a built-in EVF or OVF.

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
Lots of good advice here!
My take on the subject: EVF, OVF, button placement, sensor size, DoF, high ISO IQ, all that comes second to AF, which is what matters most. (You already have your 60D for taking photographs with good IQ when tricky subjects and important events appear.)
You'd rather have a noisy photograph that's in focus than the other way around, so consider having the camera in your hands and testing the AF system before you buy it.
Good luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »
My choice is FE2 with 23 f1.4. Better high ISO. Great for when I go out to dinners. And I can detach the lens and put camera in one pocket and lens and other.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:17:04 AM by sanj »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
Lots of good advice here!
My take on the subject: EVF, OVF, button placement, sensor size, DoF, high ISO IQ, all that comes second to AF, which is what matters most. (You already have your 60D for taking photographs with good IQ when tricky subjects and important events appear.)
You'd rather have a noisy photograph that's in focus than the other way around, so consider having the camera in your hands and testing the AF system before you buy it.
Good luck!

That's a very good point, and given the high quality of most sensors these days, the trade-off in noise will be minor.  The fastest, most accurate (at least on things that aren't moving fast) AF around seems to be the Olympus OM-Ds (though it seems Fuji bodies may be catching up, assuming their lenses are as fast too).  But you can buy two or three SL1s with kit lens included for the price of the OM-Ds without a lens, and while the SL1 has nowhere near the number of focus points or coverage of an OM-D, in my fairly limited experience (I've only owned it for a couple of months) its focus is fast and accurate (again, for things that don't move fast - I don't photograph things that do, so I can't comment there).  You can't fit it in a pocket, of course, but for my taste the SL1 provides an incomparably more pleasant experience than an M or any other small viewfinder-free camera.

The comment I made in this thread six months ago still stands, though - it's hard to keep a camera system small/compact/lightweight if you have an APS-C or FF based system and need/want to use anything bigger than the smaller primes.

Vivid Color

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
...I want a camera that I can ALWAYS carry around in my purse and one can't really do that with a 60D. Also, I will be buying the Fuji X-ex1 for $800 with a lense from a family member. So does this change anyones thoughts on Fuji X-EX1 vs Canon SL-1?

The SL1 is very small for a DSLR and is a good alternative to enthusiast mirrorless cameras. It is much less expensive than the NEX-6 but will definitely not fit in a pocket or purse with the kit lens.

I'm a woman who, on occasion, carries a large purse and I'm not sure that the above statement that the SL1 with kit lens will not fit in a purse is true. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself, but having seen an SL1 in person, I think an SL1 with a 55-250 lens may fit into one of my purses, and while it is a large purse, it is not humongous either. Of course, I may not be able to fit much more than the SL1+lens in, but I'd be able to still fit in the essentials--money, credit cards, phone, keys. To help the OP figure this out, the following website may help: http://camerasize.com/compact/   Don't be put off by the title of the site as it has full size and compact cameras. Sometimes you have to type in the name of the camera to search for it as not every camera is located where you think it might be. That said, it's a useful site with which to compare camera sizes.

cm71td

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
I have an X-E1.  Great image quality, great lenses, great controls, but the auto-focus is frustratingly slow.

My SLR and lenses are Nikon, and I wish that Nikon would create something the size of the SL-1.  If they did, I would sell my X-E1 and buy the SL-1 size Nikon.

If you do decide to go mirrorless, I would highly recommend the X-E1 over an NEX.  I used to have an NEX-5n and the Fuji is much nicer and more fun to use.

My wife has a Sony rx100.  It is fantastic if you want something that will fit in your pocket.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
I borrowed a NEX-6 and used it on vacation. The EVF is very good, video is decent, low light capability is good, panorama and built-in HDR good, an the 16-50mm kit lens is extremely compact. It is one of the few APS-C sensor cameras with a zoom lens that can stored in a purse or large pocket.

That said I didn't like it. The UI is extremely menu oriented, with the Setup menu having so many pages the scroll bar is just a tiny sliver. While I got pretty good results, it felt like a gadget not a camera. A number of NEX-6's have a "camera error" flaw which locks up the camera if the electronic front curtain shutter is used. It can only be fixed by returning it for service.

I have a NEX-6 and I agree the menu structure is not very user friendly. But still I think it is a pretty good and very pocketable camera with the kit lens! Despite the menu it is easy to use because the most important functions are directly accessible via buttons/scroll wheels. It's good to use with a 30 mm Sigma too. The biggest issue I have with this camera is the lack of good camera RAW editing software - I have to use Adobe Lightroom for the Sony and don't like it much, as well as problems I have with getting the color space of processed photo's correct (more of a Lightroom issue). If you want tele, the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS is inexpensive, very compact and nice to use, colors are good too but the resolution is only so-so. With the NEX-6 I can take a three lens system in a tiny bag. Very convenient.

My Sony NEX-6 'kit':

Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS

What's missing is a macro lens, something this camera could be good at - but outside of my general interest.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:33:53 PM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

sanjosedave

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
Neither.

I'd consider looking at Sony's RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
If you're committed to accepting something bigger than a pocket camera, and want something smaller than a 5D3, and you already have Canon glass, the SL1 is a great choice. With the need to travel very light for a trekking trip in Laos and feeling reluctant to heft a 1-Series or even a de-gripped 5D3, I'm 100% happy with my SL1 which I've had for a few months now. It's TINY with the 40mm pancake, though the resulting 65mm equivalent FOV is often a little long for my liking. Bring on the EF-S 22mm pancake! My SL1 default lens is the surprisingly good EF-S 15-85is, though I've even used it with the 300mm f/2.8is. It looks a bit like a pimple on an elephant.

It was a close thing between the SL1 and the extremely compelling Olympus OM-D, but the notion of running two systems tipped me towards the SL1. It's so good I routinely use it on jobs as a third body. If you're used to 5D3/1DX era FF, you just have to stay aware of the obvious limitations of the comparatively modest APS-C sensor.

So to the OP, if you're OK with going bigger than a pocket camera and already have Canon glass, you will not be disappointed with the SL1 which I see as one of Canon's most interesting consumer releases in years.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4966601607/dpreview-gear-of-the-year-canon-rebel-sl1-eos-100d

-pw
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:17:06 AM by pwp »

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
If its not too late I would definitely consider the Fuji XE2, not the XE1.  The XE2 has many improvements in AF speed, wifi, etc that the previous model was not at its best at. 

As a Canon 5D3, 1D4 and 6D shooter, I too needed a more compact system to cart around daily.  I rented an XE1 with the 35mm f1.4 lens and was sold.  They are extremely light weight and perform GREAT in low light with high ISO!  I  am so excited about this format as a daily camera I find my big gear is only coming out when I truly need it. The Fuji allows me to be more spontaneous and carry it with me every day.

It has many features you'll find on the DSLR's if you need them.  One feature I really like is being able to shoot SQUARE format, like a medium format camera.  Now, how great is that?

Anyway, wish you best with this decision.
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »