September 02, 2014, 05:16:29 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3  (Read 31385 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
What's the latest progress on this? There was so much info about the breakthrough...but not much word on how progress was to refining this for a more general release to the public.

I think the in-camera stuff is pretty solid now (varying a bit by model). But the post-processing workflow is still in flux.

There are a number post-processing sub-projects going on right now, but as far as I can tell... nothing has risen to the top yet. If everyone were on the same OS, using the same applications, and wanted the same editing format, I think we'd have a solution by now. But it's just the opposite. That said, people are definitely chugging along.

Check out the ML post-processing forum. There's at least 8-9 projects, each with their own different process or software.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

I will be taking some of these workflows for a spin over the next week.

If anyone else has tried a converter other than raw2dng, it would be great to get some details.

Thanks for the link!!  I'll dive into it this afternoon.

I'd like to see them have a conversion tool, maybe to the DNG format that Davinci Resolve works with..so you could pipe the Canon RAW video into Resolve and do you color correctiion, and the out of that into FCPX or Premier as you please for editing....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
I am still holding my breath, waiting for a breakthrough in terms of in-camera conversion to 10 or 12 bit.
The hope is that one of the developers stumble on an undocumented feature in the DIGIC or that a canon engineer decides to show some love :)

Don't hold it too long, you might die! :(

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
I've tried out a few different post-processing conversion workflows. Here are some brief comments.

raw2dng (WIN/OSX)
- PRO: Reliable. Clean output. Note: used by other converters (e.g., RAWanizer).
- CON: Limited to outputting DNG stills, which must then be converted before importing to an NLE.

RAWmagic (OSX)
- PRO: when it works, it converts a RAW file directly to Resolve-ready CinemaDNG
- CON: still very beta, with lots of bugs (including noise, fringe, aberration, and more)

RAWanizer (Win)
- PRO: creates DNGS, TIFFs, and a proxy tiffs and a proxy video. It can also output Prores 4444.
- CON: slow, but to be expected considering how much it does.

EyeFrame (Win)
- PRO: Convert Magic Lantern RAW to dng, tiff, Prores, DNxHD, MPEG2 I Frame HD and MJPEG.
- CON: Runs within another program, Lightworks (Win).

I haven't used EyeFrame yet (because it requires Lightworks). Because RAWanizer works sufficiently, I'm reluctant to try EyeFrame until I hear a rousing endorsement.

If anyone has experience with other tools, please share about it.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
Download and install GingerHDR
That will allow you to import the RAW files straight out of the camera into Premiere Pro without having to convert to any DNG/TIF formats
iPhone 4s camera

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2013, 04:22:10 AM »
That will allow you to import the RAW files straight out of the camera into Premiere Pro without having to convert to any DNG/TIF formats

Thanks for the heads-up!

GingerHDR is perfect for going straight into the NLE. It works as a plugin with both Premiere and After Effects. At $150, it's definitely on the costly side. At first, I ignored it because I figured there HAD to be a free alternative, right? Well, not yet. Up to this point, I think it is still the only software that will bring files directly into Pr/Ae without any compression.

GingerHDR has a 30-day trial. But I'm guessing that any projects I use it on will get disabled if I don't purchase a license. That is giving me a bit of pause, because I am confident there will be free alternatives within a matter of weeks/months. The question now is whether Prores 4444 (using RAWanizer) is good enough to tide me over until a free "native" solution emerges.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether RAW will be that much better than Prores for my shamelessly amateur videos? Is it worth that extra $150 to get native RAW capabilities a few months before something free comes out?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by dirtcastle »

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

GingerHDR is perfect for going straight into the NLE. It works as a plugin with both Premiere and After Effects. At $150, it's definitely on the costly side. At first, I ignored it because I figured there HAD to be a free alternative, right? Well, not yet. Up to this point, I think it is still the only software that will bring files directly into Pr/Ae without any compression.

GingerHDR has a 30-day trial. But I'm guessing that any projects I use it on will get disabled if I don't purchase a license. That is giving me a bit of pause, because I am confident there will be free alternatives within a matter of weeks/months. The question now is whether Prores 4444 (using RAWanizer) is good enough to tide me over until a free "native" solution emerges.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether RAW will be that much better than Prores for my decidedly shamelessly videos? Is it worth that extra $150 for a month (or two) of native RAW editing?

I downloaded the trial, I'm thinking that maybe the plug in will get disabled, but maybe the ability to import the footage wont. Guess I'll have to wait to find out???
iPhone 4s camera

crazyrunner33

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
I tried GingerHDR, it's nice being able to work with RAW immediately in Premiere, but I prefer using ACR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »