December 21, 2014, 11:06:08 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3  (Read 35859 times)

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »
Yes do it in TIFF. Cinema5D published a workflow that way.

http://www.cinema5d.com/?p=18065

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
I was just thinking that you could probably batch the .DNG files not just in AE/ACR but in PS/ACR with with full PS power and various other plug-ins and have video frames processed with full on stills photography quality tools and all sorts of fancy, fancy processing and super advanced sharperning, NR, coloring tools.

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm mainly a stills photographer but I’ve been starting to get into timelapse and video over the past year.

You are EXACTLY right.  This is HUGE for people that are mainly stills photographers.  Just as you describe, you can process this raw video EXACTLY like you can stils.  Exactly.  This is driving the video people nuts, but it’s huge for me.  The workflow is a bit complex but not as hard and time consuming as you’d expect.  I’ve made one crappy comparison video (will post later).  Here is my workflow:

1)     Shoot video, staying under 2GB (it tells you in real-time how much space it’s hogging)

2)     Convert .RAW file into .dng files using raw2dng.  TIME: about a minute

3)     Import .dng files into Lightroom (this is  where my workflow is a bit different than most…) TIME: about a minute

4)     Process .dng files just like you would a raw from a camera…because that is exactly what they are. (I convert my Canon .CR2 files into .dng files anyway) TIME: how many images have you edited in LR?

5)     Export .dng files as full-res jpegs TIME: a couple minutes (I guess if you were really anal about quality but not about HDD space you could convert to .tif's)

6)     Import full-res jpegs into Quicktime 7 Pro as an image sequence (exact same way you make a time-lapse) TIME: one second

7)     Export image sequence as Apple ProRes HQ 422 .mov’s (if you don’t’ want to do any video editing you can just export these as h264-compressed .mov’s or .mp4’s instead) TIME: a couple seconds for ProRes, a couple minutes for h264

8)     Import Apple ProRes 422 .mov’s into Final Cut Pro X TIME: instant

9)     Edit… TIME: see LR comment, I suck at video editing

10   Export to whatever format you want TIME: a couple minutes

A question about #1.

Why stay under 2GB?

Thanks,

cayenne

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
I was just thinking that you could probably batch the .DNG files not just in AE/ACR but in PS/ACR with with full PS power and various other plug-ins and have video frames processed with full on stills photography quality tools and all sorts of fancy, fancy processing and super advanced sharperning, NR, coloring tools.

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm mainly a stills photographer but I’ve been starting to get into timelapse and video over the past year.

You are EXACTLY right.  This is HUGE for people that are mainly stills photographers.  Just as you describe, you can process this raw video EXACTLY like you can stils.  Exactly.  This is driving the video people nuts, but it’s huge for me.  The workflow is a bit complex but not as hard and time consuming as you’d expect.  I’ve made one crappy comparison video (will post later).  Here is my workflow:

1)     Shoot video, staying under 2GB (it tells you in real-time how much space it’s hogging)

3)     Import .dng files into Lightroom (this is  where my workflow is a bit different than most…) TIME: about a minute

4)     Process .dng files just like you would a raw from a camera…because that is exactly what they are. (I convert my Canon .CR2 files into .dng files anyway) TIME: how many images have you edited in LR?

5)     Export .dng files as full-res jpegs TIME: a couple minutes (I guess if you were really anal about quality but not about HDD space you could convert to .tif's)

6)     Import full-res jpegs into Quicktime 7 Pro as an image sequence (exact same way you make a time-lapse) TIME: one second

7)     Export image sequence as Apple ProRes HQ 422 .mov’s (if you don’t’ want to do any video editing you can just export these as h264-compressed .mov’s or .mp4’s instead) TIME: a couple seconds for ProRes, a couple minutes for h264

A question about #1.

Why stay under 2GB?

Thanks,

cayenne
Good question!

This issue is caused by the mac version of raw2dng not being able to convert files over 2GB in size.  On a PC you can go up to 4.28GB.  It's frustrating, but is an issue in the post-processing, not in the ML firmware.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »

Ding, ding, ding!

Canyon do this with PNG or TIFF? In theory You can get better quality if you output the final movie at full resolution. Although...if you're outputting in a lossy format anyway, it might not make a difference.

Of course you can!  See step #5!  I chose to edit/grade the video in LR, not in my video editing software, so jpg is just as good as .tif in my case.  If you want to grade it in your video-editing software, you should DEFINITELY export as .tif instead of .jpg.

For my workflow I doubt there would be much difference since I use LR to grade the .dng's and then I don't really touch them in FCPX...I also am quickly burning through HDD space  ;D

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
Warning: Komputerbay 128GB cards are too slow. They won't work for this. I hear their smaller sized cards are faster though.

Yeah, read the FINE PRINT about the WRITE speeds of the cards.  You need at least 90MB/s WRITE for 1920x1080 24p raw video.  Not all 1000X cards are created equal unfortunately.  Seems like you can just have a fast read speed and call your card 1000X...

My Komputerbay 64GB is working great so far, I was definitely a skeptic...

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
Warning: Komputerbay 128GB cards are too slow. They won't work for this. I hear their smaller sized cards are faster though.

Yeah, read the FINE PRINT about the WRITE speeds of the cards.  You need at least 90MB/s WRITE for 1920x1080 24p raw video.  Not all 1000X cards are created equal unfortunately.  Seems like you can just have a fast read speed and call your card 1000X...

My Komputerbay 64GB is working great so far, I was definitely a skeptic...

Yea, the write speeds have to do with how many NAND devices and the type and the controller. More devices, SLC instead of MLC, good garbage collection algorithms. Those all contribute to faater write speeds. And higher costs.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
They have fixed the Mac GUI version of raw2dng, no more 2GB recording limit!  That was very fast and very un-Canon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
They have fixed the Mac GUI version of raw2dng, no more 2GB recording limit!  That was very fast and very un-Canon!

That's because it's not Canon, it's the MagicLantern team  :o
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
Has anyone used the latest ML release (alpha 3 or nightly build) with the 1.2.1 firmware? Also how do I get the nightly build? Do I need to build it?

Thanks in advance.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:01 PM »
Has anyone used the latest ML release (alpha 3 or nightly build) with the 1.2.1 firmware? Also how do I get the nightly build? Do I need to build it?

Thanks in advance.

1. You MUST remove 1.2.1 and re-install the previous firmware.
2. check this thread for builds: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5413.125

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I don't have it up in front of me, but I've been following in the forums....

1. THey are currently only working on the older firmware, I think it was 1.1.3?  The threads are like 50 deep, but in those they have links to get the older firmware so you can 'downgrade' to the version that works with current builds.

2. There are no 'guides' with everything you need to know about running the nightlies so you can play with the RAW video. YOu basically have to read through the long forum threads and take notes. ON some of those threads I saw links to outside sites where people have tried to put it all together into one guide, but if you're not familiar with a bit of coding, or more intricate computing methods, you might just want to wait till they have a more stable candidate.

That being said, the info is on a couple of ML forum threads.....I"m currently just watching the threads from the sidelines for now, but I may jump in at some point and try nightlies....

HTH,

cayenne

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

Thanks in advance.

1. THey are currently only working on the older firmware, I think it was 1.1.3?  The threads are like 50 deep, but in those they have links to get the older firmware so you can 'downgrade' to the version that works with current builds.

2. There are no 'guides' with everything you need to know about running the nightlies so you can play with the RAW video. YOu basically have to read through the long forum threads and take notes. ON some of those threads I saw links to outside sites where people have tried to put it all together into one guide, but if you're not familiar with a bit of coding, or more intricate computing methods, you might just want to wait till they have a more stable candidate.

That being said, the info is on a couple of ML forum threads.....I"m currently just watching the threads from the sidelines for now, but I may jump in at some point and try nightlies....

HTH,

cayenne

Yea, I'd recommend waiting until there's at least a pre-built alpha/beta that's officially released. A lot easier to install and use. Also it'll be a lot more stable and less experimental. But, if you do want to participate, please do so and help them out with any bug reports or suggestions!

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:28 AM »
LetTheRightLensIn, cayenne, Drizzt321, thanks. Yes that has been what I have been thinking too. Unfortunately I "want" the f8 focus and the faster AF for flash so I don't want to downgrade to 1.1.3...

I guess I will sit on the sidelines for an alpha on 1.2.1 and look at the game being played and drool...
 :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:28 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »

Thanks in advance.

HTH,

cayenne

Yea, I'd recommend waiting until there's at least a pre-built alpha/beta that's officially released. A lot easier to install and use. Also it'll be a lot more stable and less experimental. But, if you do want to participate, please do so and help them out with any bug reports or suggestions!

The latest build are working remarkably well now though.
The only real bug is recording a file while card space runs out and I expect tht will be fixed in one day maybe two.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
LetTheRightLensIn, cayenne, Drizzt321, thanks. Yes that has been what I have been thinking too. Unfortunately I "want" the f8 focus and the faster AF for flash so I don't want to downgrade to 1.1.3...

I guess I will sit on the sidelines for an alpha on 1.2.1 and look at the game being played and drool...
 :)

Ah too bad. I don't use speedlight flash (only simple fill or macro ring) and the one combo I horrible badly wanted to work 70-300L + 1.4x TC doesn't work with 1.2.1.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »