October 23, 2014, 03:00:53 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3  (Read 33373 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
Has anyone used the latest ML release (alpha 3 or nightly build) with the 1.2.1 firmware? Also how do I get the nightly build? Do I need to build it?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have it up in front of me, but I've been following in the forums....

1. THey are currently only working on the older firmware, I think it was 1.1.3?  The threads are like 50 deep, but in those they have links to get the older firmware so you can 'downgrade' to the version that works with current builds.

2. There are no 'guides' with everything you need to know about running the nightlies so you can play with the RAW video. YOu basically have to read through the long forum threads and take notes. ON some of those threads I saw links to outside sites where people have tried to put it all together into one guide, but if you're not familiar with a bit of coding, or more intricate computing methods, you might just want to wait till they have a more stable candidate.

That being said, the info is on a couple of ML forum threads.....I"m currently just watching the threads from the sidelines for now, but I may jump in at some point and try nightlies....

HTH,

cayenne

Yea, I'd recommend waiting until there's at least a pre-built alpha/beta that's officially released. A lot easier to install and use. Also it'll be a lot more stable and less experimental. But, if you do want to participate, please do so and help them out with any bug reports or suggestions!

The latest build are working remarkably well now though.
The only real bug is recording a file while card space runs out and I expect tht will be fixed in one day maybe two.
See! More drool! ;)

It is my only body - can't take a chance to brick it. Besides the damn thing cost me full price when I bought it...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
They have fixed the Mac GUI version of raw2dng, no more 2GB recording limit!  That was very fast and very un-Canon!

That's because it's not Canon, it's the MagicLantern team  :o

Exactly!  A rag-tag band of part-time, just-for-fun programmers can fix their software in a couple of days...meanwhile Canon announces a firmware update and then takes over 6 months to actually roll it out... :o

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
They have fixed the Mac GUI version of raw2dng, no more 2GB recording limit!  That was very fast and very un-Canon!

Exactly!  A rag-tag band of part-time, just-for-fun programmers can fix their software in a couple of days...meanwhile Canon announces a firmware update and then takes over 6 months to actually roll it out... :o
ML folks "code because they feel". That is a powerful place to be in. Structure imposes *. I am certain Canon has great scientist, engineers, architects, programmers etc? If not, can you imagine that the ML folks would be able to get stuff working in this timeframe?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »

Well, they have some advantages. If things break and your camera no longer works, they aren't legally liable. Granted if it happens to too many people they'll just stop using it. But Canon needs to make sure things are as bullet proof as possible, otherwise they face potential massive liabilities. Also, ML runs on top/alongside the Canon firmware, they don't have to do everything top to bottom like the firmware does.

That said...I definitely agree Canon should move faster with some of their firmware updates.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »

2. There are no 'guides' with everything you need to know about running the nightlies so you can play with the RAW video. YOu basically have to read through the long forum threads and take notes. ON some of those threads I saw links to outside sites where people have tried to put it all together into one guide, but if you're not familiar with a bit of coding, or more intricate computing methods, you might just want to wait till they have a more stable candidate.

What about this: http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898 and the one that EOSHD did?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »
Here's some footage I edited together from last weekend in Central Oregon:

https://vimeo.com/66866250

All but the last three shots are with the Magic Lantern firmware....it's a bit tedious in post but WORTH IT!

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:16 AM »

All but the last three shots are with the Magic Lantern firmware....it's a bit tedious in post but WORTH IT!

Great video! Your intro reminded me of some of the other amazing bucolic footage I've seen from other ML RAW early adopters.

I was able to get RAW working on my 5D3. Tomorrow I'll shoot some footage and string it together. But alas, I don't think it will include misty mountains and green pastures. ;-) Lol... It will probably be more like bumper-to-bumper traffic, construction work, and people yelling at each other. Ah... city life.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:47:11 AM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:16 AM »

j1jenkins

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »

Awesome video! The climbing portion was quite enjoyable, even if some of it wasn't in RAW.  I wasn't paying close attention and I will go back and watch again, but did you notice a significant difference between the ML video footage and the non-ML footage?

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »

Great video! Your intro reminded me of some of the other amazing bucolic footage I've seen from other ML RAW early adopters.

I was able to get RAW working on my 5D3. Tomorrow I'll shoot some footage and string it together. But alas, I don't think it will include misty mountains and green pastures. ;-) Lol... It will probably be more like bumper-to-bumper traffic, construction work, and people yelling at each other. Ah... city life.
So you guys went back to 1.1.3 or never upgraded to 1.2.1? I shall be watching this channel for your videos and comments :)

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:43 AM »

Awesome video! The climbing portion was quite enjoyable, even if some of it wasn't in RAW.  I wasn't paying close attention and I will go back and watch again, but did you notice a significant difference between the ML video footage and the non-ML footage?

Thanks!  Yeah, I ran out of card space on my 64GB 1000X so those last 3 shots had to be done in the boring 'ol Canon video. 

There is a HUGE difference.  It doesn't look like it that much in those video because those last three shots are just a lot more interesting and better-composed (and the lens has IS which buffers out the camera shake nicely)...I really really wish I had shot them in RAW...but then I wouldn't have had the audio which I like...so, win-some, lose-some I guess!

Going rock climbing in Idaho this weekend, I hope to make another short!  Hopefully with better shots and MORE TRIPOD work. (seriously, I'm so lazy about using a tripod and video looks so, so much better with one)

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

So you guys went back to 1.1.3 or never upgraded to 1.2.1? I shall be watching this channel for your videos and comments :)

I never upgraded because I heard it breaks Magic Lantern.  I had never used Magic Lantern prior to the RAW video thing, I'm enjoying all the other, many features as well!

I've heard it's pretty easy to downgrade back to 1.1.3 though!

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »

I never upgraded because I heard it breaks Magic Lantern.  I had never used Magic Lantern prior to the RAW video thing, I'm enjoying all the other, many features as well!

Yes, I know. However, my f8 focus will go away and my flash focus will be even lazier than me (or should have I said "lazier than I").

I'll wait on the sidelines for now - I have the 1.1.3 saved and so I could just make the jump...

Or else I shall watch the videos you people put up and drool...

Whatever...

Have fun! :)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

Well, they have some advantages. If things break and your camera no longer works, they aren't legally liable. Granted if it happens to too many people they'll just stop using it. But Canon needs to make sure things are as bullet proof as possible, otherwise they face potential massive liabilities. Also, ML runs on top/alongside the Canon firmware, they don't have to do everything top to bottom like the firmware does.

That said...I definitely agree Canon should move faster with some of their firmware updates.

They also have some pretty huge disadvantages though. Zero documentation to work off of (other than for the basic ARM core and a few standard bits)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »

nice!

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »

Yes, I know. However, my f8 focus will go away and my flash focus will be even lazier than me (or should have I said "lazier than I").

I'll wait on the sidelines for now - I have the 1.1.3 saved and so I could just make the jump...

Or else I shall watch the videos you people put up and drool...

Whatever...

Have fun! :)

Ahh, I see, I don't have a lens setups fancy enough that I need f/8 focus.

I have no doubt this will *eventually* work with 1.2.1 though, the rate at which these guys are fixing bugs is pretty impressive.  Most of my complaints about the raw2dng OSX GUI software have been fixed within days!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:25:42 PM by LOALTD »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »