July 24, 2014, 10:06:16 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3  (Read 30041 times)

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Does anyone know if the ML's ISO improvement in recording is carried through to the same degree of improvement in RAW still images?

Yes it is, the image quality is exactly the same as still images. 

Pretty much, think of it as a "real time timelpase".  It's just shooting 2MP raw, still images at a rate of 24 fps.

You'll have to edit them a bit more than a still though...for whatever reason the white balance they default to is very heavy in the magenta department.

Oooh, looks like a misread your question.  Stills quality is un-touched when running the ML firmware.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »
...working with the DNGs in Lightroom is still really useful though. I find it much easier to tweak and do cool stuff....
I also like using Lightroom better, but some people have reported that using Lightroom with 2012 calibration can cause flicker as it appears to apply some tweaks on an individual image basis.
@LetTheRightLensIn
Please keep us updated with your findings/thoughts on the color management/workflow! Thanks :)
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
...working with the DNGs in Lightroom is still really useful though. I find it much easier to tweak and do cool stuff....
I also like using Lightroom better, but some people have reported that using Lightroom with 2012 calibration can cause flicker as it appears to apply some tweaks on an individual image basis.
@LetTheRightLensIn
Please keep us updated with your findings/thoughts on the color management/workflow! Thanks :)

Yeah I am noticing that for certain clips it (ACR 2012 whether through LR or PS apparently since you mention LR and I use PS) does introduce flicker. For now I pretend it is a flickering film projector ;).

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
@LetTheRightLensIn

Yeah I am noticing that for certain clips it (ACR 2012 whether through LR or PS apparently since you mention LR and I use PS) does introduce flicker. For now I pretend it is a flickering film projector ;).

Not having use the 5d3 raw or anything, but couldn't you go into Library module in Lightroom and make the individual frames fairly small (I'm guessing they're displayed as an entire set of individual raw images) and just scroll through them quickly to see if there are any that have significantly different exposure to find those flickers?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
@LetTheRightLensIn

Not having use the 5d3 raw or anything, but couldn't you go into Library module in Lightroom and make the individual frames fairly small (I'm guessing they're displayed as an entire set of individual raw images) and just scroll through them quickly to see if there are any that have significantly different exposure to find those flickers?

Tricky when like 300 out of a 1000 appear to. I think some of it was actually there in real life though I think some bushes were blowing around and rapidly changing the lighting in the scene. I think 24fps makes it seem more strobe like that in real life and ACR probably did accentuate it a bit though too.

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
That flickering (aka color/luma shifting) is probably the one caused by automatic adjustments in Lightroom 2012. The following is a post about it on the Magic Lantern forum.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.0

It happens when changes in the image (such as a person walking across the screen) triggers automatic Lightroom adjustments.

The good news is that you can selectively revert batches of frames back to "Process 2010" (which does not automatically adjust it) in the Settings > Process menu. The bad news is that you lose several years of LR feature advancements. But obviously, it's still better than reverting back to H.264.  ;)

For sequences with lots of motion and histogram changes, use Process 2010. For relatively calm and stable shots, use Process 2012. Or you can just use Process 2012 until you see a flicker/shift, and then revert.

More early-adopter penalties.   :'(

Plaid Zebra Films

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »
Here is a test video I shot last weekend in Big Sur (May 22nd Nightly build). The post-production was done through Lightroom.

https://vimeo.com/67422760

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
Here's a short I threw together with some RAW video on a recent alpine climbing trip:

https://vimeo.com/68106828

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
I've not had a chance to read again through the ML forums to catch up.

What's the latest progress on this? There was so much info about the breakthrough...but not much word on how progress was to refining this for a more general release to the public.

Anyone?

Thanx,

C

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
Features are still being worked on/added in the nightly builds, but I haven’t updated to any of them.  The builds are still pre-alpha for the time being.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
Here's a short I threw together with some RAW video on a recent alpine climbing trip:

is there some sort of funniness going on in this video or am i just nuts?vthe corners keep moving. it almost looks like distortion correction is being switched on and off during the video. either way it still looks 100x better than thing i can put together, and the scenery is spectacular. thanks for posting it.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »

is there some sort of funniness going on in this video or am i just nuts?vthe corners keep moving. it almost looks like distortion correction is being switched on and off during the video. either way it still looks 100x better than thing i can put together, and the scenery is spectacular. thanks for posting it.

You aren't crazy!  This footage was extremely shaky, and I digitally "fixed" it.  I honestly don't like the way it looks, but I had one cut with it un-"fixed"...and it looked even worse/more distracting. 

I wasn't able to rent image-stabilized primes and my team would not let me setup a tripod while climbing...so this is the best I could do unfortunately!

I'm still struggling with how to take video while alpine climbing that doesn't look like it was shot by someone with parkinson's.

Rock climbing is much easier to use a tripod on, I'm much more happy with this:
https://vimeo.com/66866250

Regardless, I'm having a blast playing with this firmware, even if I'm an amateur, at best!

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »
What's the latest progress on this? There was so much info about the breakthrough...but not much word on how progress was to refining this for a more general release to the public.

I think the in-camera stuff is pretty solid now (varying a bit by model). But the post-processing workflow is still in flux.

There are a number post-processing sub-projects going on right now, but as far as I can tell... nothing has risen to the top yet. If everyone were on the same OS, using the same applications, and wanted the same editing format, I think we'd have a solution by now. But it's just the opposite. That said, people are definitely chugging along.

Check out the ML post-processing forum. There's at least 8-9 projects, each with their own different process or software.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

I will be taking some of these workflows for a spin over the next week.

If anyone else has tried a converter other than raw2dng, it would be great to get some details.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:36:59 PM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
I am still holding my breath, waiting for a breakthrough in terms of in-camera conversion to 10 or 12 bit.
The hope is that one of the developers stumble on an undocumented feature in the DIGIC or that a canon engineer decides to show some love :)

5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
BY THE END OF SUMMER WE SHOULD KNOW A LOT MORE...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »