August 20, 2014, 08:54:30 PM

Author Topic: Two New PowerShot Cameras Leaked  (Read 9045 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Two New PowerShot Cameras Leaked
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
Afterall, which camera has done more innovation with digital cameras recently, Canon or Sony?
And which company has done as little as possible?

Oh, you're bashing Canon? Big surprise. No innovation the last year? Where have you been?

Well, that's dilbert for you. Confuses lenses with cameras and talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Just recently, dilbert started a thread about the SX50 being the best superzoom ever, and now Canon has done 'as little as possible'.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »

baervan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
Quote from: Sony Rumors
The RX200 will have an improved 28-140mm f/1.4-2.2 lens (compared to the current 29-105mm f/1.8-4.9)

If true, 140mm f/2.2 means a substantially bigger lens assembly, meaning the RX-200 would lose the current form factor - one big reason for its popularity.  I'm very tempted by the RX-100, but if the successor won't fit in a jeans pocket like the current model, no interest from me.

Is 140mm f/2.2 even possible on such a small scale? Are there any predecessors? It sounds like one of those 18-300 f1.4 lenses that people like to dream of on this forum.. but Im ready to eat the printout of this post with salad if it will actually happen! ;)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
So the thing Canon needed to upgrade, the lens, is no different then the S100.  The camera also looks much more slippery then my S100.  I'm guessing the sensor is the same and the only upgrade will be the digic 6 processor which will be of no help because you'll shot in raw.

Pity because if the RX200 rumours are true, it seems that Sony stepped up in the lens department:

http://photorumors.com/2013/05/05/rumors-sony-rx200-coming-in-june-with-a-built-in-pop-up-viewfinder/

I'd rate that as quite possibly true.

Afterall, which camera has done more innovation with digital cameras recently, Canon or Sony?

Oh, you're bashing Canon? Big surprise. No innovation the last year? Where have you been?

Ok, name one area where Canon has led the photography field with new innovation in the last year - and by innovation I mean something more than gizmos added to cameras.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »

Well, that's dilbert for you. Confuses lenses with cameras and talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Just recently, dilbert started a thread about the SX50 being the best superzoom ever, and now Canon has done 'as little as possible'.  ::)

Look I could retaliate but to what purpose would that serve? Maybe it is better to play the ball (lets talk Canon) rather than attack people.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
So the thing Canon needed to upgrade, the lens, is no different then the S100.  The camera also looks much more slippery then my S100.  I'm guessing the sensor is the same and the only upgrade will be the digic 6 processor which will be of no help because you'll shot in raw.

Pity because if the RX200 rumours are true, it seems that Sony stepped up in the lens department:

http://photorumors.com/2013/05/05/rumors-sony-rx200-coming-in-june-with-a-built-in-pop-up-viewfinder/

I'd rate that as quite possibly true.

Ok, name one area where Canon has led the photography field with new innovation in the last year - and by innovation I mean something more than gizmos added to cameras.

Thing is you just come out as a misunderstood five year old. Move on dude!

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
I thought a 1200mm equivalent lens length in the SX50 HS was pretty interesting even though I found it a bit too challenging to use.  I'd love to see the next iteration of this camera have a smartphone app for remote focus/lock and shutter control.  At 1200mm equivalent, I found the image to be too shaky even with IS on when handheld  but on a tripod, the image could be stabilized.  However, since I had to depress the clunky shutter button, there was no way the image would stay stable.  A remote triggering via phone would be great.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
I thought a 1200mm equivalent lens length in the SX50 HS was pretty interesting even though I found it a bit too challenging to use.  I'd love to see the next iteration of this camera have a smartphone app for remote focus/lock and shutter control.  At 1200mm equivalent, I found the image to be too shaky even with IS on when handheld  but on a tripod, the image could be stabilized.  However, since I had to depress the clunky shutter button, there was no way the image would stay stable.  A remote triggering via phone would be great.

The SX50 takes the Canon E3 plug (like the Rebel/xxxD bodies).  There are wired (Canon, 3rd party) and wireless (3rd party, including a smartphone option, IIRC).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
Puzzling, this S200 looks the same as the S100, yet it jumped by a full 100 model numbers from 100 to 200. Previously we went 90, 100, 110 ... something doesn't add up. What is this camera?

Good point

ygbsm

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
Another positive report for the RX100.  I was worried about the menus, etc., but after I turned off that irritating splash screen that showed up each time you changed settings, I was fine.  Very nice image quality and far less shutter lag than my Canon S95.  With slower SD cards, it does sometimes take a while to close down the lens after you hit the power button to turn the camera off.   
To carry it, I modified a Sony semi-hard belt case (LCMCSVH/B?) to open horizontally rather than vertically installing gussets to limit how far the thing can open and replacing the stock case zipper with the far easier to manipulate one from a LowePro Santiago 20.  When stuffing it into a bag for travel, I put it into a Pelican 1010 Micro case into which it fits nicely.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »