April 23, 2014, 07:48:44 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III with Continuous RAW Video Recording  (Read 30066 times)

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III with Continuous RAW Video Recording
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
 It's the kind of announcement that I'm glad to hear and apprehensive of at the same time.
 Lets hope it's developed and shared before canon does something to put a cap on it .
Think about it, Canon cameras are capable of so much more then they enable with their firmware.  Most of the features that ML enables Canon wants to sell us as separate items like accessories for shooting time-lapse movies and whatnot.
 I'm very happy about the add on features but worry Canon is going to try an nip it on the bud .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »

They are claiming that heat is not really an issue, in reality the 1DX "should" be hackable and not have the heat issues too.
The thing stopping them there is Canons legal team.

I wonder how long it will take before Canon come down on ML for releasing this.
It could put a large dent in C100/C300 sales.

Well, if ML is doing a clean room reverse engineer of the camera, that should be perfectly legal. He isn't doing anything that helps 'circumvent' safe guards....like people have come down on gaming mods for. This hack doesn't allow you to circumvent copyrighted material.

One is allowed to do what they wish with hardware they purchase (at least still for now, although the corps are trying more and more to infringe on that)....so, this should be perfectly legal.

However, Canon can still throw legal threats around if they wish, whether they have merit or not. These days, it doesn't matter if you have a legal case or not...it is deep pockets that often win.

However, if Canon were to do this, the "Streisand Effect" might take place, especially if he's released the code open source and other people take the code and join in the efforts. Canon might get more spread and publicity of this type code rather than stiffling it.

But generally, if you're doing a clean room reverse engineer on hardware you bought and own, with no NDA's signed, etc...you should be perfectly legal.

If Canon legal comes knocking on ML's front door, I'd say first thing he might do, is contact the EFF and try to get them on his side with their legal help/advice.

My $0.02,

cayenne

I think Canon are secretly happy with this.  ML has been around for quite sometime and Canon knows how much ML helped them sell a lot of 5D2s.  Who knows, they might also profit by adopting those free codes to their new cameras thereby raising raising their value without even doing anything... Good times!

RAWShooter126

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »
This is all beautiful, and I'm very happy for 5DMarkIII owners, but... what about Canon 1Dx ???
Double with price, and still with no Canon or ML firmware to some major upgrade in video for our expensive camera!?
Now, 5DMarkIII will have better video capabilities, better picture in video, raw video recording... and 1Dx - NO !
Great, just great... that's why 1Dx cost more than 2 x 5DMarkIII so we could have less quality for double the price.
Wonderful... beautiful... great...    ::)
The only reason ML doesn't release for the 1Dx is because Canon have made a very bold, public statement, that if any third party modifies any camera in the EOS 1 line at a software level then they will feel the might of Canon's entire legal team
7D, 5D3, 17-40, LEE's, Nifty 1.8, Siggy 18-50 2.8-4.5, Siggy 10-20 4-5.6, Tamron 70-200 2.8

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »
I think Canon are secretly happy with this.  ML has been around for quite sometime and Canon knows how much ML helped them sell a lot of 5D2s.  Who knows, they might also profit by adopting those free codes to their new cameras thereby raising raising their value without even doing anything... Good times!

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon actually helped ML out with this. The timing is really suspicious.  Right after the failed(or at least underwhelming) firmware upgrade, and just as BMCC is coming on strong.

This is something that we could have had 5 years ago on the 5D2(except maybe CF cards were not fast enough then)!!!

Either way I'm happy, this means a new lease on life for my 5D for video.

crazyrunner33

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
Looking forward to this once there are faster and more affordable cards in the next year or so.  Canon more than likely had zero involvement with this, it was discovered on accident while creating a histogram for RAW photography.  Seeing this live DNG feed through the HDMI is not possible, this has been discussed extensively on the Magic Lantern forums.  Heat is also not so much of an issue because the sensor is already pushing out the RAW feed.

BMCC will still be the way to go for RAW video due to it being more reliable and the easier workflow with compressed RAW, but this is a gamechanger for people on a budget or hobbyists.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
Great news ! ... my 5DIII has an even longer, and more productive future!

aside ... why doesn't Canon hire these guys (ML), and blow every other brand out of the water?

Because Canon only really competes with itself at the moment =P
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

peederj

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
and might be better than the C300 and definitely better than the BlackMagic Cinema Camera.

The BMCC still has more than a stop better DR (than the 5D3), and as of now, more resolution for continuous shooting. And while the c300 is a much easier camera to use, BMCC's best image blows the c300 out of the water.

Oh please not more BMCC Koolaid. The C300 image (especially recorded externally) is one of the cleanest 1080p images in the entire business with virtually no moire or false color artifacts and lovely color science. The BMCC fanboys (some of whom are or were apparently secretly in the employ of Blackmagic Design) keep repeating nonsense but repeating something ad nauseum does not make it true. IQ test: hand a better DP (who isn't taking money or gear from either company, and who didn't learn what they know from reading online forums) a C300 and a BMCC and see which one s/he hands to the intern to shoot BTS.

Yes even Andrew (who I think, to his credit, is too random a figure for anyone to consider buying off) has declared the BMCC dead with this new hack. It's just about as annoying to use as RAW on a BMCC and the 5d3's a much better sensor and camera. I think even the official HDMI out from the 5D3 recorded into a Ninja 2 is a superior image to BMCC RAW.

RAW is really not all that as so many people insist. If the only choice is between RAW and JPEG, ok, we all choose RAW. But ProRes 422 HQ 10 bit with a log gamma is every bit as good as RAW in practice, and vastly more practical. JPEG (and the video version MJPEG) is very lossy like H.264 is, and 4:2:0 AVCHD is very constricting in post. But the system we have working today with the 5D3, recording the entire pixel-binned sensor in 8 bit 422 with Cinestyle onto a Ninja 2 in ProRes HQ is quite a nice image. (Though not nearly as nice, lowlight or otherwise, as the C series image externally recorded.)

This RAW hack will give only an incremental improvement over that, in one of two ways. You will get 12 bit color but still it will be subsampled to 4:2:2 (not exactly RAW in my book, which I define as "a lossless record of all sensor information"). And your dynamic range will be stored in full fidelity 14 bit as opposed to being mapped to a gamma...gaining you about 1 stop in practice and a bit less propensity for banding than using the Cinestyle/Ninja approach. Worth constantly swapping costly CF cards and then having huge post hassles for? Maybe in an extreme HDR run-n-gun situation where it would be more hassle to use gels/lights/reflectors/butterflies to control DR.

The other thing against this hack is, if they are using the full sensor, they must be downsampling (binning?) to 1080p or similar resolutions. Which will give at least some of the 5D3 soft video look. Either that or they are cropping (and I understand at least in some settings they are) to the native resolution of the sensor. This cropping to 1:1 pixel is going to be terribly noisy and will require NR in post. You can also get this cropping/digital zoom trick with the current HDMI out, by zooming in 5x or 10x in focus assist and recording the zoomed image (which comes out 4:3 but you can crop in post) and it is noisy too.

Overall I think this is a good development only because it silences a lot of idiocy coming from the Blackmagic fanboys. I don't know how their paid operatives will spin this, other than "We don't force you to use hacks! We're on your side!" Well the entire Blackmagic camera line is a series of hacks so that doesn't change much. If ML is able to make this really pleasant in practice (perhaps with a hi-def codec...I will have to see how MJPEG looks) then this will replace the HDMI out/Ninja option for people not needing long shooting times. But I don't see any scenario where this hacked 5D3 is a superior image to a C300 or C100 + Ninja 2 under any circumstances. That's silly talk.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Looking forward to this once there are faster and more affordable cards in the next year or so.  Canon more than likely had zero involvement with this, it was discovered on accident while creating a histogram for RAW photography.  Seeing this live DNG feed through the HDMI is not possible, this has been discussed extensively on the Magic Lantern forums.  Heat is also not so much of an issue because the sensor is already pushing out the RAW feed.

BMCC will still be the way to go for RAW video due to it being more reliable and the easier workflow with compressed RAW, but this is a gamechanger for people on a budget or hobbyists.

I have read about the DNG feed not being able to be fed through the HDMI, but, I wonder if this 'raw' feed discovered here could be sent through the cable?

After all, it is just data...it would be the bee's knees (did I just really say that?) if they could push this data out of the HDMI, or maybe even the USB connection to the camera, to an external recorder.

At that point, all bets are off on this I'd say....

C

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
I wonder why the Canon legal team would look the other way on this hack since it's on the 5D3, but throw down the hammer whenever hacking the 1D X is mentioned?  :o

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Definitely a potential game changer for some narrative work, and people doing really short clips. But anyone doing event work (weddings, etc) wouldnt really be able to use it. I remember how mad people were at the 4GB limit (which meant 12mins or so); no way they'd settle for 700 frames.

But, since I'm one of the people who records short clips, I'd love this capability in my 60D, even if its for 10-15s

Just to clarify, it would appear that the amount of footage that the 5D3 is able to record is limited only by the card size. We're not talking about 700 frames, we're talking 24 minutes on a 64gig card (apparently with no overheating issues).

Stay tuned!

East Wind Photography

• 6D
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
Will be interesting to see if they can get RAW video out on the HDMI port as well.  If so then that opens the world up to using a blade...forget the CF cards.

Regarding heat, they did not say that heat wasnt an issue.  They said that they did not know if heat would be an issue or not.  Canon does build in some safeguards to protect the camera from self destructing into a ball of flames.  The issue here is now long will the 5D3 record RAW video before the camera shuts down.  That's where the difference lies with the 1DC and CXXX series.  They can pretty much shoot video all day without a heat problem.... STILL, the 5D3 may very well be an option when a budget is of concern and the videographer doesn't mind spending some down time to cool off.

Yes it's still early in the development and we may find out that this mode causes permanent damage to internal components due to inadequate heat dissipation....but if you are running ML then you already understand that could happen at any time for any reason.

Definitely a potential game changer for some narrative work, and people doing really short clips. But anyone doing event work (weddings, etc) wouldnt really be able to use it. I remember how mad people were at the 4GB limit (which meant 12mins or so); no way they'd settle for 700 frames.

But, since I'm one of the people who records short clips, I'd love this capability in my 60D, even if its for 10-15s

The thing to remember is this is still in early stages.

They are already working on continuous shooting.
The other issue there is the size and costs of the 1000x and 1066x cards.
I wonder if or when they get the HDMI out working as well, you could hook it up to an Ninja 2 and basically have no need for space or card issues?

The 1Dc is basicaly a 1Dx with other Software and a bigger heat sink.
I'm not sure if it is the same problem here but I'd be carefull not to damage my 5D due to more heat from the raw output.
They are claiming that heat is not really an issue, in reality the 1DX "should" be hackable and not have the heat issues too.
The thing stopping them there is Canons legal team.

I wonder how long it will take before Canon come down on ML for releasing this.
It could put a large dent in C100/C300 sales.

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I wonder why the Canon legal team would look the other way on this hack since it's on the 5D3, but throw down the hammer whenever hacking the 1D X is mentioned?  :o

I think it's because the two cameras are purchased by different types of people. I own a 5D3, but would not dream of buying a 1D X or 1D C...if I needed to shoot in 4K, I'd rather rent (probably a RED Scarlet or the upcoming BMCC Pro).

Canon understands that a hacked 5D3 will see a surge in sales due to Magic Lantern, but they also understand that a hack in the 1D X to match the 1D C specs would result in a drop in purchases for that camera.

Say what you will about Canon, but they're not idiots.

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Will be interesting to see if they can get RAW video out on the HDMI port as well.  If so then that opens the world up to using a blade...forget the CF cards.

My understanding is that HDMI encodes data in such a way that it is not designed to transmit RAW. It does support 422 uncompressed, but as we have seen the results are not particularly stellar. I think there is a good deal of confusion as to the difference between RAW and Uncompressed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
Oh please not more BMCC Koolaid. The C300 image (especially recorded externally) is one of the cleanest 1080p images in the entire business with virtually no moire or false color artifacts and lovely color science. The BMCC fanboys (some of whom are or were apparently secretly in the employ of Blackmagic Design) keep repeating nonsense but repeating something ad nauseum does not make it true. IQ test: hand a better DP (who isn't taking money or gear from either company, and who didn't learn what they know from reading online forums) a C300 and a BMCC and see which one s/he hands to the intern to shoot BTS.

Look at the videos online, the evidence is overwhelming, the very best of the c300 is outclassed by the very best from the BMCC.  And the DR advantage is a fact. 

Yes even Andrew (who I think, to his credit, is too random a figure for anyone to consider buying off) has declared the BMCC dead with this new hack. It's just about as annoying to use as RAW on a BMCC and the 5d3's a much better sensor and camera. I think even the official HDMI out from the 5D3 recorded into a Ninja 2 is a superior image to BMCC RAW.

Now you are just talkin crazy. The 5D3 does not have a better sensor, it has a bigger sensor. The BMCC more than a stop advantage in DR, and a higher native ISO.

Sure there are other codecs that are almost as good as raw, but you don't get those on any Canon Camera other than the c500.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
I think it's because the two cameras are purchased by different types of people. I own a 5D3, but would not dream of buying a 1D X or 1D C...if I needed to shoot in 4K, I'd rather rent (probably a RED Scarlet or the upcoming BMCC Pro).

Canon understands that a hacked 5D3 will see a surge in sales due to Magic Lantern, but they also understand that a hack in the 1D X to match the 1D C specs would result in a drop in purchases for that camera.

Say what you will about Canon, but they're not idiots.

So, you're telling me that a hacked 5D3 won't cannibalize sales of their higher-end cameras and video recorders? I find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that a large number of 1D C cameras are being sold, as opposed to the 1D X. People who need the 1D C to shoot video all day long will continue to buy the 1D C. People who want to occasionally shoot video on the 1D X should be allowed to use the potentially more unstable hack if they want.

Is it true that if there are any rules ML would be breaking by modifying the 1D X, it would be the same as when modifying the 5D3?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »