July 28, 2014, 11:20:40 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III with Continuous RAW Video Recording  (Read 34966 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: New 5D3 Raw video samples mind blowing!
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
This is insanely awesome.

But keep in mind:
* no audio recording
* only 24 minutes of 1920x1080 24fps RAW video in a very expensive 128GB 1000x CF card
* when editing on a very fast computer, playback is around 1.5fps

Yeah, I read about 15min on a 64GB card, which I think I'd do a couple of them to start with (right now, must one man banding it on private projects)...but could always have one in the camera, one uploading to the computer. I think that would work to start with.

No audio, not that bad...and I've heard possibly they might could do audio later? But even so...just use a clapper and sync in post with external audio....I've got a couple of Rode video mics (latest is the stereo pro still in box)...and I have an older Zoom H2. I'm looking to get a couple of good lav mics that I can hook to small dig recorders, or maybe even the iphone/ipod for micing up talent...

I was thinking workflow might be something along off camera, somehow into Resolve Lite...then out from that to ProRes for FCPX editing...?

Hmm...It might be time for me to build that loaded up Hackintosh I've been toying about for the past year or so....

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
This is insanely awesome.

But keep in mind:
* no audio recording

The audio recording could be a bitch but then a clapboard will solve that problem for you.

* only 24 minutes of 1920x1080 24fps RAW video in a very expensive 128GB 1000x CF card

How many movies or TV shows feature more than 5 minutes of continuous footage of any one thing? (I suspect that even 5 minutes is a long take and that most are much shorter.)

So you've got plenty of room to video a take, transfer it to HDD, wipe the CF and do another.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III with Continuous RAW Video Recording
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
Newmann Films just posted a really neat 5D3 RAW video example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm8A7FH2Qg4

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
Newmann Films just posted a really neat 5D3 RAW video example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm8A7FH2Qg4

Looks like someone who doesn't know what they are doing with RAW... The EOSHD clip is much better.  I still want to see people's faces.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
Funny how in previous threads everyone wanted RAW video on Canon DSLRs, and now that it can be done everyone in this thread is so MEH about it, hahaha.

They are?? All I see is insane. Mind blowing. etc.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10324/big-news-hands-on-with-continuous-raw-recording-on-canon-5d-mark-iii

He updated the samples! Quality is just insane.

Just like that this may have become the best video DSLR ever. By MILES. And even outdo many of the more (even much more) expensive mid-tier video offerings.

The real crazy thing is that this capability also exists on the 5D2, that means we could have had video like this 5 years ago.  :o

At this point I am convinced that Canon helped ML get this up and running.  The timing is just too weird.

I still don't think it's quite on par with the BMCC, but it's definitely debatable now (we need more tests), and it wasn't before.

This is the coolest thing from Canon in the past 4 years, and ostensibly, they had nothing to do with it.   ;D

I'm not sure about that. So far the 5D2 samples are all jumpy and most I've seen have the same really bad aliasing and moire. The 5D2 sensor doesn't bin and skips tons of lines.

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
Look at how awful the false color artifacts (rainbow colors) are on the BMCC sensor vs. the 5D3 RAW rendering the pebbles on the path up the middle:

http://nofilmschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cinema5D_5D_Mark_iii_BMCC.jpg

Game set and match for Canon.

This all comes out clearly on test chart shots but for some reason we are NOT to have test chart shots. Period!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »

Canon_Tabs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but will shooting continuous RAW kill off your shutter?  From what I've seen so far, the camera captures raw images and you must compile them in post, so do all these raw files add to your cameras actuations?  Would really appreciate some insight on this, thanks!

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but will shooting continuous RAW kill off your shutter?  From what I've seen so far, the camera captures raw images and you must compile them in post, so do all these raw files add to your cameras actuations?  Would really appreciate some insight on this, thanks!

It will be no different than any other live view mode: mirror is locked up, as I think the shutter is too.

Everything the sensor is doing is 100% identical here...it's just the cripple codec that is being bypassed. Running the codec is actually more processor intensive than skipping it! So the only critical thing here performance wise is all the continuous write activity to the CF card. We will find out what the fast and reliable CF cards are soon this way...

Canon_Tabs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

It will be no different than any other live view mode: mirror is locked up, as I think the shutter is too.

Everything the sensor is doing is 100% identical here...it's just the cripple codec that is being bypassed. Running the codec is actually more processor intensive than skipping it! So the only critical thing here performance wise is all the continuous write activity to the CF card. We will find out what the fast and reliable CF cards are soon this way...

Thanks Peederj, I appreciate the explanation!

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
Looks like someone who doesn't know what they are doing with RAW... The EOSHD clip is much better.  I still want to see people's faces.
Did you see the clouds?  Those would likely be blown out with regular video.

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »
Look at how awful the false color artifacts (rainbow colors) are on the BMCC sensor vs. the 5D3 RAW rendering the pebbles on the path up the middle:
[size=78%]http://nofilmschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cinema5D_5D_Mark_iii_BMCC.jpg[/size]

Hmm is this a general issue with Black Magic sensors? Or is it a contrived example?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:03:05 AM by eyeland »
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:12 AM »
[size=78%]http://nofilmschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cinema5D_5D_Mark_iii_BMCC.jpg[/size]

Hmm is this a general issue with Black Magic sensors? Or is it a contrived example?

It tends to be a problem with sensors that work at or near native resolution. The BMCC sensor is only 2.5 megapixels and as a result has no downsampling approach to dealing with moire. At that low resolution, they decided not to use an OLPF because it would lose them their sharpness. With a bayer pattern sensor the grid of photosites tends to cause false color artifacts, which are hard to suppress...but Canon and Sony have learned how to do so quite well. Not so Blackmagic.

Blackmagic has a camera in development that shoots 4K video and is Super 35 sized. However the inexpensive sensor they chose for that is not particularly great at dynamic range. The core ergonomic problems of the BMCC design have also not been addressed in that camera. They have a pocket camera coming out that competes with the GH3 but has the same problems as their current sensor.

What Blackmagic is extremely good at is internet marketing. Not cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:12 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
Magic Lantern RAW video for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III comes to the Mac & OSX
http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/05/magic-lantern-raw-video-for-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-comes-to-the-mac-osx/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Planet5dBlog+%28Planet5D+Blog%29

This was very helpful. It looks like the RAW workflow is starting to take shape!

I want to preface my next question by saying that I'm a video n00b. Should I do most of my tonal/color adjustments in ACR, or should I wait until I have the footage in AE/Premiere and do most of it in Davinci Resolve, MB Looks, etc.? Does it matter where I do it? My instincts tell me that there are two competing issues:

1. Which program is better at a specific task (e.g., recovering blown out clouds).

2. Flexibility of not having to go upstream to make changes to footage and then re-import downstream. For example, if I do my tonal/color work in ACR, won't that mean I have to go back-and-forth, rather than being able to quickly make adjustments via plugin without the extra step of re-importing?

Again... I'm just a n00b here. :-)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:18:32 PM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »