December 20, 2014, 08:04:58 AM

Author Topic: the rebate program... what a sham!  (Read 17831 times)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: the rebate program... what a sham!
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »

Here's what I've seen (and this may vary from product to product): Canon puts out the rebate.  Everyone raises their prices to the MAP so that they are eligible to participate.  Except Amazon.  Amazon lowers their price to what everyone else's price would be with the rebate.  Amazon eats the cost difference, but utterly destroys the market for everyone else, because when customers do price comparison on various websites, their price looks to be several hundred bucks cheaper even though it is actually the same price.

This discount program is basically cutting off Canon's resellers at the knees.  It seriously needs to stop.  This is not the way to clear the channel of overstock of old models before a product announcement....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »

BrokenArrow

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
Timing is everything. I had a meeting in Administration at the University yesterday.  The place is in full swing for the graduation tomorrow.  I also saw, if you can believe this, three students in three different groups around the campus with white lenses taking pics of their girlfriends (all three photogs were very young ladies).  Recalling the earlier discussion about Canon vacuuming up tax rebate dollars from the uninitiated, I think we can add potential grad presents from parents/grandparents to the list of retail reasons Canon may have extended the current "rebate" as well.  Indeed, I note that this morning that the Biggies have jumped their body prices yet another $100 and Canon has mysteriously just run completely out of stock on just about everything refurbished (at least according to Canon Price Watch 30 minutes ago).  I don't have any fearless predictions but as I mentioned earlier, this program is likely working to Canon's satisfaction or they would be doing something else, they're not dumb.  The Summer will be an interesting time to watch as these "peak" retail harvest seasons go away and they try, try I say, to gather back those of us who actually regularly buy the more expensive gear who haven't jumped ship yet (7100 sitting right here on my desk for eval with no 7DII or 70D or ? to compete). 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by BrokenArrow »

backcountrygirl

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
Indeed, I note that this morning that the Biggies have jumped their body prices yet another $100 and Canon has mysteriously just run completely out of stock on just about everything refurbished (at least according to Canon Price Watch 30 minutes ago).  I don't have any fearless predictions but as I mentioned earlier, this program is likely working to Canon's satisfaction or they would be doing something else, they're not dumb.  The Summer will be an interesting time to watch as these "peak" retail harvest seasons go away and they try, try I say, to gather back those of us who actually regularly buy the more expensive gear who haven't jumped ship yet (7100 sitting right here on my desk for eval with no 7DII or 70D or ? to compete).

Refurbished out of stock? That doesn't surprise me at all. Especially with the lenses...
Let's just say consumers are watching prices more than ever before. I think it goes back to when the economy was in worse shape. People are watching what they spend, and how they spend it. Granted... the purchasing of consumers have been more positive in the last 6 months, but the eagle eye on prices still exist.
I guess that's why it's perplexing as to the gap in prices between the Nikon and Canon models ( $700? 5D Mark III versus Nikon D800 ). Not every consumer understands how a camera works in detail, but if you go into a best buy for instance the sales guy will use big numbers to rope in a customer. The big numbers I'm talking about is Mega Pixels and price!
You can get a Nikon with 36 MP for $700 less than a Canon with 22.3 MP. Customers will go WOW!!! What a deal!!!
Bottom line is this... The average consumer doesn't understand that both camera's in reality pretty equal when you look at all the pluses and minuses. All they see is the price number one, and the value number two of the Mega Pixel difference. This is what a lot of electronic retail chains are doing to sell camera's now. It's all about the WOW factor, and Nikon has two big WOW factors that these sales people are using. I know this first hand. I walked into a large electronics chain and asked lots of questions just to see what the vibe was in the stores. This is what I saw, and what I experienced.
It was an interesting experience to say the least...
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 100mm 2.8 IS L Macro, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 II IS L, Canon 300mm 4.0 IS L, Canon 10-22mm IS, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS L, Canon 1.4 Extender III, Canon 24mm II 3.5 Tilt Shift L, Canon 17-40mm 4.0 IS L, ( 2 ) Canon EX-600

BrokenArrow

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
What's the old Chinese curse?  May you live in interesting times.   ;D  Certainly that curse is in full swing for camera marketing people.   Are you studio shooting more commercial work these days or field work?  Very happy to hear that you contracted on the additional new 5DIII setup.  Magnificent thing it is!  You're gonna need more shipping containers you lucky person!  hahaha

BrokenArrow

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
Some corrections needed from me.  I had stated that bodies had gone up by $100 the other day but, with the exception of the non-kit 6D, they were raised by $200 in one fell swoop.  And although the earlier report about refurb stock at Canon Price Watch was accurate, I must have caught them in an update period that morning.  Stock across refurbs is low but apparently not to the level I indicated.  My apologies.   With the dollar up against the yen by 30+%, due to a concerted effort by the Japanese government since last fall, you would think there would be a certain amount of price flexibility in the downward direction instead of up.  However, such times are prime time for padding the margin before price competition restarts.  The ~6% price rise this week added to that yen change  is a 36-40% price movement, a price increase if you will (I have chosen not to start the comparison with the low price points prior to the "rebate").  Nice work if you can get it.  It should be remembered though that up till last October Canon, like other Japanese manufacturers, suffered some from the exchange rate. Still, this aggressive, planned move of their currency is not a flash in the pan, it is a long term policy that I expect to see maintained as they try to get their moribund economy back running again. It remains to be seen if Canon's (and others) pricing will reflect that or if our demand will allow them to charge these newer prices.  It's not going our way folks, good time to wait and watch.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:00:25 PM by BrokenArrow »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »