December 19, 2014, 02:37:05 AM

Author Topic: M RAW or "full" RAW on a Canon 6d?  (Read 6657 times)

billnelson75

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
M RAW or "full" RAW on a Canon 6d?
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:51 AM »
Just curious what most are using with their 6D or even Mark III?  M RAW to save file space, or "full" RAW?  According to the manual it is faster to shoot in full RAW, but the files are about 30% larger.  How much quality will I lose if I shoot in M RAW?  What are the drawbacks?  When would you shoot ful full RAW, and when would someone shoot in M RAW?  Also, why would full raw, with larger files sizes be faster in burst mode than M RAW?

Any info or help on this would be great, thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

M RAW or "full" RAW on a Canon 6d?
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:51 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: M RAW or "full" RAW on a Canon 6d?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:43:09 AM »
full u shot raw for the flexibility in posdt

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:59 AM »
Full RAW for the same raison as bycostello

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
Also, why would full raw, with larger files sizes be faster in burst mode than M RAW?

Because M RAW is processed from the full RAW?
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

Rams_eos

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
Good question because why using an inferior raw file?
The purpose of getting the most of a picture is lost!

Some good explanations from Canon:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/image_compression/file_types_raw_sraw_and_jpeg.do

Hope it helps,

Canon-F1

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »
of course i only use the worst quality formats available to me.
i would love to have a 16 color grayscale format but canon does not listen.

that´s why i bought an expensive DSLR system....

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
Good question because why using an inferior raw file?
The purpose of getting the most of a picture is lost!

Some good explanations from Canon:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/image_compression/file_types_raw_sraw_and_jpeg.do

Hope it helps,

Wrong !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
Wrong !

What's 'wrong' is Canon's explanation of M RAW.  It doesn't have 'all the advantages' of RAW because the data aren't raw. A RAW file is just that - the actual pixel luminance values with the color assignment from the CFA. The M RAW file is de-mosaiced and color interpolated (and 1/4 of the pixels are double-interpolated - their color value is interpolated from their already-interpolated neighbors). 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
Wrong !

What's 'wrong' is Canon's explanation of M RAW.  It doesn't have 'all the advantages' of RAW because the data aren't raw. A RAW file is just that - the actual pixel luminance values with the color assignment from the CFA. The M RAW file is de-mosaiced and color interpolated (and 1/4 of the pixels are double-interpolated - their color value is interpolated from their already-interpolated neighbors).

I did actually explain, or rather try to explain why the statement in red is wrong, but I kept getting 'access denied' ! All it would accept in the end was 'wrong'  ;D

s or m RAW still allows conversion to a 16 bit TIFF, and thereby important post processing data, a very useful feature for working photographers who may shoot over 1000 frames at an event, any number of which may require pp.

billnelson75

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
According to the manual, the M Raw uses 11M pixels, so what I should have probably asked is if this is equivalent to a full RAW file shot with an 11m camera?  I had a 5D, which was only 12M, and it still took beautiful photos, but it sounds like there is some degradation of the data to get the 20M pixel photo down to 11.  Which probably doesn't make it worth it.  Thanks for the help everyone.

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
What about sRAW. Isn't it better than mRAW in terms of it's interpolating pattern? It takes 4 pixels and makes them one.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

mhvogel.de

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
...Also, why would full raw, with larger files sizes be faster in burst mode than M RAW?...
i'm using full raw, for the reason that m raw can not be processed with dxo software.

i would use full raw under most other circumstances as well, except emergencies (running out of memory-cards when shooting, pp.), though the storage-costs are affordable & i'd rather have the additional resolution. i do not see the disadvantages of the full resolution raws.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »
I use SRAW1 on de 5D2, and MRAW on the 7D. Just to reduce file size as 10 megapixels is enough for me. Quality-wise I am perfectly happy with the reduced raw size, also in comparison with the full raws. I use DPP.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:59 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Just curious what most are using with their 6D or even Mark III?  M RAW to save file space, or "full" RAW?  According to the manual it is faster to shoot in full RAW, but the files are about 30% larger.  How much quality will I lose if I shoot in M RAW?  What are the drawbacks?  When would you shoot ful full RAW, and when would someone shoot in M RAW?  Also, why would full raw, with larger files sizes be faster in burst mode than M RAW?

You lose a decent amount. Those RAWs are not even truely full real RAWs, they've been debayered and so on already and give up a good bit of resolution and reach.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

M RAW are slower because they need a lot of processing to be converted from a full RAW to a pseudo RAW M RAW.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »