October 20, 2014, 04:42:42 AM

Author Topic: Which is the best "normal" prime for a Crop Camera?  (Read 20342 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best "normal" prime for a Crop Camera?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
well some people, myself definitely included, can't really afford to buy things 'for the moment' and so they gotta somehow look at the future too to see what would suit their needs better. obviously if you can afford to buy lenses for the gear you have now, and repurchase them when your needs change, then good for you.

I think the point is that you actually don't lose much money (probably much less than you think, anyway) by catering to your current needs rather than hypothetical future, especially if you can find good used lenses that don't lose value at all. Some lenses work as well for both APS-C and FF, but if you plan to stay APS-C for a while, then you are probably much better served by, e.g., buying better suited EF-S zooms than more expensive wide/normal L-zooms that are heavier, somewhat wrong focal range, and don't produce much better quality on the APS-C than the APS-C-optimised EF-S lenses. It mostly depends on how much photography you plan to do before your FF upgrade.

Exactly - and for many, that FF upgrade remaing 'soon' for a LONG time.  For example, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS delivers better optical quality than either the 24-70mm f/2.8L or 24-105mm f/4L IS (when comparing all on a 1.6x body), and provides a true general purpose zoom (wide to short tele, whereas 24mm on APS-C is not wide angle).

As for losing money, I wanted an ultrawide lens before I had a FF body, got the EF-S 10-22mm.  Sold it nearly a year later, after getting my 5DII, for a loss of $50 - and that was before the jump in lens prices earlier this year.  If I sold it today, I'd have made a profit (after less than 18 months of ownership).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

YoukY63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

Ok, based on this review and test, no surprise there:
http://www.lenstip.com/245.1-Lens_review-Canon_EF_24_mm_f_1.4L_II_USM.html

24mm 1.4L seems quite sharper than 35mm 1.4L. Still taken over from the above review, here are the two charts (left 24mm, right 35mm):

Thanks for the figures, but be carreful when you compare tests from different reviews.

In these tests, 24mm and 50mm can be compared together because they have been made on the same sensor: Canon 50D (15MP).
On the other hand, the 35mm has been tested on a Canon 20D (8MP)! So it is very logical that numbers seems lower than for the 2 other guys.
So regarding linear pixel density, the ratio between both cameras is 1.356.
To "compare" these results, you have to divide results from the 24mm and the 50mm by 1.356.

After that, I don't think you will see the 35mm as weaker than the 2 other ones...  ;)
Canon 5D MkII + 24-105mm f/4L + 70-200mm f/4L IS + 35mm f/1.4L + 85mm f/1.2L + 135mm f/2L + Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
I'm not going to quote reviews or comment on camera specs.  My suggestion is based on my own experience with crop and FF cameras.  I have a 30D, 40D, 60D and 5D.  I own or have owned many of the lenses mentioned here.  I carry the 28mm f/1.8 EF USM prime lens for the exact reason you want one and I love using it.  It's a well made lens that isn't cheap and isn't super expensive.  (I like the saying that L stands for Expensive as L!)  I have several other zoom L lenses that cover the same focal length (and I love/use them also) but the 28/1.8 is a great lens on both the crop and FF cameras.  I much prefer it to the 50mm prime lenses I own.  I use it a lot in low light.  Keep in mind that low light sometimes requires some manual focus skill regardless of the lens or camera.  Just my 2 cents.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
I like the Sigma 30mm.  This one taken at F1.4 with a 50D.

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
Sorry - didn't work!  I tried to insert an image using the icon at the left of the second row, and typing in its full path name.  What did I do wrong?

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
You didn't upload it to a web server, and I can't access your K:\ hard drive over the Internet.  You need to have it hosted somewhere before you can display it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
Upload your image to this forum using the Attachments and other options link below the text entry box.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.  I'll try again!   Sigma 30mm at F1.4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »