December 17, 2014, 04:49:07 PM

Author Topic: Advice on 1st flash  (Read 8163 times)

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on 1st flash
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

The odd thing is that my inexpensive Yongnuo flash has all of those things on your list... obviously there's no guarantee it'll work on future bodies, but I doubt Canon would completely change their flash system to deliberately trip up 3rd party manufacturers.  They'd have to release firmware upgrades for their entire back catalogue of digital camera bodies to support the new system too, which would be costly.

However, there is no doubt that a 430EX II would make a *superb* first camera flash, and for US$259 (in the USA), why not?  In my country the 430EX costs more than US$400, which is why I chose the Yongnuo ($180).   :o
Canon doesn't have to do a complete change to their flash system to "trip up 3rd party manufacturers."  With my 40D I was having excellent results with my Sigma 500 flash.  Then I bought my 7D and it no longer would work.  Some of the Sigma 500 flashes could be rechipped to work but mine was the older model that couldn't.  I still use it with my 40D kit and it is an excellent slave flash so it wasn't a total loss.  Just a demonstration that change can be incremental and my 580EX II replacement works with my wife's 30D and my 40D.

I actually intend to get a Yongnuo unit for slave purposes so I am not trying to discourage anyone from using them.  Read a lot of good reports on them but people should be aware that a simple change from Canon might make them of little use in the future unless you want them as off camera slaves.
You've made a very valid point.  I also have the Sigma 500DG Super (purchased in 2004), but it doesn't even work on my 40D, so I've been using it off camera.

Since you're intending to get one, you'll be pleased to know that the Yongnuo is a big step up from the Sigma in terms of build quality and features.  :)
If I remember correctly, always problematical at my age, I originally bought the 500DG Super for my rebel or my 20D.  It worked fine on the 40D.  But it failed completely on-camera with the 7D so I bought the 580EX II for a replacement.  Some of the 500DG flashes could be rechipped but my didn't qualify for some reason....which escapes me now (see memory=problematical above). 

Glad to hear that the Yongnuo is better in build quality and features since I have always been very please with the build quality and features of the Sigma.  You have probably helped me make up my mind to get one.  But when my grand-daughter needed a flash a few years back for her "rebel" class camera (again memory fails as to model) I bought her a 430....but I tend to over indulge my kids, grand-kids, and great-grand-kids.  :)
The Old Sarge

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

anthonyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »
I've had the 430 ex II for a few years now and I'm satisfied with its performance but _NOT_ with the buttons.  They are tiny and unless you are changing the settings through the camera, it's a major pain in the butt.

I also own an ancient Sunpak flash which I always use in manual mode with Yongnuo remote triggers.  It has a slider for 1/32 - 1/1 output power which you can change in a split second and it just works.  Here is a picture showing it in action (at 1/32 power) through a little handheld umbrella (although the picture itself was a failure, since the subject moved way too close to the light).

and here is a more successful result with the same setup:

The point I'm trying to make here is that you can't go wrong buying an external flash.  After you get used to using more than ambient light even the crappiest flash will be able to give you nice results.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »
I've had the 430 ex II for a few years now and I'm satisfied with its performance but _NOT_ with the buttons.  They are tiny and unless you are changing the settings through the camera, it's a major pain in the butt.

I also own an ancient Sunpak flash which I always use in manual mode with Yongnuo remote triggers.  It has a slider for 1/32 - 1/1 output power which you can change in a split second and it just works.  Here is a picture showing it in action (at 1/32 power) through a little handheld umbrella (although the picture itself was a failure, since the subject moved way too close to the light).

and here is a more successful result with the same setup:

The point I'm trying to make here is that you can't go wrong buying an external flash.  After you get used to using more than ambient light even the crappiest flash will be able to give you nice results.

+1 those buttons are just idiotic! One way around it it to use a wireless ettl trigger that allows you to control the flash using the in camera menu, I use pixel kings and together they make a pretty decent and affordable combo. It's my go to flexible lighting setup.

For portraits I prefer using manual flashes like the Yongnuo 560 II with RF 603 triggers. You can buy about 5 of these plus triggers for the price of one 600ex rt. cheap way to start out and get creative.
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
Another vote for the 430EX here. Good flash. Plenty powerful enough.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
430EX ii. It is an great flash. I found that I liked the tilt, swivel, bounce mechanism and use it on most every shot. I also learned later that more power would be nice in many situations so I bought the 600EX-RT. As of now the 600 is way too much flash for me, it's power was useful at my last wedding since we were in an extremely dark barn with an incredibly high domed ceiling. Apart from the last situation, the 430 should work very well for you.

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

Drum

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
I agree the 430 ex is a great flash, but I'd like to clarify a couple of points about the Yongnuo 565ex for those people who don't own one and won't accept anything but a Canon original. I can't comment about the other Yongnuo models as I only own the 565.
  Firstly the 565 does have ETTL ii and it works fine both on camera and off camera.

The Flash works off camera  for the 60d without any accessories (the op states its for a 60d) it uses the pop up flash and can work in ETTL or manual modes.

It has the same flash power rating of the 580exii

The 565 reads the camera menu and states the focal length on the menu eg 24mm 50mm 85mm  Correctly

The 565 is compatible with all current Canon models including the Rebels and the 5D2 and 3

The Yongnuo will also work off camera with some Nikon models ( I borrowed a friends D600 and was able to fire the flash off camera with both the D600 and the 60D without changing the settings) (I don't think the 430 is able for that)

With all respect to the people who will only ever buy Canon Flashes there are actually serious alternatives out there that may deserve consideration.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »