November 27, 2014, 12:39:05 PM

Author Topic: Advice on 1st flash  (Read 7939 times)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on 1st flash
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:14:29 AM »
Looks like I'm gonna be the one expressing the contrary opinion.  Save your money and buy a 580 EX II.  I've found that when I need to use the flash, for about 80–90% of shots, I use the built-in bounce card; the softer, less direct light makes for better close photography.  I really can't imagine trying to use a flash that lacks that feature.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:14:29 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:57 AM »
I have lenses by Sigma, Tokina, batteries by energiser, calumet.

I will only ever have a speedlite flash by canon.

Why?  Heres why:

Ease of use.  A novice can clip it on, switch it on and get decent results.

Integration with camera menu.  Including custom functions etc.

Easy Wireless control where supported.

Flash modelling preview.

Works properly wirh e-ttl pre-flash metering.

Works properly in hss mode.

Works properly in 2nd curtain mode.

Zooms with your lens correctly, even taking account of sensor.

Decent Af assist.

Future compatability with your next canon slr.

A cheap flash is like a cheap tripod.  Fine for very very occassionnal use with low expectations, a false economy uf you are in anyway harnessing the power of flash.

I have a 430ex and it's a good balance of size weight power features and cost.

I could sell it for around 60% of what I paid for it 6 years ago, my 6 year old body would get around 20% of its original value.

Don't get me wrong, I also have a cheap fully manual ring flash which gives me great results within it's design specifications and intended purpose, but if you want a speedlite you really want canon.

M.ST

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
The 430EX II is an excellent first flash for your camera. The 580EX II or 600EX is too big for your camera.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »
I have lenses by Sigma, Tokina, batteries by energiser, calumet.

I will only ever have a speedlite flash by canon.

Why?  Heres why:
The odd thing is that my inexpensive Yongnuo flash has all of those things on your list... obviously there's no guarantee it'll work on future bodies, but I doubt Canon would completely change their flash system to deliberately trip up 3rd party manufacturers.  They'd have to release firmware upgrades for their entire back catalogue of digital camera bodies to support the new system too, which would be costly.

However, there is no doubt that a 430EX II would make a *superb* first camera flash, and for US$259 (in the USA), why not?  In my country the 430EX costs more than US$400, which is why I chose the Yongnuo ($180).   :o
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
To confuse you more:

Go for the Nissin DI 866 Mark II

Power like the Canon 580, price like the 430,
Again the remote system is optical and not radio but it is a master flash.
Your 60D works as a master but if you ever enlarge your system the pop up flash will overheat very fast.

I use the Nissin as my primary  unit if I travel with more than one flash, the 430 if I travel with just one and if size matters, finaly I ad my Yongnuo to the 430 if I need 2 slaves.
They all work very nice together and all three can be configured from your camera menu

Consider to buy a 1m spiral connector cable to be able to use your flash away from the optical axis.

You can cut some money from the Nissin by buying a Mark I but than you have a flash that sounds like a dying escalator whenever it zooms and have to live with a plastic feet instead of metal.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »

The odd thing is that my inexpensive Yongnuo flash has all of those things on your list... obviously there's no guarantee it'll work on future bodies, but I doubt Canon would completely change their flash system to deliberately trip up 3rd party manufacturers.  They'd have to release firmware upgrades for their entire back catalogue of digital camera bodies to support the new system too, which would be costly.

That is really odd.  Thats it! I'm going to burn my 430EX!

Good luck with your yongnuo, health to use it mate.  It's not like E-TTL-II rendered a lot of third party lenses dead or anything is it?  Canon would change the firmware, or activate extra features in a heartbeat without a thought for yongnuo.

Good luck also if you ever come to sell your yongnuo too.

I've never used them, never will, and so cannot recommend them. 

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

That is really odd.  Thats it! I'm going to burn my 430EX!

Good luck with your yongnuo, health to use it mate.  It's not like E-TTL-II rendered a lot of third party lenses dead or anything is it?  Canon would change the firmware, or activate extra features in a heartbeat without a thought for yongnuo.

Good luck also if you ever come to sell your yongnuo too.

I've never used them, never will, and so cannot recommend them.
Haha don't burn your 430EX!  As I said in the rest of my post, my choice was financial.  If I bought a 430EX for $400 and sold it for 60% of what I paid for it, I still would have lost $160.  My Yongnuo was $180 new, so I think we can consider it disposable...  :P
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »
Well it would have been a no-brainer on this in the past.  I would have sent you to Midwest Photo Exchange to pick up a LumoPro LP-160.  Unfortunately, this flash is now discontinued and the next version has yet to be released to the public.  You could try to find someone who would part with a working one, but you would be hard pressed to do so as they are extremely versatile.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
430II is a good start to learn the basic's about on camera flash.

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »
430 EX II is a great flash...  grab it, enjoy it...  once/if you want to go off-camera, you can pick up a 580 or 600...  :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »
On camera 430 ex II

Off camera 600 ex rt (recommend as this is where you'll likely end up sooner or later)

Budget - Yongnuo YN 568 ex
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »

However, there is no doubt that a 430EX II would make a *superb* first camera flash, and for US$259 (in the USA), why not?  In my country the 430EX costs more than US$400, which is why I chose the Yongnuo ($180).   :o
Canon doesn't have to do a complete change to their flash system to "trip up 3rd party manufacturers."  With my 40D I was having excellent results with my Sigma 500 flash.  Then I bought my 7D and it no longer would work.  Some of the Sigma 500 flashes could be rechipped to work but mine was the older model that couldn't.  I still use it with my 40D kit and it is an excellent slave flash so it wasn't a total loss.  Just a demonstration that change can be incremental and my 580EX II replacement works with my wife's 30D and my 40D.

I actually intend to get a Yongnuo unit for slave purposes so I am not trying to discourage anyone from using them.  Read a lot of good reports on them but people should be aware that a simple change from Canon might make them of little use in the future unless you want them as off camera slaves.
The Old Sarge

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
Im looking to purchase my first flash unit and looking for help and suggestions. I currently own a canon 60d, 17-85mm ,50mm and the 75-300mm. I mostly do travel and outdoor photography and I'm not 100 percent sure how i want to us the flash yet, I just know I hate the pop up flash. My price point is right about 275, so that would be enough for the 430ex II new. And I was looking for thoughts and opinions on if looking at older used ex flashes would be useful. Want to get the best bang for the buck but also get I flash i will not out grow to fast. Thanks for the imput

Another vote for the 430 exii.   Great flash, and as others said, if you upgrade someday you can still use it as a slave.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »

Canon doesn't have to do a complete change to their flash system to "trip up 3rd party manufacturers."  With my 40D I was having excellent results with my Sigma 500 flash.  Then I bought my 7D and it no longer would work.  Some of the Sigma 500 flashes could be rechipped to work but mine was the older model that couldn't.  I still use it with my 40D kit and it is an excellent slave flash so it wasn't a total loss.  Just a demonstration that change can be incremental and my 580EX II replacement works with my wife's 30D and my 40D.

I actually intend to get a Yongnuo unit for slave purposes so I am not trying to discourage anyone from using them.  Read a lot of good reports on them but people should be aware that a simple change from Canon might make them of little use in the future unless you want them as off camera slaves.
You've made a very valid point.  I also have the Sigma 500DG Super (purchased in 2004), but it doesn't even work on my 40D, so I've been using it off camera.

Since you're intending to get one, you'll be pleased to know that the Yongnuo is a big step up from the Sigma in terms of build quality and features.  :)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
The 430ex ii can be used off camera with the 60d wirh no accesories.  Contrary to previous posts you don't need a 580 or 600 to use off camera with a 60d

I use my old 430 mk1 off camera with my 7d and 600d

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »