October 25, 2014, 10:42:49 AM

Author Topic: 600EX-RT speedlite deals?  (Read 10536 times)

msatter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 600EX-RT speedlite deals?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
Got yesterday my second 430EX II. I had a good deal on it because the shop gave a 16% discount on almost their whole assortment and then Canon has a cashback of 50 euros.

So I got my 430EX II for 159 euros instead of the normal price of 249 euros.

My collection of flash is now a 550EX, 580EX and two 430EX. The 550EX is not fash but will do as an extra flash when I need extra power in combination with a 430EX and the 580EX will now get the same function.

I use Pocketwizards so I can easily hookup the extra flash to the from distant controlled 420EX flashes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
Man, why did I bother to shoot without these for so long? I really should have bought 2 more @ that 375$ price. >:(

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
Man, why did I bother to shoot without these for so long? I really should have bought 2 more @ that 375$ price. >:(

Tell me about it...I'm still way on the noob side of things...but the images I'm playing around with are now "WOW" level.....at least to me.
:)

C

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
They just went back in stock. I was soo close to pulling the trigger on a couple of AlienBees but I bought two more of these instead. XD

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
And immediately back out of stock.  I nabbed one (my fourth!) thanks to http://www.canonpricewatch.com/.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »
They just went back in stock. I was soo close to pulling the trigger on a couple of AlienBees but I bought two more of these instead. XD

I gotta pay for this months purchases already...and 2x of the 600EXRT's are part of that. I'll play with these, maybe buy 1-2 more, and learn to use all these effectively.

Alien Bees are next on the block after that...the prices on those look quite reasonable for starting a studio type setup. I'm still trying to figure what remote system to get and works best with the AB's...their site has multiple of them, and I can't figure out easily the difference between them all....

Wish there was some way to fire off Alien Bees with 600EXRTs together, I've not figure that out yet....

cayenne

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »

I gotta pay for this months purchases already...and 2x of the 600EXRT's are part of that. I'll play with these, maybe buy 1-2 more, and learn to use all these effectively.

Alien Bees are next on the block after that...the prices on those look quite reasonable for starting a studio type setup. I'm still trying to figure what remote system to get and works best with the AB's...their site has multiple of them, and I can't figure out easily the difference between them all....

Wish there was some way to fire off Alien Bees with 600EXRTs together, I've not figure that out yet....

cayenne

Piece of cake, Have the 600RT on the hotshoe, and Use a flash bracket to hold a PW linked to the sync port on your camera. Both will sync just fine.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

cayenne

When using the 600EX-RTs in manual (M) with radio control there is no pre-flash making the use of optical triggers with studio flashes possible.  Having said that, I don't know if Alien Bees have this capability but optical triggering is one of the advantages of the 600EX-RT's.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »

It's not too complicated -- there's the Cybersync transmitter and Cybersync receiver. The transmitter triggers the reciever (manual only). If you want to control the power remotely via radio, then you need the Cyber Commander instead of the regular transmitter and the Plus (+) receivers instead of the regular receivers. Each of the receivers (plus and regular) is available in battery-powered or AC-powered variants.

If you have the Einstein lights then you can forget about all of that because you only need a $30 Einstein Cybersync transceiver for each light and a transmitter (either the regular one or the Cyber Commander which allows remote power control).

Your 5D3 has a PC port. Put the 600EX-RT on the hotshoe and then plug a Cybersync transmitter (or Cyber Commander if you want remote power control) into the PC port. The camera will trigger both at the same time. You can velcro the Cybersync/CyberCommander to the flash for easy access if you don't want to buy a bracket to hold it.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
Score! Two more 600s @ 373.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
Score! Two more 600s @ 373.

And gone....

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
$373 plus sales tax and shipping is not that good a deal unless you are in a zero sales tax state, factor in the refurb 3 month warranty instead of the new 12 month warranty and the fact that you can get new 600's for $499 with a set of rechargeable batteries and charger and I have been happy to get mine from B&H, oh you get a proper box too :-)
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
$373 plus sales tax and shipping is not that good a deal unless you are in a zero sales tax state, factor in the refurb 3 month warranty instead of the new 12 month warranty and the fact that you can get new 600's for $499 with a set of rechargeable batteries and charger and I have been happy to get mine from B&H, oh you get a proper box too :-)

In Illinois I had to pay close to 10% sales tax.  Still saved $100, don't need batteries or charger.  Have those.  Just wanted to lowest price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »

It's about a 100$ savings per speedlite. I've got 5 now so that's 500$ in savings.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
For goodness sake you two, I was trying to make the people that missed out feel better  ::)

But neither of you saved $100 so don't kid yourselves. RGF paid 10% sales tax, that is $37.30, plus shipping for a real bottom line total of closer to $430 per flash, a $66 saving without the batteries and charger, and who couldn't use another set of rechargeables? I have a million Eneloops but can always use more. But, for me, the killer of the deal is the short warranty on refurb, I use my six 600's a lot and love the fact that I have a 12 month warranty on such an item, resale value is higher on non refurb too should buying one be a commitment issue.

But you guys just keep rubbing it in to those who feel bad for missing out...........
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »