April 19, 2014, 01:49:24 AM

Author Topic: EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]  (Read 6197 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

New bits about the next EOS M

A new camera and a few lenses should be announced sometime in the summer months. A few new lenses will also be launched. One will be an 18-135 compact zoom as well as a telephoto zoom. It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Is there any chance that the patent recently for plastic elements is for the EOS M?

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

eric_ykchan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
For the AF speed is still that slow, why bother to buy more lenses that can only be used in EOS-M?

hiplnsdrftr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:47 AM »
Well the new body would presumably have better AF?

But considering it's all "entry level", no interest at all.

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
come on canon, fix the AF...  it doesn't have to be lightening fast, just a little bit quicker!
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
How about that much anticipated firmware update to the current EOS-M?
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
...an 18-135 compact zoom

Oxymoronic, surely...!

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Nor I and if Canon have said that then it shows a rather remarkable disconnect with where digital photography is going.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »

andyjaggy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Nor I and if Canon have said that then it shows a rather remarkable disconnect with where digital photography is going.

Yeah same here. More and more I see really good photographers drawn towards smaller powerful bodies. This confirms that Canon is completely lost. Maybe they see is as entry level because their current offering is half baked and not selling well.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Yeah same here. More and more I see really good photographers drawn towards smaller powerful bodies. This confirms that Canon is completely lost. Maybe they see is as entry level because their current offering is half baked and not selling well.
So could you please elaborate on this subject instead of coming up with these blanket statements?

tallrob

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

I think Canon's fear of cannibalizing their own DSLR line is extremely foolish.  As Steve Jobs said, if they don't do it, somebody else will.
So I bought an EOS M and a 6D - I love the black sheep!

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
For the AF speed is still that slow, why bother to buy more lenses that can only be used in EOS-M?
Already, a expert review of a non-existent new Camera!

tallrob

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
How about that much anticipated firmware update to the current EOS-M?

Yeah, what about it?  I believe part of the AF issue is hardware related, but not all of it.  Plus there are the other things that need improvement, like lack of real servo AF, the funky way AF+MF wrestle in Servo mode, MF requiring a trip to though menuville, etc.
So I bought an EOS M and a 6D - I love the black sheep!

botw

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
Sounds like another market opporunity for Sigma and Tamron... someone will make fast primes for the ef-m mount if Canon continues to support it. 

I still like my M, but a faster AF body would be great.  I have no real interest in a telezoom unless the AF works like my 1 series... :)  The 18-200s for NEX are huge and defeat the purpose of a small body. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
Canon just can't figure the market out. Just because a camera isn't full frame, doesn't mean that "pro's" won't like it. Many professional photographers (and un-professionals, the highly skilled amateurs) have uses for cameras which are not huge, heavy, and expensive. They can't figure out that there is a market for a compact high quality camera. Fuji with their 18-55 2.8-4 seem to be figuring this out. Also, Sigma has figured out that the APS/DX world is more than thirsty for a good wide zoom - the new 18-35 f1.8 fills this nicely. If Canon wants to stay relavent, they need to figure out what people actually want, and what they actually use cameras for. For example, a 1DX with 16-35 weighs a whole lot. It is big. If someone would make a 10-20 2.8, this would pony well on the EOS-M. But, the stupid M seems to lack most easy means of manual control; this and more is why I pass over it. Canon made Yet Another Mount, then has failed to back it up, when they could running this for all it's worth, if they would make a "professional" model.
What is truth?

gn100

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
An EOS-M coupled with the 22mm prime could make a nice enthusiasts compact camera and coupled with an adapter, a small backup body for DSLR owners ...... need to get that AF sorted though. I would have thought that another pancake prime e.g.30/35mm would be on the roadmap.

I'm due to replace my compact soon and am looking a M43 camera with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 ...... unless Canon can sort out the EOS-M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »