December 20, 2014, 11:51:27 AM

Author Topic: Standard Lens for Paris and London holiday.  (Read 5462 times)

honsten

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Lens for Paris and London holiday.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »
Just make the most of what you have, the 16-35 would be good because we have very narrow streets in London and especially Paris.
Personally speaking, I just slap the 40mm STM on the 6D for walking around/travel. Its so convenient and the optics are as good as it gets regardless of price. Maybe take one as a body cap ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
Cheers for the comments and thoughts folks - been out with the 24-70 today up Kinder Scout, love the handling, true to say that it's a boring focal range for landscapes, but it's going to be perfect in the city environments. I'm currently laid up nursing some sore feet but aim to get onto Lightroom tonight to check out the raw's ;-)

As for the trip, I really like my ultra wide shots, I'm travelling by train and staying in just one hotel at both London and Paris, so whilst walking around with my camera and a second spare lens is probably the way to go, I'll most likely be taking more kit than I'd usually take on a flight based holiday - happy days !
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
By way of an update - the photos from Kinder Scout came out great, but having used the 24-70mm today around London, I've got back to the hotel and scanned through them on the camera LCD away from the sun and bloody hell !!!!  What a cracking lens, just completely blown away with the colours, contrast and sharpness and pretty sure that it's going to be the main lens on my camera from here on.  My 16-35mm came out to play around St Paul's for a few shots, the 135mm didn't see light of day though, maybe if I go up The Shard ;-)

100% recommendation from me
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
I lived in Paris for 4 years...  for me i find wide was the way to go.  I did have fun with an UWA (10-22 on an APS-C), but i think 24 is wide enough (on FF) for most shots. 70 might be limiting, but I rarely used a tele (just my style for cities)...  so 24-70 would be my recommendation... keep it simple and enjoy the sights! :)

Check our Butte aux caille in the 13eme if you have time and want away from the tourist frey...  it is like the nottinghill of Paris. A bit bohemian. Also, check out "Les Frigos" (http://les-frigos.com/) if it is an open house when you're there... It is an old Fridge factory and now a artists hide-out.  Even when it is not an open house, you can usually go for a wander around it...  ;) Just a few local tips. :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Haydn

I use 5D3 ...

I already have the 16-35II, 14L II, 24-105, Sigma 35 1.4, 100L Macro, 85L II 135L, 70-200 f2.8 II and f4 I.S. .....
and tried the 24-70 II ... returned it for softness at 70mm....but may get it back.......  yes too much...I love them all

so what would I take to Paris / London  ?
well
my general plan was to make up THE most able and smallest kit for travel and/or home (I have too much gear)

the FIRST PLAN -  WAS  -  to have the 24-70 II ... THEN add the 135 f2 ....small and capable
and THEN add the 14L II  ..... get the WHOLE bridge in the shot

but then I tried the sigma 35 1.4 - wow....gotta have it on every trip now...

so ...adjusting
FIRST - I would NOT go to Paris without an ultrawide - for bridges, buildings, even museums -  end of story...

SECOND - for night or weak light
one needs a low-light walkaround that WORKS - the sigma 35 is PERFECT ... cafes, portions of lighted bridges, nicely framed day scenes
then a bit of low light 'reach' - the 135 (1a 1.4x TC still yields f2.8)

so for ME...I would take the following ...adding EACH new lens ... as I accepted more space/weight requirements

first - if ONLY one lens - the 24-105 is it... in a small single case ...and 3 batteries and a 3-4 VERY large cards or offload laptop ability.

if ONLY two  lenses ..... 16-35 II and  the 135L (for me I would cheat and take 50 1.8 ).... for you... take the 50 1.4
(so you already have the Paris kit)

if ONLY three lenses the 14L II(or 16-35), sigma 35 and 135L - that set is crazy good quality...very good low-light
if a FORTH lens is ok, THEN GET THE 24-70 II (and no 16-35 - stay with 14L II) ....
.........so at this point you have 14L II 35 sigma 135L AND a walk-around zoom - 24-70 .... all world-class optics
a 4 lens kit should do it ...add a 25mm tube and a tamron 1.4x sp pro
(a tamron 1.4x on the 135 L gains a little reach - with very little loss in quality or speed)

I cant see 70-200 (f2.8 OR f4) as a travel lens in cities

///////////////

my conclusion for you is - you have 16-35 and 50mm and 135L
this will do almost everything.... just use them....
I would swap the 50mm for the sigma if any change at all.... the sigma is as good @ 1.4 as the 50 is at f5.6 IMO - a killer

you could walk around the city with 16-35 all day ..ultrawide to near normal
I used 10-22(same as 16-35)  for 90% shots in Chicago over 3 days

also
I sometimes go out for long city walks with the 16-35 and a 100mm macro...like street fairs etc.. gets me close and wide... and fast enough
//////////////

one more thing ... in PARIS especially...
keep your kit VERY CLOSE -  I would run a little cable/lock thru the zippers on a back pack or carry in my front...
the little teenaged thieves are very clever and work in pairs in Paris... they partly unzipped our back pack TWICE at train station entrances ....EVEN when we knew they were there...
SMALLER KIT is BETTER

just my thoughts
TOM

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
Haydn
one more thing ... in PARIS especially...
keep your kit VERY CLOSE -  I would run a little cable/lock thru the zippers on a back pack or carry in my front...
the little teenaged thieves are very clever and work in pairs in Paris... they partly unzipped our back pack TWICE at train station entrances ....EVEN when we knew they were there...

Nice bit of scaremongering there, and i would add a slight overreaction...  like any other city, the key is not to make yourself appear a target. I am British and have experienced exponentially more crime in London than in Paris, and i have never lived in London.

Paris is safe, just be as smart as you would be in any city...  Enjoy :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
adhocphotographer

you think I am over reacting....?

ok...
I found London to be very safe been there a lot...
My brother lived ther 35 yrs..I visited regularly....felt at home

just a few times to Paris...LOVE it.. but there is a known thread of thieves as I described....
I stand by my report

the issues I described were also described by a number of posts I read...upon return and asking about other's experiences...

packs opened in 3-4 attempts ... zipping a bit at a time...
by trailing pair of thieves - one at watch - one behind you...in the tube or a crowd

so I believe Paris is a bit more risk.... and recognized as such.

but I am not an expert.....I defer to your expertise on Parisian/London Crime ...
me...I will stay alert....more alert in Paris

TOM

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:18:17 PM by TommyLee »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »