July 28, 2014, 09:38:52 AM

Author Topic: Focus Screens and Calibrators  (Read 3348 times)

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Focus Screens and Calibrators
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
Hey all,

Two questions:

How does the Brightscreen manual focus screen compare with Canon's own, say the EG-S for the 5D Mark II?

What do people have to say about the Spyder Pro or Elite display calibrator?  Anything more highly recommended? 
Gear! When do we get gear?!

canon rumors FORUM

Focus Screens and Calibrators
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Focus Screens and Calibrators
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
3rd party focus screens offer more and useful options, such as a split prism with microprism collar, that can facilitate MF.  Canon's is just plain matte. However, some 3rd party screens can affect metering (so does Canon's, but there's a C.Fn to compensate, and that can work for 3rd party screens, too).  Also, some screens prevent the AF points from lighting up.

I use an X-rite i1 for calibration, works well. I don't know that one does better than the others, they're all calibrating to the same standard. Some are faster, but the end result should be the same.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:48:43 AM »
Any input on a nice manual focus capable screen for a 5DII?
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
Is the Brightscreen worth $200 compared to Canon's $30 screen for Zeiss lenses on a 5D Mark Dos?
Gear! When do we get gear?!

alipaulphotography

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
I use an EE-S (I think) for the old 5D. It is a matt screen that is much more useful for manual focus or focus recompose than the original focusing screen. You need to have good eyes though.

I use wide aperture prime lenses where depth of field is very shallow. The only downfall to them is if you want to use a smaller aperture as the view through the view finder becomes very dark. So it helps to have them both just incase you plan on shooting wide apertures and need a bright viewfinder.

I think I still prefer the screen in my manual focus Olympus OM-2 film camera though...

Any idea if they have something similar for a 5D?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
The only downfall to them is if you want to use a smaller aperture as the view through the view finder becomes very dark. So it helps to have them both just incase you plan on shooting wide apertures and need a bright viewfinder.

I think I still prefer the screen in my manual focus Olympus OM-2 film camera though...

Any idea if they have something similar for a 5D?

Just to clarify, you mean the standard screen is better if you want to use a lens with a smaller max aperture, not select a smaller aperture on a fast lens (focusing is always done at max aperture, and the lens stops down as you take the shot).

Not sure about the OM-2 specifically, but most film SLRs used a focusing screen with a split prism and microprism collar. Brightscreen has those, as does Katzeye (for some models). 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »