November 26, 2014, 05:21:48 AM

Author Topic: Make yourself happy  (Read 13204 times)

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: Make yourself happy
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 02:49:12 AM »
... From the manual:

"White Balance:

Settings
Auto, Preset (Daylight; Shade; Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset; Tungsten Light; White Fluorescent Light; Flash), Custom (Approx. 2,000° - 10,000°K), White Balance Correction, and White Balance Bracketing

Which manual? The one I downloaded from Canon on the release of the 100D only shows the icons for Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash and Custom ... no Twilight or Sunset.

... if you know your way round the presets.

Canon has set Daylight to 5200K and Cloudy to 6000K ... I prefer 5600K (based on local conditions), so neither of the presets do the job for me.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 02:49:12 AM »

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
OK, in the manual for the 30D it states that Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset and Flash all have the temperature predefined as 6000K ... the same?
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
On camera flash is 'daylight' flash.

There is some arguement for setting twiligiht and sunset at this as well, the light is changing constantly so it would be impossible to have any useful preset, and the daylight preset is most likely to render the scene as you saw it, even if this isn't techncally accutate, in much the same way as the tungsten preset wouldn't be technically accurate for the light emiited from tungsten bulb with a red filter.

I can't help but think that if 400kelvins are pivotal to you then a) you probably shouldn't be using a rebel, and b) shouldn't be shooting jpeg.

I'm interested in how you know that your colour temperature is different?  Do you have a colour meter?  Or are you going by ACR or similar?

Here's the thing, I can't speak to the SL1, but my 600D (T3i) and M both have WB shift & bracket.  This may be the solution to your particular problem.

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 04:32:35 AM »
Thanks for the interest ... It's not only the Kelvin setting, but the overall effect combined with the Picture Style used (Standard @ +4/+1/+1/0). This may not produce "accurate" pictures, but it produces pictures that I like.

Anyhows, (a) I'm not using an xxxD (Rebel) camera, because I did try them a while back (1000D & 550D) and found the JPEG engine horribly deficient (compared to my 30D and I have a theory on this); and (b) I shoot JPEG because I like taking pictures and dislike post-processing (but if I did photography professionally for money, then I'd do RAW).

I have never been able to figure out that WB-shift grid-thing and no matter what, it just doesn't produce the same results as straight Kelvin WB.

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »
OK, "research" shows that Sunny (5200K) plus A3 shift should roughly equal 5600K. Quick tests show this to be (nearly) so, but since it is raining today (first time in months), I cannot perfectly verify if it is true.

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
I got play around with the SL-1 at Sam's Club, and I was happy with the speed of the focusing in Live Mode with the new STM kit lens.  I'll bet the 40mm pancake is a blast on this camera...  and dinky.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
Forget all the high tech guff for a minute...go out and buy a 100D/SL1 slap on a shorty forty, walk down the city street and shoot, shoot, shoot. Go on you know you want too....it's called fellin gooooood! Don't be shy post them here.

Is this combination good for BIF (birds in flight) or macro or landscape.   Street photographer is a narrow field

Might I suggest you buy a 1Dx, 600mm II, Wimberley head, TV 2x, ... and shoot birds

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
Forget all the high tech guff for a minute...go out and buy a 100D/SL1 slap on a shorty forty, walk down the city street and shoot, shoot, shoot. Go on you know you want too....it's called fellin gooooood! Don't be shy post them here.

Is this combination good for BIF (birds in flight) or macro or landscape.   Street photographer is a narrow field

Might I suggest you buy a 1Dx, 600mm II, Wimberley head, TV 2x, ... and shoot birds

Great point that the OP's version of "happy" is a narrow focus.

Although to be fair, the original idea is a bit more budget friendly than what you suggest. I'd love to take the advice though.

I'll stick with option C for right now, which is trying to get the most out of the gear I've got while saving up for a new rig.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

Great point that the OP's version of "happy" is a narrow focus.

Although to be fair, the original idea is a bit more budget friendly than what you suggest. I'd love to take the advice though.

I'll stick with option C for right now, which is trying to get the most out of the gear I've got while saving up for a new rig.

Agree that there is more than 1 one way to fun.   And if I knew more than nothing about street photography the rig would be great.   It always fun to try new things.   :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »