September 21, 2014, 10:45:07 AM

Author Topic: How will Canon respond to Magic Lantern's raw video hack?  (Read 7220 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
How will Canon respond to Magic Lantern's raw video hack?
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
Or do Canon just ignore it?

But for some reason, I can't see how they can... once professionals see the difference in the output, they're going to be going back to Canon for a "tell me why I can't do this with what you sell me for $12,000", Canon is going to need to come up with an answer.

canon rumors FORUM

How will Canon respond to Magic Lantern's raw video hack?
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »

Hobby Shooter

Re: How will Canon respond to Magic Lantern's raw video hack?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Do you really think so? Canon has an organisation locking up great customer features available in their cameras providing extra value and functionality without having to accept responsibility for it to work. That is an ideal situation for Canon. Large companies are always happy for that, if they wanted they could lock it, but they don't, it's part of their ecosystem and they don't have to guarantee any functionality. It makes all the geeks happy that they can 'beat the system' and it makes Canon happy that they will have the geeks saying good things about them.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
... Canon is going to need to come up with an answer.

I'm still waiting after several years (and numerous emails) for Canon to answer why they include that incomprehensible BA/MG grid on "entry-level" cameras, but not Kelvin WB.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »
simples.

canon will sell a ton more 5Dmk3 bodies and a couple of tons more L glass to video people or all these new IS prime lenses
same thing that happened when the 5Dmk2 hit the scene
Sold like hot cakes
APS-H Fanboy

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
simples.

canon will sell a ton more 5Dmk3 bodies and a couple of tons more L glass to video people or all these new IS prime lenses
same thing that happened when the 5Dmk2 hit the scene
Sold like hot cakes

I agree.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »
Canon don't need an answer as it's a hack. They will simply state that the 5D III was not designed to be used in that way, wether it can or not. It's like modifiying a car engine to go faster. The car manufacturer doesn't have to answer to those mods so why does Canon? I bet you could make a 5D III do all sorts of things if you really tried!

I do wonder about their higher end video cameras though. Though doesn't this hack only let you record for a short period of time? Most working pros wouldn't really care for that would they? I hardly see the BBC (or whoever uses that expensive stuff) going out to buy a bunch of 5D IIIs for their film crew and then hacking them with ML.

Someone also mentioned ergonomics in a similar post. Plenty of reasons Canon won't be bothered much by this. They'll sell more 5D 3 and maybe one or two less C100s.  End of the day they'll still be making bank and laugh about their profits!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:08:44 PM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »
I can see it now.... a bunch of Canon executives gathered around a table discussing magic lantern... "So this product that someone else is developing and taking all the risk over.... is increasing our sales". Canon will do nothing.... why go through a lot of trouble to cost sales?
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
There is a very large, very real Canon consumer base which still believes ML to be a suspicious hack (of course not including CR members). Unless ML is used by a significant majority of Canon users, I doubt Canon will worry - in such case I see Canon buying out ML and stopping the hacks (via non-compete agreements) in due course.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Canon don't need an answer as it's a hack. They will simply state that the 5D III was not designed to be used in that way, wether it can or not. It's like modifiying a car engine to go faster. The car manufacturer doesn't have to answer to those mods so why does Canon? I bet you could make a 5D III do all sorts of things if you really tried!

I do wonder about their higher end video cameras though. Though doesn't this hack only let you record for a short period of time? Most working pros wouldn't really care for that would they? I hardly see the BBC (or whoever uses that expensive stuff) going out to buy a bunch of 5D IIIs for their film crew and then hacking them with ML.

Someone also mentioned ergonomics in a similar post. Plenty of reasons Canon won't be bothered much by this. They'll sell more 5D 3 and maybe one or two less C100s.  End of the day they'll still be making bank and laugh about their profits!

+1, well put.  I think plenty of people will ignore this hack and carry on with cameras that are designed for video, even if the Mark III produces better images it doesn't mean the others produce bad images.  Everyone I know is in love with the C300, and it's ergonomics/video features make it much more appealing to documentary/run and gun people.  I think major productions will ignore it for the most part, I mean the GH2 shot incredible looking video but you only really see lower-budget productions using it.

The hack is still in it's infancy, just a couple weeks ago they were saying they weren't sure they'd be able to get it to record continuously, that changed quick.  This isn't even an alpha build, it's just experimental, but I think once they get this to work with an external recorder it could be really awesome.

As for the 5D3 ergonomics, people have spent lots of money making rigs and making DSLR's feel like video cameras, there are plenty of solutions out there for that. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
They won't.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
Or do Canon just ignore it?

But for some reason, I can't see how they can... once professionals see the difference in the output, they're going to be going back to Canon for a "tell me why I can't do this with what you sell me for $12,000", Canon is going to need to come up with an answer.

I don't know, that's a good question.  It would be really awesome if they embraced it and worked with ML to stabilize it and make it work flawlessly, but I don't see that happening.  I do understand why the feature wasn't included in the first place, the 5D3 is a stills camera that happens to shoot good video, but it's a still camera first (and a damn good one at that), video second. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »

+1.  Canon may state use of ML firmware voids the warrant

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:49:46 AM »
Eventually RAW will become a standard option. It's just a matter of when.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:49:46 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 05:53:30 AM »
Canon has an organisation locking up great customer features available in their cameras providing extra value and functionality without having to accept responsibility for it to work. That is an ideal situation for Canon. Large companies are always happy for that, if they wanted they could lock it, but they don't, it's part of their ecosystem and they don't have to guarantee any functionality. It makes all the geeks happy that they can 'beat the system' and it makes Canon happy that they will have the geeks saying good things about them.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

M.ST

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »
I try to get an answer. But the answer is, that I donĀ“t get an answer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »