September 23, 2014, 12:43:05 AM

Author Topic: Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.  (Read 6303 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »
The last time I went to the beach, I had a Sony point and shoot ($200) and I had no fear.  I was taking pictures while the water was up to my knees with my daughter splashing around. 

And now that I have a 60D which might be a 5d mkiii by the time we are beach bound, a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS mkii, a 24-105mm, and a bunch of other lenses.  And one grain of sand is all it takes to screw things up. 

So... what do yall suggest?  I will absolutely avoid changes the lenses outside... and I will absolutely not leave my gear on the sand or even on a blanket that might have sand on it... but is it worth the risk to even take it out of the hotel?  Should I rent a body/lens and let the guys at Borrow lenses remove the sand from the motor? 

I was thinking of stupid ideas like wrapping saran wrap around the lens and body and then just treating the lens like it was a prime... but that doesn't really seem reasonable. 

I should have agreed to go to Disney again. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
I understand your apprehension, but the way I try to look at it is: what's the point in having that gear with you if your fear will inhibit your creativity?

Either get your gear insured for all risks (which you should anyway) and forget about it, or just take the $200 point and shoot. You'll probably end up with better photos.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much.  Just use common sense for the most part and you should be fine.  When I went to the Caribbean last year, I had my 5Dm3, 24-70 (mk1), 70-200, 100mm, and a few other lenses.

The vast majority of my pictures were taken on the beach, including some where my camera was almost sitting on the sand trying to get angle shots.  I would never change lenses on the beach -- I'd head back up towards the beach hotel we stayed at if I wanted to swap.  I'd only set my camera down on my camera bag while I was on the beach, but even that was only a few times.  And I never took my camera (and myself) into the water -- though I wouldn't worry about going waist deep if the waves weren't too much.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to watch the humidity.  Our hotel room was air conditioned (thank god), and being on an island the humidity was usually close to 90%.  With the temperature and humidity differential between our hotel room and the exterior, my camera and lenses would immediately fog up and be unusable for ~10 minutes once I walked outside, which would make it real difficult to run out and grab a shot if I saw something interesting.

So I would bring several large ziplock bags, put your gear in them before you plan on heading out, and let them sit outside (we had a secure porch area) so that your gear can get acclimated to the temperature.  The bags will prevent some fogging, but will it will take longer for your gear to become acclimated.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
+1 on the insurance.  When I go to the beach, my gear does, too - else, what's the point in having it?  I don't generally wade into the water with it - I'd get a waterproof housing for my S100 for that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I understand your apprehension, but the way I try to look at it is: what's the point in having that gear with you if your fear will inhibit your creativity?

Either get your gear insured for all risks (which you should anyway) and forget about it, or just take the $200 point and shoot. You'll probably end up with better photos.

I do have my gear insured... but for catastrophic damage and theft.  One lone grain of sand is on me to send it back to get it cleaned out.  I'm taking my gear... but I wish I had a better plan for keeping sand away.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
FWIW, we obtained our gear to use it.  Common sense should prevail, however. 

For a beach vacation, I'll take my kit if I am walking or sitting but if I know I am going in the water (even up to my knees), the gear stays securely locked up and I take my old D10 P&S.  In good light, the pics out of that are OK and the camera can go underwater to 14 feet without worry.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
I live in southern California and bring my camera and lenses, including non weathersealed ones, to the beach all the time and have never had any problems. 

And yes, I do change lenses all the time at the beach, just get into a habit of pointing the lens/camera down and away from the water when changing lenses as the mist/spray from the ocean does tend to get all over your stuff.  To the same point, my front elements tend to be pretty covered in mist by the end of the day so make sure you have something to clean with.

I would also suggest you bring along a rocket blower or similar. Getting sand on your gear is pretty much unavoidable. I would take extra care that there isn't any sand around the mount when you go to change lenses. And NEVER wipe down any lens surfaces, even with liquid cleaners, unless youre sure that you have blown off all sand particles, youll essentially be sanding your lens.

As for being in the water while holding your camera, it really just depends on how comfortable you are with not dropping your gear and how high the tide coming in is.  I have had my 6D and 17-40 on a tripod about a foot above the incoming tide level shooting a slow shutter of the water coming in. Camera came out unscathed but tripod wasn't as lucky, had to that it apart and clean every single piece.

Along with all that...ENJOY YOUR VACATION! Don't worry too much about your gear as everyone else said.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:50:26 PM by BruinBear »
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
I live in southern California and bring my camera and lenses, including non weathersealed ones, to the beach all the time and have never had any problems. 

And yes, I do change lenses all the time at the beach, just get into a habit of pointing the lens/camera down and away from the water when changing lenses as the mist/spray from the ocean does tend to get all over your stuff.  To the same point, my front elements tend to be pretty covered in mist by the end of the day so make sure you have something to clean with.

I would also suggest you bring along a rocket blower or similar. Getting sand on your gear is pretty much unavoidable. I would take extra care that there isn't any sand around the mount when you go to change lenses. And NEVER wipe down any lens surfaces, even with liquid cleaners, unless youre sure that you have blown off all sand particles, youll essentially be sanding your lens.

As for being in the water while holding your camera, it really just depends on how comfortable you are with not dropping your gear and how high the tide coming in is.  I have had my 6D and 17-40 on a tripod about a foot above the incoming tide level shooting a slow shutter of the water coming in. Camera came out unscathed but tripod wasn't as lucky, had to that it apart and clean every single piece.

Along with all that...ENJOY YOUR VACATION! Don't worry too much about your gear as everyone else said.

+1    I live in S Florida and frequently bring my gear to the beach, though I do try to use only weather-sealed lenses. I have to go at least once a year for the annual Air & Sea Show which coincides with Fleet Week. Though, sadly, it was greatly reduced to civilian planes & boats this year due to sequestration :(

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
id suggest selling all your gear and getting a camera that youd be happy taking out with you to take pictures, imagine if you went on a trip to the desert , what would you do then!

where is the fun in photography if you cant even take your camera to a beach! absolutely crazy

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
id suggest selling all your gear and getting a camera that youd be happy taking out with you to take pictures, imagine if you went on a trip to the desert , what would you do then!

where is the fun in photography if you cant even take your camera to a beach! absolutely crazy

thanks for the help, I put up the craigslist ad just now. 

fresh_melbourne

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography in Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
ahhh ... same problem here ... I am shooting two weddings in Europe and on the way back to Australia I am going to have a 1 week stopover in Vietnam. Great! Love the great photo opportunities but I am afraid I will not have a relaxing day on the beach watching my equipment all the time. Unfortunately I have no solution yet - I thought about leaving 50% of the equipment in the hotel safe - 25% in the room - and carry 25% around.

I have no insurance for my gear as it is really expensive to get one (at least here in Australia) - I am pretty much only worried about theft as this is something you can't control and all your gear is gone. So definitely thinking about one. How much do you pay for your insurance (please also mention the insured total and excess). I would love an insurance just for the trip ...

My sites: www.freshphotography.com.au  www.fabulous-femme.com
My gear: love my 5DIII with lots of lenses ... my favourites: 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:24:10 PM by fresh_melbourne »
My gear: 2x 5DIII, 7D, GoPro Black, Leica R4, 24L 1.4 II, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 II, 100L 2.8IS Macro, 24-105L 4.0 IS, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 3x 600EX-RT, Induro Tripods ...
Web: http://www.freshphotography.com.au - http://wedding.freshphotography.com.au   - http://www.fabulous-femme.com

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
I recently too my EOS 550D to the beach in Thailand. I always had it with my Sigma 18-125 in a bag, together with my Sigma 400mm lens. I only changed the lens when I was sitting on a beach chair or very sure that there was no sand in the air. Was no problem at all.
And don't forget, sand grains are normaly fairly large and don't get into the really small opening in the lens. Simply be carefull while changing it, but that's more or less.
Ah and don't drop it into the sand, or at least have a air-duster (or however it's called in english) ready to clean it :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Just bring something like this if you really don't have the budget to get an underwater case.  It's good for playing in knee deep water.  Also make sure that somebody is holding your items every time.  For me, it's me and my wife holding the bags with lenses always.

http://shashinki.com/shop/dicapac-korea-m-54.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
ahhh ... same problem here ... I am shooting two weddings in Europe and on the way back to Australia I am going to have a 1 week stopover in Vietnam. Great! Love the great photo opportunities but I am afraid I will not have a relaxing day on the beach watching my equipment all the time. Unfortunately I have no solution yet - I thought about leaving 50% of the equipment in the hotel safe - 25% in the room - and carry 25% around.

I have no insurance for my gear as it is really expensive to get one (at least here in Australia) - I am pretty much only worried about theft as this is something you can't control and all your gear is gone. So definitely thinking about one. How much do you pay for your insurance (please also mention the insured total and excess). I would love an insurance just for thIe trip ...

My sites: www.freshphotography.com.au  www.fabulous-femme.com

I pay 46 dollars per year for about  five thousand in Gear.   usually jewellery is protected by this type of policy. 
My gear: love my 5DIII with lots of lenses ... my favourites: 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:49 PM »
I would just take the 60D and the 24-105, maybe if you have a wider alternative as a second one also. That should cover the most. I live in a very dirty and dusty country and often go to the beach. I always have a cotton scarf for myself and that I also use to wipe off the camera over the course of the day, sometimes I use it to cover the camera also.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:03:49 PM »