December 17, 2014, 02:58:53 PM

Author Topic: Which lens for my new 6D (my first DSLR)?  (Read 6787 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: Which lens for my new 6D (my first DSLR)?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
EDIT: i fotgot to mention, i will be doing lot of landscapes and low light photography

What ranges?  That makes a huge differnece - a 50mm is nice but tight.  Gotta agree with the rest of those replying - the kit 24-105 may be your best option.  It isn't the best lens out there, but it is versatile and the 6d is a beast in low light so being limited to f4 shouldn't hurt too bad (plus, if this is your first DSLR, going with a fast prime may be difficult - the DOF at 1.4 will be hard to manage.)
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
He's doing landscapes. 7d with 24-105 might be too tight unless he wants to try panorama.

That's correct, that's why I bought what I've got now - 60d + the very reasonably priced 17-40L is ok for landscapes, and it's a full frame upgrade path unlike an ef-s lens.

the 6d is a beast in low light so being limited to f4 shouldn't hurt too bad

... except if you're shooting high dynamic range scenes, because less iso noise on the 6d cannot repair the fact that dr takes a hit also on the 6d, though not as bad as the crop sensor: http://www.sensorgen.info/CanonEOS_6D.html

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
He's doing landscapes. 7d with 24-105 might be too tight unless he wants to try panorama.

That's correct, that's why I bought what I've got now - 60d + the very reasonably priced 17-40L is ok for landscapes, and it's a full frame upgrade path unlike an ef-s lens.

... except if you're shooting high dynamic range scenes, because less iso noise on the 6d cannot repair the fact that dr takes a hit also on the 6d, though not as bad as the crop sensor: http://www.sensorgen.info/CanonEOS_6D.html

DR is gonna be an issue either way, and if the DR in the scene is too much then bracketing the shot will have to happen (or get some grad ND filters...)

Note that in my original reply, not making a judgement based on the OP buying his first DSLR.

As for first DSLR and lenses --- FF vs crop.  each do have their place.   Landscape vs lowlight -- again each area is different - and what kind of low light are you talkig ---low light portraits...low light landscapes, low light waterscapes?  For low light, a good tripod may be a better investment, unless your shooting people...then even with a good low light body you may still want a flash for fill...

SLR's give you options --- but for limited budget first time investment ---it is almost too many options (due to cost, because each option is pricey!!!!!)

That's why I stick to saying ---if you go FF - get the 24-105.  then over the course of the year, check you shots and see what you shoot at the most...if your staying in the 24-35 range and wanting wider - then your in UWA territory.  But if you find that your at 105 a lot and cropping, then you may want a 70-200...  or, if you find all your shots at 50mm and want more control over DOF and OOF areas, snag a 50mm.  This is all stuff you have to find out on your own though, only way to know is have it and shoot.  Which is again why I say grab the kit lens ---it may not be the best at everything but it is a great jack of all trades lens (also ---it is L series and L quality so if you do choose to sell it in favor or something more specialized it will retain its value pretty good unless you smash it or something.)
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Oneand0

• Power Shot G7X
  • Travel and photograph safe!
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
Fluid,
This is my first post reply, saw your post and had to respond. I just bought the 6D and 24-105mm kit. I am a landscape photographer hobbyist. I could have bought a full frame canon last year, but forced myself to keep shooting with my 7D and maximize my learning process with what I had. It's not the gear that will produce photos you like, it will be you getting out there and getting to the landscape locations at the right time and trial and error. With that being said, the 17-40 f/4 is my main work horse, get it and you won't be disappointed. You should buy the kit to save money and use it (24-105), then buy the 17-40. I do not blend my photos, I never have, keep in mind when you look at my links below. I do use filters to even out the dynamic range, and software (single photo) to bring back the range to what it was as close as possible. I use GND (soft) Lee Filters on my 17-40mm, and a Lee Big Stopper filter to smooth out choppy water, or get a sense of motion with clouds. Get your 6D and eventually 17-40 and you will never regret it.

6D photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8743790103/#in/photostream/lightbox/
               http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8747014060/#in/photostream/lightbox/

7D photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8522315080/#in/photostream
               http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/7640580806/#in/photostream

All photos 17-40mm used.

Have fun and travel safe with your 6D

Oneand0
6D, Zeiss 21mm, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, and Samyang 14mm 2.8, Samyang 85mm 1.4., 40mm 2.8, Gitzo 3541LS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/

fluidmania

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »

DR is gonna be an issue either way, and if the DR in the scene is too much then bracketing the shot will have to happen (or get some grad ND filters...)

Note that in my original reply, not making a judgement based on the OP buying his first DSLR.

As for first DSLR and lenses --- FF vs crop.  each do have their place.   Landscape vs lowlight -- again each area is different - and what kind of low light are you talkig ---low light portraits...low light landscapes, low light waterscapes?  For low light, a good tripod may be a better investment, unless your shooting people...then even with a good low light body you may still want a flash for fill...

SLR's give you options --- but for limited budget first time investment ---it is almost too many options (due to cost, because each option is pricey!!!!!)

That's why I stick to saying ---if you go FF - get the 24-105.  then over the course of the year, check you shots and see what you shoot at the most...if your staying in the 24-35 range and wanting wider - then your in UWA territory.  But if you find that your at 105 a lot and cropping, then you may want a 70-200...  or, if you find all your shots at 50mm and want more control over DOF and OOF areas, snag a 50mm.  This is all stuff you have to find out on your own though, only way to know is have it and shoot.  Which is again why I say grab the kit lens ---it may not be the best at everything but it is a great jack of all trades lens (also ---it is L series and L quality so if you do choose to sell it in favor or something more specialized it will retain its value pretty good unless you smash it or something.)

I will be doing lot of low light potraits and landscapes.
Thanks Chuck for this great advice  :D

fluidmania

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Fluid,
This is my first post reply, saw your post and had to respond. I just bought the 6D and 24-105mm kit. I am a landscape photographer hobbyist. I could have bought a full frame canon last year, but forced myself to keep shooting with my 7D and maximize my learning process with what I had. It's not the gear that will produce photos you like, it will be you getting out there and getting to the landscape locations at the right time and trial and error. With that being said, the 17-40 f/4 is my main work horse, get it and you won't be disappointed. You should buy the kit to save money and use it (24-105), then buy the 17-40. I do not blend my photos, I never have, keep in mind when you look at my links below. I do use filters to even out the dynamic range, and software (single photo) to bring back the range to what it was as close as possible. I use GND (soft) Lee Filters on my 17-40mm, and a Lee Big Stopper filter to smooth out choppy water, or get a sense of motion with clouds. Get your 6D and eventually 17-40 and you will never regret it.

6D photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8743790103/#in/photostream/lightbox/
               http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8747014060/#in/photostream/lightbox/

7D photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/8522315080/#in/photostream
               http://www.flickr.com/photos/1and0hound/7640580806/#in/photostream

All photos 17-40mm used.

Have fun and travel safe with your 6D

Oneand0

Nice shots mate.
Great that you posted a reply, will surely help me with my decision.
Cheers  :)

timmy_650

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
I would say get the 6D over the 5D hands down. To me the upgrades are worth the few extra $100s. But for what your asking I would look into Nikon D600. Before they were going a great deal with a lens but that was around Christmas time and I don't watch Nikon prices bc I shoot canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »
if you want a blazing good cheap lens get the 40mm f2.8 pancake
this lens is sharp across the frame and is an excellent general purpose lens
I prefer it to the 50 f1.4 which needs to be stopped down to about f2.2 anyway

or as someone else suggested the sigma 35 f1.4 is hands down one of the best lenses around IMO
APS-H Fanboy

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
I'd go for the 50mm f/2.5 Macro and then the 28mm f/1.8 lenses.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
That's why I stick to saying ---if you go FF - get the 24-105.  then over the course of the year, check you shots and see what you shoot at the most...if your staying in the 24-35 range and wanting wider - then your in UWA territory.  But if you find that your at 105 a lot and cropping, then you may want a 70-200...  or, if you find all your shots at 50mm and want more control over DOF and OOF areas, snag a 50mm.

This is some of the wisest advice you will get.  No one can really tell you "you need to get this lens" unless they know not only what you shoot but how and what effect you want.  A lens that works for one photographer may not work for you.  Only you, the photographer, can make that determination.  Using a zoom lens like Chuck described is an excellent way to help you fine tune your lens collection. 

Start your lens collection exactly like what you are doing now -- thinking about it and planning it. 

With the priority on buying good glass (cheap glass is seldom a good investment) you want to make your lens-money efficiant in not only buying good glass but the right glass -- good glass is easy, finding the right glass takes time.  I have spent a lot of money on many cheap glass in my time.  :(  regretting all the time.   

Good luck with this.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »