August 30, 2014, 12:34:59 PM

Author Topic: Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!  (Read 9310 times)

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Flickr just got changed.. One, it looks awesome now. Two, everyone now has 1 Terabyte of space!!!!!

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/05/20/breaking-news-flickr-just-gave-everyone-one-free-terabyte-of-space-looks-different-now-too/?fb_source=pubv1

canon rumors FORUM

Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Horror has a face -- new Flickr
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »
I don't like it:

http://blog.flickr.net/2013/05/20/a-better-brighter-flickr/

Other folks might like it.

For me, all I can think of is Apocalypse Now.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »
Three, Pro users appear to be getting screwed.  But I'm not bitter...   :-X

As a current Flickr Pro user, this sums up my feelings:

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
I received the e-mail.  There are a lot of unanswered questions about limits and advertising.  My wife has the pro account. 

I'm glad I use Smug Mug.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
1TB = Free
1TB + No Ads = $50/year
2TB = $500/year... ?

I'd be bitter if I were a pro user too.

That's some odd math by the yahoo folk.  Glad I wrote my own photo app.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
Very Interesting, I never liked Flickr's dated interface though.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Horror has a face -- new Flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
Let's try to be objective here.  ANYTHING would be better than flickr's current interface.  If I were to design a photo web application in 1999 with nothing but frontpage extensions I could still have done better than what flickr's been offering since yahoo pillaged bought them.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's better.

Though the 1TB of free storage is nice.  I might have to give it a test drive if the REST/JSON API isn't terrible.

But if I were already a pro user... ouch.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:33:31 PM by pierceography »
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »
Uh oh...so far I like it.
I like the layout and the banner at the top. It is simple and straightforward.
I also think that my photos look much cleaner on the new site. (but that could totally be my imagination...dunno).
Sometimes we react poorly to change,  especially when we have no warning or control over the situation.
Although, I have a free account at this point and according to what I have read, I am going to get slammed with advertising somehow...but I have not seen that on my page....YET?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:07:33 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »
From what I have been reading elsewhere on the Internet is that it looks like us previous Pro users will get grand-fathered into Yahoo/Flickr's new system, meaning that we can continue to use our current Pro accounts and upload well pasted 1 TB of photos (if that's possible), as well as continue to renew our annual subscription for as long as we want. We can also just give up the Pro account entirely and go to Flickr's new model and live with the ads.

The New Flickr: What it Means for Flickr Pro Users
http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flickr-pro-changes/?cid=BD-Pulse-All-Full&utm_campaign=BD-Pulse-All-Full&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
From what I have been reading elsewhere on the Internet is that it looks like us previous Pro users will get grand-fathered into Yahoo/Flickr's new system, meaning that we can continue to use our current Pro accounts and upload well pasted 1 TB of photos (if that's possible), as well as continue to renew our annual subscription for as long as we want.

Yes, if you are signed up for auto-renew.  But that was made mandatory last year, so some people (such as, for example, me), who bought a 2-year Pro subscription two years ago, aren't 'recurring Pro' users.  My Pro subscription will expire.

According to one staff member post, they're 'working on a plan' to allow non-recurring Pro users convert to recurring Pro accounts, and thus keep the Pro features (stats, ability to replace photos, ad-free).

Yeah, and they 'won't screw up' Tumblr, too....something else I'll believe when I see.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Flickr is now Advr!! For (almost) everyone!!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »
One more rant about 'ad free'.  If you look at the Help page, you'll notice that the Ad Free account, for $50 per year, includes:

• No ads in your browsing experience

However, the Pro account includesd:

• Ad-free browsing and sharing

By having a Pro account, people whom I directed to my pages were not subjected to ads.  That's not going to be the case with the double-the-cost Ad Free account - for your $50/year, you won't see ads, but anyone who follows a link to one of your images will. 

So, IMO this thread should have been titled, "Flickr is now 1 Terabytes Advr!! For (almost) everyone!!"  If their plans for Tumblr are any indication, it won't be long before the ads go from a sidebar to interspersed with your images.  No real surprise - ad revenue is where the money is, Yahoo is a publicly held company, and it's all about the revenue.

Key question (albeit probably deserving of a separate thread) - SmugMug or Zenfolio?

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »
You get a TB of total storage space. But you are maxed out at 300MB of uploads a month for the free account. You'll never reach a TB...

I agree that Flickr needed an overhaul in the looks dept but its very busy now. Not to my liking. But the account tiers and pricing are a bit out of whack. We'll see what kind of changes they make after what is sure to be some major backlash before I make any decision about continuing to use them or not.

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »
One more rant about 'ad free'.  If you look at the Help page, you'll notice that the Ad Free account, for $50 per year, includes:

• No ads in your browsing experience

However, the Pro account includesd:

• Ad-free browsing and sharing

By having a Pro account, people whom I directed to my pages were not subjected to ads.  That's not going to be the case with the double-the-cost Ad Free account - for your $50/year, you won't see ads, but anyone who follows a link to one of your images will. 

So, IMO this thread should have been titled, "Flickr is now 1 Terabytes Advr!! For (almost) everyone!!"  If their plans for Tumblr are any indication, it won't be long before the ads go from a sidebar to interspersed with your images.  No real surprise - ad revenue is where the money is, Yahoo is a publicly held company, and it's all about the revenue.

Key question (albeit probably deserving of a separate thread) - SmugMug or Zenfolio?

Ha ha.. I can see now how it is a downgrade for Pro account holders..  I still like the new look though.
Lets see how Yahoo (not) screw up Tumblr!

You get a TB of total storage space. But you are maxed out at 300MB of uploads a month for the free account. You'll never reach a TB...

I think they have removed monthly 300 MB limit. Its just total 1TB space now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:18:18 AM by DArora »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »
the new UI looks good, not sure yet if it actually is good.
For the non-recurring pro-users, it feels a bit like the Netflix screw-over a while ago. I hope it works out that we can keep the current pro conditions

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »
From what I have been reading elsewhere on the Internet is that it looks like us previous Pro users will get grand-fathered into Yahoo/Flickr's new system, meaning that we can continue to use our current Pro accounts and upload well pasted 1 TB of photos (if that's possible), as well as continue to renew our annual subscription for as long as we want.

Yes, if you are signed up for auto-renew.  But that was made mandatory last year, so some people (such as, for example, me), who bought a 2-year Pro subscription two years ago, aren't 'recurring Pro' users.  My Pro subscription will expire.

According to one staff member post, they're 'working on a plan' to allow non-recurring Pro users convert to recurring Pro accounts, and thus keep the Pro features (stats, ability to replace photos, ad-free).

Yeah, and they 'won't screw up' Tumblr, too....something else I'll believe when I see.

I am not impressed either, but at least it's something for us. Hopefully they do get something arranged for non recurring Pro members.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »