October 31, 2014, 04:11:48 PM

Author Topic: Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!  (Read 10006 times)

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Flickr is now 1 Terabytes!! For everyone!!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »
I like the front page but the idea is almost the same as tumblr's dashboard. I dont get how are they going to differentiate the 2 products

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
Do you really want to make all of your images available to the whole world to see and download, full resolution, and deal with a slow internet connection vs., say, USB3?

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
I've used Pbase for years....no complaints.  Strictly a hobbyist, though.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Flickr is now Advr!! For (almost) everyone!!
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Key question (albeit probably deserving of a separate thread) - SmugMug or Zenfolio?

Flickr if you want people to comment and to join groups, etc. and to be able to host wide gamut display galleries.

In addition, Smug or Zen? I used to love Smug but at this day and age I'd go Zenfolio for beyond 100% sure (and did so).

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
Viewbook.com for myself.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
Hmm what happened to viewing by collections??? It has to be by photostream or sets only now??? What if you made special sports collections and landscape collections and so on? Wide gamut collections? Now way to organize everything? It's just all photos dumped at once or by sets all dumped out at once?? No way to organize?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »
Hmm what happened to viewing by collections??? It has to be by photostream or sets only now??? What if you made special sports collections and landscape collections and so on? Wide gamut collections? Now way to organize everything? It's just all photos dumped at once or by sets all dumped out at once?? No way to organize?

Collections are there...but the UI is the 'old' one with the new header.  Clearly, they haven't bothered to update that feature for the new look. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/collections/

Since Collections were only available for Pro users, and they've pretty much abandoned the Pro users, it would not surprise me if they don't ever get around to updating the feature for the current UI.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Anyone figured out where the "Actions" tab is now on flickr (sure hope it's there there!) where one could choose "View Exif info"?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Anyone figured out where the "Actions" tab is now on flickr (sure hope it's there there!) where one could choose "View Exif info"?

Click the '3-dots' icon at the bottom right. 

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

I can't be bothered to figure out how it all works. Your characterization "just all photos dumped" hits home with me. Looks like somebody had a box of pictures and dumped them on the table. I think the attention-deficit-disorder generation is taking over.

Anyway, I deleted all my pictures, since I had fewer than 100 there anyway. And I chopped all contacts except a few I talk to on a regular basis. (You're still there, Bob!)

I'll still find groups useful for looking at particular cameras and lenses (I hope).
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

vargyropoulos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
not sure if someone posted this already... but take a look at some of the thoughts behind the new flickr....

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/21/rip-professional-photographers/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
I'm actually mostly ok with the new layout/design.  The Photostream now matches the iPhone app, which I am used to and works decently.  I find the Contacts > Recent Photos layout to be the most useful for keeping up with everyone's activity, and I pointed my bookmark to that view.

My beef is with keeping it ad free for myself and my viewers, keeping the stats functionality, ability to replace images, etc. - i.e. the Pro feature set.  I'm going to wait and see how (if) they address grandfathering of non-recurring Pro accounts (mine currently expires in September), and in the meantime, I'll be looking into 500px, SmugMug, and Zenfolio.  Leaning toward 500px ATM.

EDIT: digging more into 500px, I may just port over there regardless of what Yahoo does or does not do with Flickr Pro (besides saying that Pros don't exist anymore, which hints rather strongly at what they won't do for Flickr Pro users).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:27:26 PM by neuroanatomist »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
not sure if someone posted this already... but take a look at some of the thoughts behind the new flickr....

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/21/rip-professional-photographers/

Kind of surprised that 3 pages in here and only one has brought this up....

"there’s no such thing as Flickr Pro, because today, with cameras as pervasive as they are, there is no such thing really as professional photographers, when there’s everything is professional photographers. Certainly there is varying levels of skills, but we didn’t want to have a Flickr Pro anymore, we wanted everyone to have professional quality photos, space, and sharing.” – Marissa Mayer, Yahoo Event, May 2013

I am not a user currently (I have an account, but, never use it).  I think that I will continue to not use it if this is their viewpoint on photography (and unfortunately...this will bleed into the real world...how many more potential brides will look to this quote when thinking why spend $$$ on photography...even the CEO of yahoo thinks theres no such thing as a pro....
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

Olivier11986

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Also thinking of moving over to 500px. Are there any limitation over file size as is the case with flickr (50mb)?
5D3, 60D, 24-70 f/2.8L, 100 f/2.8L, 100-400L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
Looks like Flickr clarified the situation backpedaled on their plans for non-recurring Pro users...

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/22/flickr-backpedals-gives-all-pro-users-the-chance-to-renew-and-keep-their-benefits/

...and the word from the horse's mouth alternate orifice (from which came the statement that pro photogs no longer exist, hey, did I mention that I might still be a little bitter?):

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150487675

Anyone who was a Pro member on 20-May can retain Pro features, if not a recurring member (automatic renewals) they need to switch to a recurring account.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »