August 21, 2014, 06:26:05 PM

Author Topic: Speedboster and AF speed  (Read 1148 times)

stolpe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Speedboster and AF speed
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
Yes I know, maybe wrong forum or thread?

I have a Sony NEX6 as a second camera when I don't bring my 5D III with me, but I still want to be able to use my EF lenses sometimes. I have a EF 24-105 L, a EF 70-200 L II and a small nifty fifty.

Maybe I chose the wrong path here but since the EOS-M wasn't so good it just resulted in this.

Planning to get a Metabones Speedboster so I can use my EF lenses on the Sony NEX6 sometimes, mostly for stills but how does the AF speed compares to the EOS-M with their M-EF adapter?

Or should I wait for the EOS-M II and replace my NEX6?

Thanks in advance, Stolpe

canon rumors FORUM

Speedboster and AF speed
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
Re: Speedboster and AF speed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
Here is a little video review of the adapter, looks promising!

Metabones Speed Booster Hands-On Field Test Small | Large

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
If the next EOS M is a 1.6x crop too, the plain EF to EF-M adapter won't give you the full field of view from you EF glass like your 5D III or an NEX with a metabones speedbooster.

As far as I know, AF speed is painfully slow on the NEX/speedbooster/EF glass combo. As the EOS M is no speed demon in AF terms, I can't imagine an EOS M with a rumoured speedbooster and EF glass being any better.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

stolpe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:24 AM »
One thing that they mentioned about the NEX and most of the other mirror-less cameras is that they have contrast based focus only and the lenses for the DSLR are created for cameras using phase detection. But since I have a NEX6 with Hybrid AF why isn't it seems to be a little bit faster compared to a mirror-less camera with only contrast detection AF. From what I read so far it doesn't seems to be any bigger performance gains there, is this a "hardware" limitation or is it a software limitation?

Can the Speed Booster be updated in the future to improve the AF speed?
Or can a future Speed Boster for EF to EOS-M be a better solution?

I actually hoped (thought) that the EOS-M would be faster and better than a NEX using my current EF lenses, but I don't know right now. I like the NEX6 but I still hope the AF speed can be similar as a consumer level DSLR with my EF lenses in the future.

I don't want to be forced to buy alot of new EOS-M/NEX leses in the future, maybe a few but it would be nice to be able to continue to use the EF lenses as well.

Many questions, hope you guys can help me to answer some of them.

Thanks in advance, Stolpe

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:24 AM »