October 24, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Author Topic: Downgrading my equipment - looking for advice  (Read 5014 times)

Zlatko

Re: Downgrading my equipment - looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
Labeling people as "trolls", and calling people names generally, is one of the worst aspects of online discussion forums.  When the word "troll" is used to disparage people, it usually signals the end of reasoned discussion.  This is a blight on a number of photography forums.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
I shall opt instead then for a diplomatic response...

we could use more context as it is an unusual post.

rightly or wrongly, on this forum people tend to talk about how their 5D3 makes then 1000x better than when they had a 5D2, and that they want to spend lots of money on the latest gear because they took up photography a year ago and really like it, and theres a school play coming up and so why don't canon make a 600mm f2.0? etc etc etc.

AlexB

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Thank you guys for the replys

I feel I should clarify about me falling down the stairs and hitting my head before I go any further. It has really nothing to do with why I am downgrading my equipment, it was my vague attempt to open with a joke on why I am taking this path rather than upgrading my gear. It was an accident not related to photography at all, and it doesn't really belong in this post. I apologize, my sense of humar is rather, special. But I'm fine now, tank you for your concern.

I realise I was unclear in my original post as to why I am doing this. The short answer is cost. I will try to clarify a little further.

I can't justiify to myself owning all this expensive gear when I only use it for what it's worth 1-3 times a year. It is great having one of the best camera bodies and some of the finest glass available at my disposal, but I know I don't really need it for what I am shooting, so I am looking to get by with cheaper equipment.

Size and weight has never been an issue for me, so I am definetly staying with the DSLR platform.

As one of the most significant things I shoot is for a local music festival I was thinking to concentrate my new, cheaper collection, around this. I have sort of already decided on a 1D Mark III, so that part is alright. But I am not sure about which lenses to get. I do want low light capability, so primes are my first thought. I have never really used prmes before except for my 50mm nifty-fifty. I am mainly looking for advice regarding the more affordable Canon primes, not excluding the 135mm f/2L as it is not too expensive to buy used. But the likes of 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 etc are all out of the question due to price.

I know that for concerts I want something wide, and I want something for tighter shots close or equal to 200mm on full frame (135mm f/2L with 1D3?). I am thinking of keeping the 24-105 so I have at least one lens that is weather sealed. But other then that I am pretty clueless on which of the Canon non-L lenses to aim for.

I hope I managed to elaborate a bit better on what my goal is.

Again, thank you for your help.

-AlexB

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
The 28mm 1.8 is not too shabby, and its cheaper + 50mm 1.4/1.8 + 100mm/135L F/2

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Try a 6D, keep the 24-105, add 70-300L.  Simplified, lower weight, less to carry,change,etc

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
Try a 6D, keep the 24-105, add 70-300L.  Simplified, lower weight, less to carry,change,etc

OK, hold my hand up; quirky humour humor often just doesn't come across as intended on the forum.

+1 to the 6D. It's a little gem, especially when not using large lenses. For shooting social events, concerts etc I'd choose one of those over a 1D Mkiii any day. It's light years ahead in low light, assuming you are referring to the APS, not the s version. Trouble is a 6D will be around twice as expensive as a used 1D Mkiii but cheaper than a 1Ds Mkiii.

All the Canon non L primes are pretty good optically. You'll generally get more chromatic aberration, inferior manual focus. Personally I would go for the 200 f2.8L over the 135L. It's much cheaper used and has more useful reach.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:22:10 PM by Sporgon »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
Thank you guys for the replys

I feel I should clarify about me falling down the stairs and hitting my head before I go any further. It has really nothing to do with why I am downgrading my equipment, it was my vague attempt to open with a joke on why I am taking this path rather than upgrading my gear. It was an accident not related to photography at all, and it doesn't really belong in this post. I apologize, my sense of humar is rather, special. But I'm fine now, tank you for your concern.

I realise I was unclear in my original post as to why I am doing this. The short answer is cost. I will try to clarify a little further.

I can't justiify to myself owning all this expensive gear when I only use it for what it's worth 1-3 times a year. It is great having one of the best camera bodies and some of the finest glass available at my disposal, but I know I don't really need it for what I am shooting, so I am looking to get by with cheaper equipment.

Size and weight has never been an issue for me, so I am definetly staying with the DSLR platform.

As one of the most significant things I shoot is for a local music festival I was thinking to concentrate my new, cheaper collection, around this. I have sort of already decided on a 1D Mark III, so that part is alright. But I am not sure about which lenses to get. I do want low light capability, so primes are my first thought. I have never really used prmes before except for my 50mm nifty-fifty. I am mainly looking for advice regarding the more affordable Canon primes, not excluding the 135mm f/2L as it is not too expensive to buy used. But the likes of 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 etc are all out of the question due to price.

I know that for concerts I want something wide, and I want something for tighter shots close or equal to 200mm on full frame (135mm f/2L with 1D3?). I am thinking of keeping the 24-105 so I have at least one lens that is weather sealed. But other then that I am pretty clueless on which of the Canon non-L lenses to aim for.

I hope I managed to elaborate a bit better on what my goal is.

Again, thank you for your help.

-AlexB
Sounds like my prevous advice will suit well
get the sigma 35 f1.4 for your fast wide concert option
in the APS-H the 24 f1.4L mkII would be awesome but also fails the cost test because its spendy
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »