October 21, 2014, 07:17:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D Coming in July? [CR2]  (Read 34258 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 70D Coming in July? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
(and for removing the articulating LCD  :-*).

That'll never happen.
agreed. A lot of people like it and there seem to be no sealing problems with it. I keep hearing people say it can be brokemn off, but you never seem to hear of it hapenning to anyone...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
after the 700D stunt i don´t believe the 70D will have a new sensor.

im not stupid enough to think canon will introduce a new sensor with the 70D.

i think it will have the same 18 MP sensor and next year we will see a new generation
of canon APS-C sensors.

It's sad that Canon is so predictable.

indeed.

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
I have never owned one of the EOS bodies with swivel screen, but I HAVE dropped a Powershot A95 and broken off the screen, so I do know it IS possible to do. And since I treat my gear a bit rough, I prefer metal body and fixed screen.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Has anyone done any testing on the SL1 sensor to give an idea of what might be in store for the 70D? It seems odd that you can buy one at B&H but no one has done an in-depth review.

According to this comparison, SL1 IQ doesn't seem exciting at all, which I expect to be the IQ of 70D. 
If Canon is listening, who cares if iso is expandable to a gazillion, I just want super-clean at iso 3200.  Really.

Canon SL1 / 100D Rebel Hands-On Review | with Canon 7D & Nikon D7100 low light comparison

Here at Canon we are listening to our Customers.  We have created such a camera!  It's called to 5d mark 3 and the 1Dx.  Thanks for choosing Canon!

Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
…….. and the 6D, spoilt for choice!

I really don’t think the 70D will have the new sensor the 7D2 is the logical first show. I’d assume the big MP camera would be the second. Watch out for a new mode dial though…… yummy

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
I'll make my prediction for the 70D.  The 70D will come with a mode dial that goes all the way around, plus some other stuff that is not as important as the mode dial, like better AF, WiFi, GPS, and touchscreen
The best camera is the one in your hands

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »

That'll never happen.
agreed. A lot of people like it and there seem to be no sealing problems with it. I keep hearing people say it can be brokemn off, but you never seem to hear of it hapenning to anyone...

True, but I was alluding to the fact that a camera of this market needs to have a swivel screen if the competition offers.  It's the same with a Sony "amp", it better have 1100 or moar watts.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

I would have liked for the Canon 5DIII to have the articulating screen. Without it, I don't personally have much use for LiveView. (And just because a body has an articulating screen doesn't mean that you have to use it, if you don't like it or are concerned about damaging it ...)
Photographic equipment

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »

I would have liked for the Canon 5DIII to have the articulating screen. Without it, I don't personally have much use for LiveView. (And just because a body has an articulating screen doesn't mean that you have to use it, if you don't like it or are concerned about damaging it ...)

I had the t4i, with the swivel screen, and now the 6D with the wifi and EOS app. I do NOT miss the swivel screen at all. Not at all. The EOS remote app over the wifi is so much better than an articulating screen.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
I'm both excited and disappointed. I've waited a long time for 70D announcement, so that's exciting. However, if mass-production issues for the new sensor are what's holding up the 7DII, then it's likely that the 70D will have the same sensor as the SL1 and T5i, so that's kind of disappointing.

Maybe I'll just be really optimistic and hope that not only does the 70D have the new sensor tech, but that the 7DII will therefore also be announced some time this year. Of course, frustration arises out of unmet expectations. I should probably keep my expectations low...

My bet would be that, had new sensor production gone as planned, the 70D would have the new tech (and have been released quite a while ago), but that since it didn't, and they have to release something, they'll do the best they can with all non-sensor improvements and send it out to market.

I'm expecting:

• Metal body (or mostly metal)
  • Improved weather sealing
  • AFMA
  • Slightly improved AF system
  • 12,800 ISO (expandable to 25,600)
  • A few more creative filters

They might also throw in WiFi and/or GPS, depending on how much they feel they need to compensate for the incremental sensor upgrade.

We'll see...

PS: I really like the swivel screen. First used it on my ever-faithful A80 and currently enjoy it on my G12. Both screens function and articulate as the day they were new (despite some hard use). Knock on wood.  :) I can't imagine not having it, especially since many of the photos I take are from low(er) positions...

I'm expecting

1) a nob that goes ALL the way round
2) a 7 instead of the 6 in the 60d badge
3) 12800 iso will look like a cat vomit after eating a pack of m&ms
APS-H Fanboy

scrup

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »
The 60D continues to sell well. There is no reason for canon to improve the sensor at this stage. They will milk the existing technology for as long as they can.

70D will be as much an upgrade as the 700D is to the 650D with wifi and GPS.

Prepare for disappointment.

steliosk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • stelioskritikakis.com
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »
i really expect a camera that aims in image quality and not some gadget features such as touch screen and wifi but i don't see it coming.

I'm sure though that canon will ignore real photographer's needs completely once more, and won't improve dynamic range, low iso noise, and more megapixels with a brand new APS-C sensor.

So why bother with this 70D, just for creative filters and touch screen? and where does this road lead to? to a new future 80D and 90D with the same 550D 18mp sensor, a facelift and instagram filters under a new firmware that's done yesterday? duhhhh..

When canon decides to to improve their products on true IMAGE QUALITY, i'll start putting my money again on it.. until then no worries folks.
Bodies: 5D3 + 600D
Lenses: STM 40, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 100L, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70 2.8 II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14mm, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 and my old 350D + 18-55 IS II

Independent

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
On 5/16, a canonrumors source said there would be a "surprise" in July, so could the 70D announcement in July bring a surprisingly good camera?  Just hoping.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »
12800 iso will look like a cat vomit after eating a pack of m&ms

THAT made me LOL!!   ;D  I've never heard that as a description of high noise, but it's very apt!

I've used the SL1 (in store) for about 5 minutes the other week and then I also tried the 700D in store too. So I couldn't really determine the noise to any great detail, but both did seem fairly close to my 7D (judging from the screens and zooming in).

Hopefully Canon will introduce a new, improved sensor with the 7DmkII (and even better, if it is included in the 70D). As I'm not planning on getting a 70D, but rather a 7DmkII (or mkIII) if / when my 7D is due for replacement, I do hope Canon achieves advances in their sensor technology over the next few releases, both the 70D and 7Dmkxx. I'm very happy with my 7D, and have used a number of xxD cameras too, and still have my old 350D as a backup.

Regarding swivel screen- if it's 'quite solid' when locked in, I'm all for that, at times (especially with macros or some positions) - having a swivel screen using live view can be helpful (and I don't own a smart phone... yet)... ;)

I am sure the 70D will be a great enthusiast camera, hopefully they will include AFMA with it, and a robust AF system - these are 2 things I think that level of camera deserve.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
I'm both excited and disappointed. I've waited a long time for 70D announcement, so that's exciting. However, if mass-production issues for the new sensor are what's holding up the 7DII, then it's likely that the 70D will have the same sensor as the SL1 and T5i, so that's kind of disappointing.

Maybe I'll just be really optimistic and hope that not only does the 70D have the new sensor tech, but that the 7DII will therefore also be announced some time this year. Of course, frustration arises out of unmet expectations. I should probably keep my expectations low...

My bet would be that, had new sensor production gone as planned, the 70D would have the new tech (and have been released quite a while ago), but that since it didn't, and they have to release something, they'll do the best they can with all non-sensor improvements and send it out to market.

I'm expecting:

• Metal body (or mostly metal)
  • Improved weather sealing
  • AFMA
  • Slightly improved AF system
  • 12,800 ISO (expandable to 25,600)
  • A few more creative filters

They might also throw in WiFi and/or GPS, depending on how much they feel they need to compensate for the incremental sensor upgrade.

We'll see...

PS: I really like the swivel screen. First used it on my ever-faithful A80 and currently enjoy it on my G12. Both screens function and articulate as the day they were new (despite some hard use). Knock on wood.  :) I can't imagine not having it, especially since many of the photos I take are from low(er) positions...

I'm expecting

1) a nob that goes ALL the way round
2) a 7 instead of the 6 in the 60d badge
3) 12800 iso will look like a cat vomit after eating a pack of m&ms

;D ;D ;D         Oh c'mon. WiFi, AFMA and perhaps higher FPS.
                        Creative filters?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »