December 19, 2014, 01:44:06 AM

Author Topic: CF Card Corrupted  (Read 5001 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
CF Card Corrupted
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
Has anyone else had this issue ??

While I was shooting a few days ago I found that when I was part way into transferring Images from my CF Card to my MacPro (Images shot on my 1Dx), the download stopped & a message came up that the remaining files were corrupted. I had downloaded 5 of 338. Tried my MacBook Pro, and the message changed to "unable to download these files", put the Card back into the 1Dx, Camera wouldn't accept the Card but suggested a "re format", tried the card in both my 1dx Bodies & my 5DMK III Bodies, same story, somehow the CF Card had become corrupted.

I did a in Camera reformat of the Card & put it back into the 1Dx, shot off 50 Images & all worked just fine, no issues downloading to the computer.

Friend of mine suggested i should have tried Image retrieval software before re formatting, but it was too late of course, then I searched & found software called "Wondershare data Recovery", tried it, then bought it & it actually pulled off the CR2 Files from the CF Card, after re format, saved 326 of the Original CR2 Files. I imagine there's a lot of this software out there, but I just wasn't aware it could recover files after a Camera Re Format, in fact it recovered almost every file ever taken on that particular CF Card.

I would also note that I currently use Lexar Pro 1000x 128GB CF Cards (I also use 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 100MB/s), may have been an isolated incident but when I purchased 4 of these Lexar 128GB 1000x Cards I had to return one of the Cards immediately as it was corrupted as new, Lexar did replace it with a new one that worked

For the future I've set my Bodies to Copy to two CF Cards (1 Lexar + 1 Sandisc 128GB each) at the same time on the 1Dx & to both the CF Card & SD Card on the 5DMK III (CF 128GB Lexar + 64GB Sandisc), Unless both Cards Die, I'll should always have two Copies in Camera. I had become complacent re the Cards reliability, clearly the CF/SD Cards do have issues from time to time.

Going back over my Images for the past 12 months I do note that there have been a few Corrupted Images on the 1Dx when using the lexar Cards, in the past it's been one or two over a shoot covering perhaps 1,000 Images, so not something I ever really felt concerned about, but it's interesting that it seems only to be the Lexar CF Cards that this occurs on.

Purpose of the Post is simply information, this was the first time I had had this issue and I was glad there was a reasonable resolution short of 100% loss of my files. But i would be interested in anyone else's view on this if they have had any similar occurrences.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

CF Card Corrupted
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: CF Card Corrupted
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »
Recovery software will recover files from a card formatted in the camera because its a "Quick Format" which means that it just pretends the files are gone.

A full format in a computer will erase the card and write zeros.

Card readers can be a problem, if a card is removed or sometimes the reader is bumped while downloading, it can mess things up.

I'm glad you recovered the images.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
Thanks Mt Spokane, I guess that beggars the question, should we reformat with the Computer from time to time ?? To clear the Card ??

I've always reformatted In Camera after every download to the Computer, I've never simply deleted Files. But as you point out, and as I've found out, that never really gets rid of the Old Images.

And you make an excellent point regards the Card Reader, thinking back now I suspect I may have done something during the download that caused the issue, what I'm not sure, but it is possible.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
2 times strange things happened:
August 12 after a longer burst with the 1D4 and a Sandisk extreme 60mb/s it froze, showed err02, before I could do anything, the message disappeared, no loss.
A few days ago: a shorter burst, 5 or 6 frames, it showed err02 again, it changed only after I waited a few seconds, switched the camera off, then on again. The pictures werent on the CF - card, but on the SD- card. The CF was a Transcend 1000x.

I formatted every card I have the first time on the PC too, then in the camera too.
Too few days gone, but no issues. I will see.......
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:49 AM »
Been using 4 x 32GB Lexar 1000x and 2 x 16GB Lexar 1000x.  No problems thus far.  I'll keep an eye out.  Thanks for the heads up.  Recovery software, IMO, is a great app to have in your arsenal...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  At the end of the day, the photos, not any of our photo gear, are the most important and the climax of why we do what we do...photography.

Having said that, I personally never format my cards on any of my computers.  I just format regularly in cam.  Not saying one is better than the other...just my personal workflow and I have yet to run into any issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »
Where did you buy the cards.  I ask because there are a lot of fake cards out there - very profitable to relabel a cheap card as an expensive branded card

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »
I use SanDisk cards, never had an issue.  FYI, all SanDisk cards come with a license code for 1-yr of their RescuePro software (I've got a stack of those codes).

EDIT: despite never having a problem, I have my 1D X set for simultaneous write of RAW images to both CF cards, just in case...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:44:33 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
"Friend of mine suggested i should have tried Image retrieval software before re formatting, but it was too late of course"

It's not too late.  Odds are the old photos have not been overwritten, at least no all of them, unless you have filled the card with new photos or data

And expensive cards are in general better, but not in fallible you, you real should have some recovery software ready to go.  I use data rescue, and file salvage.  Filesalvage is free and works pretty well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »