August 21, 2014, 02:45:02 PM

Author Topic: Where to Buy Online Body and Lenses?  (Read 6296 times)

thowell76

Where to Buy Online Body and Lenses?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
I just checked out the Canon's website and realized that I can find the same prices as other online retailers.  What is your favorite online store and reason why?  I have used Beach Camera several years. 

Has anyone bought from bestpricephoto.com?  I am looking at buying a 7D and Best Price is overing it at $1,339.00 which I find alittle fishy.  I am guessing that it is Grey so I emailed them and asked about warranty and other things.  I have not heard back from them. 

canon rumors FORUM

Where to Buy Online Body and Lenses?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Buy Online Body and Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
I just checked out the Canon's website and realized that I can find the same prices as other online retailers.  What is your favorite online store and reason why?  I have used Beach Camera several years. 

Has anyone bought from bestpricephoto.com?  I am looking at buying a 7D and Best Price is overing it at $1,339.00 which I find alittle fishy.  I am guessing that it is Grey so I emailed them and asked about warranty and other things.  I have not heard back from them.

1) Never buy online if they aren't a canon authorized reseller (I don't know if that place is)
2) If a deal seems too good to be true, do so.

$1500 is current 'best price' online if you're good at waiting, NewEgg sometimes (accidentally?) includes DSLRs in their %-off coupon codes that are intended for point & shoot cameras.  That tends to be towards November (black-friday season).
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

thowell76

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »
Thanks for the input. 

I buy from NewEgg often for much of my computer and electronic needs but never a camera body.  I might end up buying from them since I get free 2 day shipping with them.  I will have to keep a look out for coupon codes. 

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
I usually buy from Adorama. 

I have had very good customer service from them, and have never seen prices elsewhere that were enough lower to risk losing that customer service component.

Yeah, pretty weak for my first post, but gotta start somewhere.   :o

infilm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
I have had great success dealing with B&H Photo. They, like Adorama, have a brick and mortar store in New York. I have bought both new and used items from them and the used stuff is always exactly as described. Samy's Camera is another great retailer and Canoga Camera. Samy's and Canoga Camera have brick and mortar stores. Any online retailer that doesn't have a real store somewhere is always a bit scary to me, if you have a problem it is very easy for an organization to simply not respond to emails. My 10 cents
Canon 7D gripped - 5D2 gripped - 16-35 f2.8l - 24-70 f2.8l - 70-200 f.2.8 IS l - 35 f1.4l - 50 f1.2l - 85 f1.2 l - 135 f2 l - 300 f4 l Tokina 10-17 Fisheye - 580EX II - And not much drive space left on my computer...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
Canon Rumors has a price watch and  to the major online retailers.  They get a small referral fee if you buy thru the link.

Personally, I thiink its a good idea to try one of their retailers.

http://www.canonrumors.com/cameras/canon-rumors-price-watch/

If you do not mind buying a refurbished camera, the canon outlet has many models at a discount, and, if you have a old broken point and shoot or even film slr body, use the Canon customer loyalty program to get a further discount.  I bought my 7D thru CLP for about $1182 and its perfect.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_34263

Vonbon

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Helloooo World...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
Why the online price in US mostly more expensive than other country? The same online price i meant.
5DMk3 |60D |450D-IR |50/1.4 |85/1.8 |35/2 |40/2.8 |100/2.8L IS |24-105/4L |70-200/4L IS |70-200/2.8L IS II |70-300/4-5.6L and few flashes
Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye |180/3.5 Macro
Zeiss 21/2.8 |25/2 |50/2 |100/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
Adorama, B&H, Amazon, J&R... lots of good reputable retailers out there.  Beware of extremely low prices from seemingly professional websites.  These scams pop up all the time.  Frequently, Googling their "official" address will take you to a giant field near West Palm Beach.  I would stick to the trusted few listed on CanonRumors price watch.  Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a complaint in to the police with no hope of ever getting your money back.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »
Why the online price in US mostly more expensive than other country? The same online price i meant.

I usually see people asking why prices are lower in the USA.  Check prices in the UK, Australia, China, etc.  They are higher.

UncleFester

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:55:19 AM »

thowell76

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
Thank you for all the input.  I ended up buying straight from canon.  My only complaint is that they called me to verify the order and when I called the day before to make sure that they had the 7D in stock, I asked if I should buy online or over the phone and was told either way is just as easy.  I wish they would have told me that they would call to verify order.  This delayed the order by one day. 

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:20 AM »
Thank you for all the input.  I ended up buying straight from canon.  My only complaint is that they called me to verify the order and when I called the day before to make sure that they had the 7D in stock, I asked if I should buy online or over the phone and was told either way is just as easy.  I wish they would have told me that they would call to verify order.  This delayed the order by one day.

Yeah, I've had a few vendors 'out' major purchases to my wife by calling the home phone.  "We wanted to verify your lens purchase" is something my wife does not like to hear :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
I almost hate to admit it, but...

Bestbuy. Since the prices are the same from site to site, and since I can get anywhere from 18 months to 3 years free financing, they actually end up being the best value. There replacment plan is more trust worthy than some others.

You can get 5d, 7d, "and lower" cameras. Same is true for lenses. They have the newest 70-200s and 24-70s. The bestbuyforbusiness may sometimes carry the bigger stuff, but without the benefits. For that stuff, I'd go to B&H. I trush them, although I don't necessarily trust their replacment program since it isn't actually them handeling it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »