October 31, 2014, 03:24:11 PM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV & 24-70 II in 2 Weeks?  (Read 20676 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
1Ds Mark IV & 24-70 II in 2 Weeks?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
New Stuff? I received a couple of emails today saying both the 1Ds Mark IV and 24-70 would be arriving in two weeks. This will be before the IFA event in Berlin.

1Ds Mark IV The 1Ds Mark IV briefly appeared on Canon’s official web site. You can check that out at Photography Bay.

Still Quiet I have to admit, all is still pretty quiet on the rumor front. One person has suggested we may get up to 3 different announcement dates in 2011. One for PowerShot, one for a flagship DSLR  and another lens announcement.

There has been absolutely nothing saying a 5D Mark III would be announced in 2011. Still a 2012 Q1 product in a lot of peoples eyes.

Quiet at CR I’ve been away for a few days making sure my marriage remains intact. :)

cr

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:35:17 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

1Ds Mark IV & 24-70 II in 2 Weeks?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »

Bokehmon

Re: 1Ds Mark IV & 24-70 II in 2 Weeks?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
1Ds4 vs D4 should be interesting.... 24-70 II is long overdue.

Bob Howland

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
FWIW, look at the prices of the extended warranties for the 1Ds4 on Photography Bay. They're the same as for the 1D3 and 1D4 and about 75% of the prices for the 1Ds3.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
I think he forgot to mention a rating of [CR0] in the title. ;)

Bokehmon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
FWIW, look at the prices of the extended warranties for the 1Ds4 on Photography Bay. They're the same as for the 1D3 and 1D4 and about 75% of the prices for the 1Ds3.

i'm guessing that older cameras are harder to source parts for?

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
Gear! When do we get gear?!

jeremymerriam

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »

why is a second addition lens long overdue?  I remember there use to be a time when people would buy a lens and never dream on needing an "updated" version.  Don't you think this might just be consumerism and something that really is not needed.  The only reason why I am on the bandwagon on waiting for an "updated" camera is because current dSLRs still lack the quality of film.  They are getting close and on that day it is comparable, I think I will just have to run that camera into the ground.

I guess my point of what I am saying is I have known quite a few successful photographers who just shoot with one lens or just one old shitty camera and still produce great results or have a incredible style.  I guess I am just having a tough time understanding the importance an extra little gidget or gadget will make over the long run  ;o)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »

hambergler

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »

why is a second addition lens long overdue?  I remember there use to be a time when people would buy a lens and never dream on needing an "updated" version.  Don't you think this might just be consumerism and something that really is not needed.  The only reason why I am on the bandwagon on waiting for an "updated" camera is because current dSLRs still lack the quality of film.  They are getting close and on that day it is comparable, I think I will just have to run that camera into the ground.

I guess my point of what I am saying is I have known quite a few successful photographers who just shoot with one lens or just one old S___ty camera and still produce great results or have a incredible style.  I guess I am just having a tough time understanding the importance an extra little gidget or gadget will make over the long run  ;o)

I am hoping for an iteration with IS which would certainly justify an update IMO
5D III | 24-70 II| 50 1.4| 70-200 2.8 IS II| 600 EX-RTx4| EF 2.0X III

Bokehmon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »

I guess my point of what I am saying is I have known quite a few successful photographers who just shoot with one lens or just one old S___ty camera and still produce great results or have a incredible style.  I guess I am just having a tough time understanding the importance an extra little gidget or gadget will make over the long run  ;o)

Not saying that the lens really NEEDED an update, but the fact that competition drives innovation means that a new one is needed for Canon to maintain their #1 mentality.

If the Sony and Nikon didn't release new pro versions of this lens, then this lens wouldn't need to be replaced. But demand and competition but pressure on Canon to stay on top.

Bokehmon

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

I am hoping for an iteration with IS which would certainly justify an update IMO

Can't imagine how large the IS version would be  :o

The lens would certainly have a couple extra elements and a price tag to match :S

JasonM

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »
As I understand it, modern lens design using new materials and CAD ray tracing techniques allows lens designers to achieve much greater resolving power, lower CA, better performance throughout a zoom range, etc. and in most cases the Mark II designs have shown significant improvements.   It's not only about releasing a Mark II for marketing or competitive purposes, the new versions are typically much better and often add IS.

I've read posts from others on this site that Canon has a stated goal of improving lens resolution to resolve at least 40MP to keep up with DSLR resolutions.  The resolution of FF sensors has now already exceeded that of film and the earlier generations of lenses just can not resolve the detail that the latest sensors are capable of.  I know, I'm starting a film vs digital debate!

Bokehmon

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:37 AM »
As I understand it, modern lens design using new materials and CAD ray tracing techniques allows lens designers to achieve much greater resolving power, lower CA, better performance throughout a zoom range, etc. and in most cases the Mark II designs have shown significant improvements.   It's not only about releasing a Mark II for marketing or competitive purposes, the new versions are typically much better and often add IS.

I've read posts from others on this site that Canon has a stated goal of improving lens resolution to resolve at least 40MP to keep up with DSLR resolutions.  The resolution of FF sensors has now already exceeded that of film and the earlier generations of lenses just can not resolve the detail that the latest sensors are capable of.  I know, I'm starting a film vs digital debate!

Mark IIs are definitely worth it! Picked up a 70-200 II 3 months ago and never looked back!

KWSW

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
hmmm... so no 1D5? but definitely interested to see how the 24-70 mkII performs

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:58 AM »
Quote: "why is a second edition lens long overdue?  I remember there use to be a time when people would buy a lens and never dream on needing an "updated" version." 

The reason there are a lot of photographers waiting impatiently for a new 24-70 f/2.8 is that an alarmingly high percentage of users have found this lens to be a dog. I wouldn't be the only one to go through a number of copies in the hope of scoring one of the "sweet" copies which I'm told do actually exist. Plenty of photographers I know have the 24-70 f/2.8 but use it only as a lens of last resort. People tolerate them more than love them. If you've got a good one keep it!

I gave up after my third clunker and got a nice sharp 24-105 f/4is which is adequate for a lot of jobs but  has it's own particular set of shortcomings which have been adequately discussed elsewhere. It may flare, distort, vignette, lack a little contrast and be an f/4 but at least it's sharp! Most of the flaws are dealt with automatically in Lightroom.

When the new lens is officially announced I'll join the long line of photographers who'll drop the Visa card on one at the earliest opportunity.

Paul Wright               

macfly

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
Let it be true, finally!

My current 24-70 is very soft at the edges below f11, and in general a really crappy lens, I just keep it because it is such a convenient range, but if it was perfect i'd use it for 80% of everything I do. However I don't see the use of IS on a short lens, just hold your camera steady!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »