canon rumors FORUM

!
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III inability to use AV mode with any flash
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
What did Nissin say when you contacted their support?  Or maybe you think it's Canon's responsibility to ensure that every single 3rd party accessory works with each of their new products?  I can assure you that the Canon MR-14EX and MT-24EX macro flashes work just fine with a macro lens on a 5DIII...  Obviously you can select an aperture with a Canon 430 or 580 flash attached - I expect user error (hopefully the Nissin unit didn't mess something up - with some lenses on a 5DIII, some Kenko TCs lock up the camera such that a remove-battery reset is needed).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
My 5D MK III works fine with my 580 EX II flash in AV mode.

Remember, the camera switches to fill mode when you mount a flash and set it to AV, so exposure times will look pretty weird if you don't use it right.
For Macro, use manual if you want to control things.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
Remember, the camera switches to fill mode when you mount a flash and set it to AV, so exposure times will look pretty weird if you don't use it right.

Freudian slip on my part - you wrote use manual, and I read use THE manual (aka RTFM). 

I just re-read the OP's post more carefully (can I blame 3 hrs of intereupted sleep prior to getting up at 4a for a day trip from Boston to New Jersey? Home now...).  You're obviously correct, as was my embedded statement about user error.  In Av mode with the flash sync in Av mode setting on Auto (which is the default), the camera will expose for ambient background and then light the subject with the E-TTL flash.

So it's a wetware problem, I think... 

EDIT: re-reading my re-read, maybe I wasn't as tired as I thought - the first line says 'no aperture selection' implying that turning the main dial does not change the aperture setting. If that's the case, there is something wrong.  But it is more likely the OP's description of the problem isn't fully accurate, and that aperture is changing but so is shutter speed for a correct ambient exposure.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:51:37 PM by neuroanatomist »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
No Aperture Selection When Using a Flash in AV on the Mark III, NOT GOOD!
I'd say it's a Nissin thing or user error...I've used 5D3 with AV and 580exII multiple times per week since the 5D3 first shipped. No problems over here...

-PW

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »

Freudian slip on my part - you wrote use manual, and I read use THE manual (aka RTFM). 

I just re-read the OP's post more carefully (can I blame 3 hrs of intereupted sleep prior to getting up at 4a for a day trip from Boston to New Jersey? Home now...).  You're obviously correct, as was my embedded statement about user error.  In Av mode with the flash sync in Av mode setting on Auto (which is the default), the camera will expose for ambient background and then light the subject with the E-TTL flash.

So it's a wetware problem, I think... 

EDIT: re-reading my re-read, maybe I wasn't as tired as I thought - the first line says 'no aperture selection' implying that turning the main dial does not change the aperture setting. If that's the case, there is something wrong.  But it is more likely the OP's description of the problem isn't fully accurate, and that aperture is changing but so is shutter speed for a correct ambient exposure.

I was wondering if it was peculiar to his 180mmL.  I don't have one, so I tried it on my 100mmL as well as my 70-200mmL.  I avoid using flash in AV merely because I tend to get really poor exposures if I'm not paying careful attention.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »
It's good to hear the first thing is user error. Wow!

Nissin is not at fault, Canon is and they admitted to it. Maybe you don't understand how to shoot flash controlling DOF. I do and have.

If it is user error, then tell me why the T3i responds correctly? or is the T3i broken and the Mark III working correctly.

If I want the ambient light to play correctly with the flash then I can use Manual or adjust the flash over and under exposure in-camera settings. Or, I can place the flash in manual or I can decrease or increase the EV settings on the flash.

Definitely NOT user error. Be careful how quickly you jump people and look into yourselves. After all, there are four fingers (3 fingers and a thumb) point back at you!

Have fun, I am out!

As usual, this entire thread was worthless.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:44 PM »
Most Cameras (even the T3i) allow you to set a shutter speed range when using flash - did you check the settings in the custom functions? Sounds like there is no limit set on your 5D3
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:05:45 PM by ahab1372 »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
i do not have my camera here with me to test, but here is another test i would want to know... put on your flash with av mode, point your lens to sun or REALLY REALLY bright light.  let me know what shutter speed you have?  i would guess, it will be at sync speed with flashing which indicates that you are over expose...

however, i do not use av mode with flash... not sure why you are needing av mode to control dof...

note:  in your post, you have said that 1dx has the same problem.  i am not pretty sure about this but i know that there is one prof. wedding photographer using his 1dx and flash in av mode without any problem, that person is sal cincotta...  in short, shooting for 40 years and using av mode with flash to control dof... i feel really sorry...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:18:11 PM by ishdakuteb »

TW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:56 PM »
Most Cameras (even the T3i) allow you to set a shutter speed range when using flash - did you check the settings in the custom functions? Sounds like there is no limit set on your 5D3

This is his problem. Needs to change the custom setting in the camera menu to prevent shutter speeds below 1/60 in aperture priority mode. RTFM.
35+ years of Canon gear...good grief! Still have 2 FTb cameras in working order, too!

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
...If I want the ambient light to play correctly with the flash then I can use Manual or adjust the flash over and under exposure in-camera settings...

by seeing above statement, i can tell that you do not know how to use on camera flash/direct flash properly... suggest to go back and learn flash.  and yes, this message is from a dslr newbie, not from a 40 years canon shooter...

eninja

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:25 AM »
. first: I don't understand the first post. Title says, No aperture selection. But the problem is as stated, shutter speed is way to slow.

. second: In Av mode, camera sets shutter speed to 0.5s. Of course, this is how Av mode right? depend on the ISO set, and aperture set, shutter speed is automatically set base from desired exposure.

. third: of course it will see the flash, because shutter speed is slower than sync speed which is around 1/200.

What did I miss?

M.ST

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »
I used the 5D Mark III a few month from end 2011 to mid 2012. There is no error in Av mode with flashes.

But I highly recommend to setup the flashes manually to get the best results. If you want the best results with your camera use the manual mode. With flashes it´s the same.

Look in the 5D Mark III manual. Page "flash sync in Av mode". The go to the flash menue in your camera and set the settings you need.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:58:43 AM by M.ST »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »
Maybe you don't understand how to shoot flash controlling DOF. I do and have.

Sure, none of us understand that.   :P

But your misunderstanding is the cause of your current (non) issue.

If it is user error, then tell me why the T3i responds correctly? or is the T3i broken and the Mark III working correctly.

The thing that's not working correctly is the user - that's you, bub. Your 5DIII is set to Auto, your T3i is set to a 1/200 - 1/60 s limit.  You must have used some of those fingers you mention to change that setting on your T3i long ago, and forgotten.  Do let us know when Canon gets back to you, and tells you to send your 'broken' 5DIII in for service.   ::)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
Spot the odd one out:

Canon 5D3
Canon 180 L macro
Nissin ringflash

Sounds like a sh!t flash / RTFM issue.

Because of course, it should all just work out the box, thats why you spent all that money on it, right?

I use an even sh!ttier flash, but then I also understand how the kit works because I read the manual, and so it works for me!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »