October 21, 2014, 09:47:21 AM

Poll

How's it been for you, the 5D Mk3 owner, so far?

Been bullet-proof for me!
107 (86.3%)
Has had software issues.
7 (5.6%)
Had mechanical issues such as shutter etc.
4 (3.2%)
Took it back as I couldn't trust it.
0 (0%)
Other: Please add your experiences below.
6 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability  (Read 12845 times)

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »

Seriously thinking of selling my 5D Mk2 now that I can get a Mk3 for around £1800.

The 1DX just isn't realistic for me given the price and the Mk3 has advantages for what i shoot. The question isn't whether I want one regarding its features. I think it would be a great upgrade now.

Anyhoo, I'm seeing issues regarding reliability popping up on this and other forums regarding issues with it.

I'm concerned that I'll be going from the 5D Mk2, which is pretty much bullet-proof at this point due to how long they've been making them, to something that might let me down due to teething problems which seem to persist over a year since it was released.

Your thoughts, please?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:51 AM »
1st 5Dmk3 I got had completely defective AF it went back and i got a replacement new one which has been perfect and not missed a beat.

recently got a 5Dmk3 for my wife and hers about a month ago started having problems where AF would just stop working particularly with 70-200 lenses also looks like the shutter on that camera might be failing as using studio lights its getting random black banding at shutter speeds of 1/160 and below so its off to canon to be looked at
the AF issue it looks like one of the contact pins is jammed in and doesnt pop out when the lens is removed so i suspect this is the problem

so not the best track record of 2 out of 3 bodies needing some attention

but since there is no 1D option without integrated grip which i dont want the 5Dmk3 is the best available camera for what I want
APS-H Fanboy

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:14:25 AM »
Mine has had no issues (touch wood). It gets a pretty good allround workout. I did have an issue (error with electronic contacts) with my 70-200 whilst mounted on the 5d III but it was the lens that had the issue not the body.

Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer just in case there are any future issues.

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:01 AM »
I have 3 Mark III Bodies, bought two as soon as the 5DMK III was released, then purchased another body for my Son around 6 months ago, all 3 Camera Bodies have worked flawlessly, the first two have done 1 Trip for 6 weeks to the Antarctic, 2 trips to Iceland/Greenland, 5 trips to Africa on Safari sessions from Namibia/Botswana/Kenya/Sth Africa, and I don't spare my gear, I'm not abusive of it, but I tend not to worry about polishing it, they are simply Tools.

Of the 2 x 1Dx bodies I have as well, I've had one Body back to Canon for a replacement Focus Screen, apparently I must have left the Camera with a 400f/2.8 pointed directly into the Sun while having Lunch and the result was a partially melted Focus Screen.

The follow through from Canon Singapore is always first rate.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »
Haven't a single problem with mine. I've had it for just under a year now and have brought it with me everywhere. Toughest test would have been when the rain was pouring down on me five days in a row on a motorbike drive in Vietnam including a half day spent walking in the jungle in the A Shau valley where the camera became soaking wet as I shot a six minute video. My 24-105 needed a couple of days to dry up, but the body wasn't affected at all.

Based on my experience, you shouldn't hesitate. but I guess others have had different experiences.

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
Much better than the mk2.
(The batteriegrip didnt fit well, didnt notice the screw was a bit loose, and suddenly the whole camera didnt respond although it had energy.)

Generally the mk3 feels more solid. Little drawback: bit larger, heavier.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »
Focus points remain off center. No fix known.

Software issues have existed. The body freezes at times. Taking the battery out helps. Nothing like this has happened after the latest software update though - not yet at least.

Other than that it's been a great and trustworthy camera.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
Seriously thinking of selling my 5D Mk2 now that I can get a Mk3 for around £1800.

The 1DX just isn't realistic for me given the price and the Mk3 has advantages for what i shoot. The question isn't whether I want one regarding its features. I think it would be a great upgrade now.

Anyhoo, I'm seeing issues regarding reliability popping up on this and other forums regarding issues with it.

I'm concerned that I'll be going from the 5D Mk2, which is pretty much bullet-proof at this point due to how long they've been making them, to something that might let me down due to teething problems which seem to persist over a year since it was released.

Your thoughts, please?
Where are you seeing a 5DIII for £1800? The cheapest i've seen one for is £1929 inc Vat.

I was the first person in Wiltshire to have a 5D, 5DII and 5DIII...My cams are on a three year cycle and one of them always falls on the availability date for the 5D. Weird but true and very expensive....I end up paying through the nose for my "first of the new model".
I've run with my first 5DIII for over a year now and I've covered a lot of different events, weddings, wildlife, wild sea birds, landscapes. It's been in howling rain and wind, sandy beaches in winter (which nearly ruined my Gitzo tripod in one day), rainy weddings, thunder storms...and it hasn't missed a beat.
It's taken a few knocks and still looks kinda fresh. Although compared to my newer 5DIII, it's easy to see which one has had a harder life! The 5DIII is a far better built and more rugged camera than the 5D or 5DII ever was. Sure, there's always the odd manfacturing mistake, the odd rouge camera. But my copies have been consitently good and I would wager that the current 5DIII is nearly a rugged as a 1D series. It's not that far off.
When comparing a pair of 5DIII's to a single 1DX, it's hard to justify the additional expense of the 1DX. The 5DIII does so much so well....and it had that fab silent shutter mode. 6.5 fps is certainly fast enough for most uses, but if you need 12fps....then a 1DX is the only option.
The new AF array takes a while to get used to and to personalise. Please don't buy this on a friday and expect to be proficient in battle the next morning....it's got an entirely new menu system and 80% of this camera is new and improved. I had a 7D for a few years, so that helped a lot. But it was still quite a learning curve.

It's easily the best DSLR i've used professionally. By that, I mean that if you don't need the 12fps of the 1Dx, then the 5DIII is a better choice in nearly every area and it's a bit more versatile due to it's size and stealth.   

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »
Much better than the mk2. No problem with mine so far.

j1jenkins

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »

Your thoughts, please?
Where are you seeing a 5DIII for £1800? The cheapest i've seen one for is £1929 inc Vat.

I was the first person in Wiltshire to have a 5D, 5DII and 5DIII...My cams are on a three year cycle and one of them always falls on the availability date for the 5D. Weird but true and very expensive....I end up paying through the nose for my "first of the new model".
I've run with my first 5DIII for over a year now and I've covered a lot of different events, weddings, wildlife, wild sea birds, landscapes. It's been in howling rain and wind, sandy beaches in winter (which nearly ruined my Gitzo tripod in one day), rainy weddings, thunder storms...and it hasn't missed a beat.
It's taken a few knocks and still looks kinda fresh. Although compared to my newer 5DIII, it's easy to see which one has had a harder life! The 5DIII is a far better built and more rugged camera than the 5D or 5DII ever was. Sure, there's always the odd manfacturing mistake, the odd rouge camera. But my copies have been consitently good and I would wager that the current 5DIII is nearly a rugged as a 1D series. It's not that far off.
When comparing a pair of 5DIII's to a single 1DX, it's hard to justify the additional expense of the 1DX. The 5DIII does so much so well....and it had that fab silent shutter mode. 6.5 fps is certainly fast enough for most uses, but if you need 12fps....then a 1DX is the only option.
The new AF array takes a while to get used to and to personalise. Please don't buy this on a friday and expect to be proficient in battle the next morning....it's got an entirely new menu system and 80% of this camera is new and improved. I had a 7D for a few years, so that helped a lot. But it was still quite a learning curve.

It's easily the best DSLR i've used professionally. By that, I mean that if you don't need the 12fps of the 1Dx, then the 5DIII is a better choice in nearly every area and it's a bit more versatile due to it's size and stealth.

+1

I purchased mine shortly after it was released.  Fantastic camera that has performed spectacularly! 

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems a bit mixed so far.

The best price at the moment is £1850 from E-Infinity. They've got the 1DX for £3760 too if anyone is after one.

To be honest, I really hope that every 5D3 owner replies to the poll as it would give a useful overview of the reliability.

One for every camera would be cool.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »
My first 5D3 had some stuck pixels.  I returned it immediately and was given a replacement (the next serial number up, by 1), which has been perfect.

It was a huge financial outlay for me, costing £2750 for the body, but it has been worth it.  I strongly recommend buying from a trusted camera shop so that if anything does go wrong (like with my first copy), they treat you right.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:57:17 AM by smithy »
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »

Of the 2 x 1Dx bodies I have as well, I've had one Body back to Canon for a replacement Focus Screen, apparently I must have left the Camera with a 400f/2.8 pointed directly into the Sun while having Lunch and the result was a partially melted Focus Screen.

That is one of the most badass faults I have heard of in a long while ;D Good thing the rest survived!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
My 5D3 needed a new shutter in the first 10 days. It was the first in Australia. Other than the inconvenience,  it didn't fuss me all all. Just one of those things. CPS fixed it in 48 hours and loaned me a 1DX for that period.

Since then it's had constant and frequently heavy daily use and has delivered flawless performance just as one would reasonably expect.

Any mass produced item is going ship the occasional flawed unit...that's reality. Why sweat the small stuff? I wouldn't let isolated cases undermine the accurate perception that these are generally utterly reliable cameras.

-PW

rpiotr01

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »
I wasn't an EARLY adopter but I had mine since May of last year, right after they fixed the "light leak." It's been pretty rock solid for me, no issues.

To the OP's original point, 5DII to 5DIII is a bit of a different animal. There's a lot more menu to learn, a lot more finger motions to commit to muscle memory with setting AF points etc. The point is, build quality isn't your biggest concern making the move! Both have great IQ and should prove rock solid in the long run.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »