October 25, 2014, 03:07:48 AM

Poll

How's it been for you, the 5D Mk3 owner, so far?

Been bullet-proof for me!
107 (86.3%)
Has had software issues.
7 (5.6%)
Had mechanical issues such as shutter etc.
4 (3.2%)
Took it back as I couldn't trust it.
0 (0%)
Other: Please add your experiences below.
6 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability  (Read 12873 times)

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
Extremely happy with it.  It's my second though as I exchanged my first copy after taking it out of the box and looking through the viewfinder for the first time.  It had a big chunk of dust or something inside the viewfinder (almost smack in the middle dang it) and didn't think I could live with looking at it not know how long it would take to dislodge and get out of my line of sight. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
My 5D III, pre-ordered before release so it was full price, initially under-exposed all shots by about 2/3 of a stop. It went off to Canon for repair/review, and came back within the week working fine.

Since then, it has very occasionally lost the will to focus, but turning it off and on again has cured that.

No other problems, and a real joy to use - particularly if you like low-light photography. I've certainly never regretted the decision to buy.

I keep it in silent shutter mode most of the time - the quietness is a real benefit. Sitting watching a school play when the official (commercial) photography snaps away with his noisy Nikon that can be heard across the room, and thinking I could do that so much more discretely has been a bitter-sweet experience.

Interesting that you say the exposure was under by 2/3rds of a stop - I also feel mine under-exposes too often by about that much but usually put that down to never picking the right metering for the subject! Joking aside, I've been taking pics for probably 30yrs so should've learnt about exposure by now and yet I feel the need to over-expose by half or 2/3rds of a stop almost all the time. I suppose this isn't a vast amount but it does make me frown at times. I wonder if Canon tweaked a software parameter or made a hardware adjustment. Any clues?

Anyone else concerned by their 5D3's metering? (I don't need anyone to tell us all to buy a 1DX instead, yawn.)

I'm afraid there was no indication with the returned camera what they had altered.

To convince myself that it wasn't just me not understanding my new camera's metering, I tested it by photographing a neutral grey (gravel) under a cloudy sky - and it came out clearly underexposed. I contacted Canon (through Canon Professional Services), they asked me to send them some sample images, and once they saw them, they said to send the camera in. Back within a week, and exposure has been fine (subject to the usual challenges) since then.

The only oddity about the returned camera was that the shutter count had leapt by about 6,000, although someone else on this forum has explained that this would have happened when the camera picked up on the numbering of a card inserted by the repair workshop, and doesn't mean they took 6,000 photos to get it right!

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
I got my 5D III from 1st patch and still running with original firmware - SOLID -

Dylan

Do you ever upgrade firmware?   I tend to keep current but not sure if it is worth the risk (camera gets locked up just at the wrong time).

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »
My 5D III, pre-ordered before release so it was full price, initially under-exposed all shots by about 2/3 of a stop. It went off to Canon for repair/review, and came back within the week working fine.

Since then, it has very occasionally lost the will to focus, but turning it off and on again has cured that.

No other problems, and a real joy to use - particularly if you like low-light photography. I've certainly never regretted the decision to buy.

I keep it in silent shutter mode most of the time - the quietness is a real benefit. Sitting watching a school play when the official (commercial) photography snaps away with his noisy Nikon that can be heard across the room, and thinking I could do that so much more discretely has been a bitter-sweet experience.

Interesting that you say the exposure was under by 2/3rds of a stop - I also feel mine under-exposes too often by about that much but usually put that down to never picking the right metering for the subject! Joking aside, I've been taking pics for probably 30yrs so should've learnt about exposure by now and yet I feel the need to over-expose by half or 2/3rds of a stop almost all the time. I suppose this isn't a vast amount but it does make me frown at times. I wonder if Canon tweaked a software parameter or made a hardware adjustment. Any clues?

Anyone else concerned by their 5D3's metering? (I don't need anyone to tell us all to buy a 1DX instead, yawn.)

I usually shoot 1 to 2 stops over anyway and pull back down in post (as long as highlights are under control) Cuts the noise and banding down to nothing at higher ISO's.

And BTW, the 1DX also underexposes about 2/3 of a stop below the 5D3...but it also has an AE microadjustment setting so it can be tweaked....just sayin'

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
I meant to say, based on my experience, I would suggest having the exposure checked out - other than not having your camera for a few days, there's really nothing to lose. Personally I found having to have 2/3rds of a stop over-exposure permanently dialled in to be a pain, as I prefer to start from a mid-point before I decide whether any under or over-exposure is happening/necessary.

With no particular justification other than proof that I'm happy with the camera's metering now, these are a couple of pictures I took the other week - neither have had any exposure adjustment applied, they're just as they came from the camera. One with my 24-105mm, one with 8-15mm.

mr few shots

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • fera visum photographic
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
wow an amazing camera
upgraded from the 5DC which is also a very good camera only lacking in the AF Dept for moving subjects.
the silent shutter mode is the best for not spooking wildlife on the 5DIII
The only improvement would be faster frames per second but that is what you pay for in a 1DX
6 FPS is still pretty good especially for 22MP
I have to say when I do my part right the image quality is excellent.
I cannot fault this camera and I have used it vigorously since it was launched.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
I got my 5D III from 1st patch and still running with original firmware - SOLID -

Dylan

Do you ever upgrade firmware?   I tend to keep current but not sure if it is worth the risk (camera gets locked up just at the wrong time).

No....still using original firmware(ver: 1.0.7) and original "Light Leak" issue ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:34:09 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

Dylan

Still using original firmware(ver: 1.0.7) and original "Light Leak" issue ;)

Me too.  My lens cap shots are just terrible.  And EWP, I agree with the 1Dx's exposure vs. the 5D3.  I confirmed it today.  I would say, and I'm speculating, that this is designed such that at 0EV, there are no highlights blown, in evaluative mode.  I don't know for sure though.  The 1Dx has some added sophistication to its metering system.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
wow an amazing camera
upgraded from the 5DC which is also a very good camera only lacking in the AF Dept for moving subjects.
The only improvement would be faster frames per second but that is what you pay for in a 1DX

Higher FPS isn't the only thing the 1Dx better... Faster lens focus drive, much better metering, Much better sealing and construction, Dual CF cards ... list goes on. I do like the 5D3 silent shutter for weddings and events where the 1Dx shutter makes too much noise, like shooting golf.

Ahven

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
Had quite a few problems with mark III... the first one (just after 3 months of use) was the joystick button falling off. This was deemed a production flaw, but because my warranty is European and I live in South_America now I could not get it fixed which made me pretty furious. Apart from that on a recent trip to Yosemite I trusted its weather sealing and took photos in a little bit of rain. The camera died immediately and I could not get photos of an awesome thunderstorm hike near Half Dome (I wanted those long exposure lightning shots).

So I've had quite many problems, but what makes me nervous is Canons total disregard of my equipment when I'm not in their "warranty zone". I have had many doubts if I can continue working on Canon gear with these experiences. When I get back to Europe I will see if they'll make an exception in their warranty policies because I have already informed about the situation and that I'm coming back a bit after the warranty should be over. If or not I can get my camera fixed under warranty then will play a big role in my decision to continue with Canon.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
My 5D, two 5D MK II's and two 5D MK III's were fine.  I've had over 20 Canon DSLR's and no failures.  My Nikon DSLR's haven't failed either.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »
wow an amazing camera

Higher FPS isn't the only thing the 1Dx better... Faster lens focus drive, much better metering, Much better sealing and construction, Dual CF cards ... list goes on. I do like the 5D3 silent shutter for weddings and events where the 1Dx shutter makes too much noise, like shooting golf.

Be invited into a tennis match to shoot between two courts at the net.  Shoot a few frames with the 1Dx and see how long you last!  I luckily had my 5D3 on me, promptly switching to silent shutter mode  ;D
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »
wow an amazing camera

Be invited into a tennis match to shoot between two courts at the net.  Shoot a few frames with the 1Dx and see how long you last!  I luckily had my 5D3 on me, promptly switching to silent shutter mode  ;D

Yup, I have not had a chance to do any tennis yet, but Polo is another sport like that. I spooked a horse with the shutter sound on the 1Dx and was asked to swap to something a bit more quiet~

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 12:25:14 AM »
Had it 5 months, and it has been by my side everyday....  the weather here in India can be a it harsh, especially now the rains are starting, but so far it has held up.  It has been in extreme dry and heavy rain. -10C to +40C. All with zero problems! There was even one time i got charged by a sloth bear and without hesitation raised it at a weapon (i was fairly sure the camera would have survived even if i didn't)...  luckily for me the bear stumbled, reared and i had a chance to back away! But i think it would have survived being used a bear repellant too! :)

Solid camera...  I foresee a long and happy relationship! :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

chrisdeckard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Lotus Photography
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »
I've been impressed with the quality and have had no issues.  Though I was surprised it got so damaged from a single drop from about waist high onto a solid floor.  Probably most of the electronics including the sensor got replaced.  I figured it would take quite a bit more to damage it.
5D Mark III, 7D, 60D, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 24-70 f/2.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-40 f/4 L, TS-E 45 f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:27 AM »