October 20, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Poll

How's it been for you, the 5D Mk3 owner, so far?

Been bullet-proof for me!
107 (86.3%)
Has had software issues.
7 (5.6%)
Had mechanical issues such as shutter etc.
4 (3.2%)
Took it back as I couldn't trust it.
0 (0%)
Other: Please add your experiences below.
6 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability  (Read 12835 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mk3 Reliability
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
I typically set my 5D3 to overexpose by 2/3 stop for natural light, and a full stop for flash (E-TTL II) photography.  I've tested it with a grey card and the exposure seems pretty accurate.  It just seems that my subject matter is mostly light-coloured and so it overcompensates by underexposing.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 05:44:09 AM »
I typically set my 5D3 to overexpose by 2/3 stop for natural light, and a full stop for flash (E-TTL II) photography.  I've tested it with a grey card and the exposure seems pretty accurate.  It just seems that my subject matter is mostly light-coloured and so it overcompensates by underexposing.

I guess it depends if you are trying to protect one's highlights (clipping) or keeping the images clean from ISO noise. Sure expose to the right if you want less noise, but expose to the left if there's detail in the whites which need preserving.
At weddings I tend to shoot 2/3's under, but Wildlife and birds I tend to shoot about 2/3 over. I've found the 5DIII is more reliable and consistent at metering than my old 5DII was.

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 06:08:28 AM »
Thanks to those who've commented on the +2/3rds exposure - I tend to keep that amount dialled in and occasionally adjust based on what the image itself looks like on the rear screen (histograms be damned!). The warranty is up very soon so might get it checked out.

For those taking action shots in silent-mode, do you find it captures most/all of the action? A few people on the forum thought that due to the way silent-mode works (a more gentle mirror open/close function) meant the camera wouldn't be quite as reponsive for faster action. What do you reckon?

Fine weather today so off to try some birds in flight after lunch  ;D

siabod

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
Had focusing problems, takes a few shots then "freezes", almost as though it cannot recognize the lens, try to focus on other objects and after 2 - 3 attempts will restart. Happens on all settings (have not used it on auto but if I switch to auto while in fault mode it works).  Used 4 different lenses all get same fault . Purchased March 2013, returned to Canon via retailer who say no fault found and that I may be using wrong settings, if this is the case why does it work for a short time  then pack up then resume on same settings.  Used Mk 11 before this and when working this camera is is a delight to use.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Thanks to those who've commented on the +2/3rds exposure - I tend to keep that amount dialled in and occasionally adjust based on what the image itself looks like on the rear screen (histograms be damned!). The warranty is up very soon so might get it checked out.

For those taking action shots in silent-mode, do you find it captures most/all of the action? A few people on the forum thought that due to the way silent-mode works (a more gentle mirror open/close function) meant the camera wouldn't be quite as reponsive for faster action. What do you reckon?

You should learn to trust your histogram!  :)

I've tried using silent mode for action shots.  It's a no-go as far as I'm concerned.  The mechanism is just too slow to use - especially for bursts.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
There is a significant latency when pressing the shutter button in silent mode.  You can compensate but find it best not to use that mode for action shots.  This due to the dampening of the mirror and shutter to reduce noise.

You should learn to trust your histogram!  :)

I've tried using silent mode for action shots.  It's a no-go as far as I'm concerned.  The mechanism is just too slow to use - especially for bursts.

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »
Flawless, though got sprayed with a sea wave splash when taking a long exposure ...   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »
Ok, just over a year on one 5DIII and a few months on my second 5DIII. My oldest cam has taken a bit of damage this weekend, the top LCD cover has cracked quite spectacularly and will need replacing and there's a single screw missing from the bottom casing...not sure how that's happened, but I remember having a simular issue with my 5D classic a number of years back.  I use a dual camera harness system (it's good for my back and allows instant access to my cams....plus it looks cool) so my cameras tend to bounce about a bit.

Plastic covers get cracked quite easily, becuase they are designed to fail and absorb damage. Although this is the first time I've done this on a camera, I've broken a an AF windows on a lens before (70-200 L IS II).
The rear LCD on the 5DIII is now unprotected. All previous 5D cams had a plastic over lay / protector which broke fairlu easily. But the current model has the LCD glass bonded to the outer casing. If that breaks (and it's a lot tougher than the plastic protectors) it'll be a lot more expensive to repair.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
Mine has had no issues (touch wood). It gets a pretty good allround workout.

Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer just in case there are any future issues.

Cheers
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
Zombie thread!

So, after watching a ton of 5D2s go for around £950 on eBay, I've decided to wait and order my 5D3 now.

I plan to run them side by side for a bit and report my findings here.

There are 5D2s on eBay that are older and with a lot more actuations than mine, so waiting and comparing them won't make a whole lot of difference.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »