September 17, 2014, 09:58:11 AM

Author Topic: What is the next Canon lens you want or covet and why...  (Read 17778 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: What is the next Canon lens you want or covet and why...
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
50f1.8 ?

that is a great little lens.   for about three years it was my favorite lens.   now I have three L  lenses and a fisheye,  and while they are excellent,  most of my photos that hang on the wall are from that one hundred dollar  plastic lens.   but part of that might be laziness about printing out new prints and framing them.

And if you believe DXO, it is rated higher than the 600F4 V2...... And at only 1/80th the price..  :)

That's why I don't believe DXO ... not saying the 50mm f/1.8 is a bad lens.

I do believe DxO.  But you have to uderstand what their numbers mean, and that's the problem - most people don't take the time to do so, and dismiss useful information out of hand.

The 600 II is better in terms of sharpness, distortion, vignetting, and CA.  The 50/1.8 has higher transmission...and a higher 'DxOMark Score'.  Why?  As they state, "The DxOMark Score is measured for defined exposure conditions corresponding to low-light scene with 150 lux illumination and an exposure time of 1/60s. These conditions were chosen as we believe low-light performances are very important for today’s photography and it is also important for photographers to know how well lenses perform at the widest aperture."  At 150 lux and 1/60 s, which will perform better - an f/1.8 lens or an f/4 lens?  That's why the 50/1.8 is 'better'.  For most of us, the 'Score' isn't often relevant.  However, the Measurements are a useful tool to compare lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
50f1.8 ?

that is a great little lens.   for about three years it was my favorite lens.   now I have three L  lenses and a fisheye,  and while they are excellent,  most of my photos that hang on the wall are from that one hundred dollar  plastic lens.   but part of that might be laziness about printing out new prints and framing them.

And if you believe DXO, it is rated higher than the 600F4 V2...... And at only 1/80th the price..  :)

That's why I don't believe DXO ... not saying the 50mm f/1.8 is a bad lens.

I do believe DxO.  But you have to uderstand what their numbers mean, and that's the problem - most people don't take the time to do so, and dismiss useful information out of hand.

The 600 II is better in terms of sharpness, distortion, vignetting, and CA.  The 50/1.8 has higher transmission...and a higher 'DxOMark Score'.  Why?  As they state, "The DxOMark Score is measured for defined exposure conditions corresponding to low-light scene with 150 lux illumination and an exposure time of 1/60s. These conditions were chosen as we believe low-light performances are very important for today’s photography and it is also important for photographers to know how well lenses perform at the widest aperture."  At 150 lux and 1/60 s, which will perform better - an f/1.8 lens or an f/4 lens?  That's why the 50/1.8 is 'better'.  For most of us, the 'Score' isn't often relevant.  However, the Measurements are a useful tool to compare lenses.

Thanks Neuro ... the measurements are good enough but I don't believe in the ratings and scores DXO sets out - in this case, I don't see the point as to why one would need to compare the 50mm vis-a-vis the 600mm.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

P_R

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
The 50mm f/1.2 especially since the 85 f/1.2 is so nice to use, albeit with slow focus.  The very large aperture allows for creativity but my technique of focus and recompose is not exactly compatible with high apertures!
Maybe a body upgrade then the 50...
It doesn't matter where you start, it's where you finish.  All that counts is the photograph.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:53 PM »
What I'd really like to see Canon do is re-release the FD to EF lens adapter again.  I'd love to be able to
use my collection of FD lenses on a digital body (with a real viewfinder for you EOS-M fans) even with the
restrictions to "manual" use. 

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
14-24 f2.8
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »