December 20, 2014, 04:14:37 PM

Author Topic: Replacement foot for 500Mk 1  (Read 2615 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Replacement foot for 500Mk 1
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
I am interested I replacing the foot on my 500mm lens.  Any recommendation about which manufacturer to get?

Also any tricks to loosening the screws?   I tried to replace the foot a while ago with no luck.  I was only able to 1 screw loose.

canon rumors FORUM

Replacement foot for 500Mk 1
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement foot for 500Mk 1
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
Can any one comment?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »
RRS or Kirk.  Make sure you have a good, long hex key and pull hard, use an extender (short length of pipe) if needed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »
RRS or Kirk.  Make sure you have a good, long hex key and pull hard, use an extender (short length of pipe) if needed.

This pretty much, I have the RSS foot on my 400 and 500 MKII's. They make a great handle and I can shoulder both if needed while attached to a monopod.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
Thanks.  Interesting no mention of wimberley or 4th Gen or ...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »

Wimberley doesn't do a replacement foot for the 500/4, they recommend the P-40 plate, and you asked about a replacement foot not a plate. 

The 4th Gen foot is more like a plate than a foot, but one that bolts directly onto the mount.  I think they do that for the superteles so the big diameter lenses are centered over the Mongoose head (Wimberley has that issue with their Sidekick and Side Mount heads, and they recommend those flat 'feet' for the 400/600/800 lenses, but not the 500).  I don't like that design, because it means you can't use the lens foot as a handle to carry the lens. 

Like I said...RRS or Kirk.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
Thanks NA

Wimberley doesn't do a replacement foot for the 500/4, they recommend the P-40 plate, and you asked about a replacement foot not a plate. 

The 4th Gen foot is more like a plate than a foot, but one that bolts directly onto the mount.  I think they do that for the superteles so the big diameter lenses are centered over the Mongoose head (Wimberley has that issue with their Sidekick and Side Mount heads, and they recommend those flat 'feet' for the 400/600/800 lenses, but not the 500).  I don't like that design, because it means you can't use the lens foot as a handle to carry the lens. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
Thanks NA

Hi RGF, I've changed all my Big White feet with the RRS Foot replacement, I tried the Wimberley Plates but just wasn't satisfied with the set up, the RRS replacement feet have worked exceptionally well, very Happy. The attached is the RRS foot your looking for, I don't have experience with anything else to compare.

For loosening stuck screws I've found this works for me, Place your screwdriver head into the screw, then a sharp tap with a Hammer (sharp tap, not an all out Arnold shot), if this doesn't loosen it, try soaking the screw area in WD40 overnight.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:45:54 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks NA

Hi RGF, I've changed all my Big White feet with the RRS Foot replacement, I tried the Wimberley Plates but just wasn't satisfied with the set up, the RRS replacement feet have worked exceptionally well, very Happy. The attached is the RRS foot your looking for, I don't have experience with anything else to compare.

For loosening stuck screws I've found this works for me, Place your screwdriver head into the screw, then a sharp tap with a Hammer (sharp tap, not an all out Arnold shot), if this doesn't loosen it, try soaking the screw area in WD40 overnight.

Thanks for advise on how to loose the screw

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »