September 20, 2014, 12:20:18 AM

Author Topic: what to do  (Read 10282 times)

500d

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
what to do
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
i have a 500d and im thinking of  upgrading to a new body  but should  i buy  new glass instead

canon rumors FORUM

what to do
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
depends

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
Some more information would be helpful for us to give you some advice. First, do you find yourself technically limited by your camera? Or are you just thinking because you have some cash you should get the latest and greatest? The general advice most often given is get better glass rather than replacing your body. A fantastic body with some crappy glass won't give you the images you think you might get. But a great lens on a decent body (and virtually all bodies these days are at least decent) can improve your image quality (which can be somewhat subjective) quite a bit. If you think you want to make photography a long term serious hobby, I'd look at Canon L series lenses, although there have been some recent releases by Sigma and Tamron which provide quite good quality at a significantly lesser price than Canon L. In the case of the new Sigma 35mm, it actually is optically better than the Canon 35mm L.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
What lenses do you currently have? What do you shoot? What's your budget? What limits you most with your current kit?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
Yes. Glass is always a better investment than bodies. If you're asking the question, glass will be a better benefit than a new body.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
sorry my psychic powers are malfunctioning at the moment you are going to have to fill in a fair bit more info here if you want a serious answer from anyone since without my psychic powers I have no way of know WTF you already have, how much money you have to spend or what it is you want to do with your gear

failing that buy 4 1Dx bodies and 2 of each and every Canon L series lens 12 Ex600RT flashes

oh better get a couple of 5Dmk3 for backups and so you can do continuous RAW video with Magic lantern

that should about cover it :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:26:01 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
sorry my psychic powers are malfunctioning at the moment you are going to have to fill in a fair bit mor info here if you want a serious answer from anyone since without my psychic powers I have no way of know WTF you already have, how much money you have to spend or what it is you want to do with your gear

failing that buy 4 1Dx bosies and 2 of each every Canon L series lens 12 Ex600RT flashes

oh better get a couple of 5Dmk3 for backups and so you can do continuous RAW video with Magic lantern

Other than this being exceptionally good advise, it's also what I miss after living overseas for 30 years, the Aussie sense of what most of us call, Humour, it doesn't quire translate in the rest of the world, but I still love it, I'm still laughing as I write this.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
sorry my psychic powers are malfunctioning at the moment you are going to have to fill in a fair bit mor info here if you want a serious answer from anyone since without my psychic powers I have no way of know WTF you already have, how much money you have to spend or what it is you want to do with your gear

failing that buy 4 1Dx bosies and 2 of each every Canon L series lens 12 Ex600RT flashes

Other than this being exceptionally good advise, it's also what I miss after living overseas for 30 years, the Aussie sense of what most of us call, Humour, it doesn't quire translate in the rest of the world, but I still love it, I'm still laughing as I write this.
I agree although I'm not Aussie.

Also, very sound advice as always from WW  :P

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »

failing that buy 4 1Dx bodies and 2 of each and every Canon L series lens 12 Ex600RT flashes

I actually met someone like that  He currently has 2 1DX, 2 1D4, 1D3, 5D3, 5D2 and every L glass and Canon accessory.  He put down photojournalists because some of their work is in black and white and he never shoot jpeg because it's for the lesser shooters.  I watched him at an event and he spent more time fiddling with his gear than shooting.  He was shooting with a ring flash at a sporting event.  He told me he is a first adopted of everything Canon releases and would never sell any old body because their actuations are so low.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »
i have a 500d and im thinking of  upgrading to a new body  but should  i buy  new glass instead

Yes if you love glass, no if your glass is sufficient

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »

Neither. Get an underwater housing. 

Of course, I'm just guessing that's your most pressing need, based on the information you provided.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »

I actually met someone like that  He currently has 2 1DX, 2 1D4, 1D3, 5D3, 5D2 and every L glass and Canon accessory.  He put down photojournalists because some of their work is in black and white and he never shoot jpeg because it's for the lesser shooters.  I watched him at an event and he spent more time fiddling with his gear than shooting.  He was shooting with a ring flash at a sporting event.  He told me he is a first adopted of everything Canon releases and would never sell any old body because their actuations are so low.
So that is one way of getting low actuations on a body. Keep fiddling and don't shoot!  ;)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

I agree although I'm not Aussie.

Also, very sound advice as always from WW  :P
I like that kind of humour too. Also not an Aussie. Although Radio Australia was my favourite radio station in the 70s - too bad I can't catch it any more. May be I should build a hobby kit radio with 13 and 16 meter band and check. Do they transmit on short wave any more?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »

Neither. Get an underwater housing. 

Of course, I'm just guessing that's your most pressing need, based on the information you provided.   ::)

You know, I wait, anticipate, for this man's posts, searching for wisdom . . . and now he's frigging out-sarcasming me . . . WTF????

Well played sir, well played. You're a techno-mage, aren't you?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »

lol

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »