April 28, 2017, 11:33:21 PM

Author Topic: canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what  (Read 3089 times)

Fleetie

• Canon 6D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • My Facebook
Re: canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what
« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:42:35 PM »
Naah, it's crap; it's not even an L.

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Seriously, I am amazed that such a lens exists!

Thanks for posting this link! Fascinating!

Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8  ,  EF 2x III
Canon EOS M5  ,  EF-M 18-150  ,  Samyang EF-M 50mm T/1.3
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:42:35 PM »

Tom W

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #16 on: Today at 04:01:35 PM »
300 f/1.8 - the original Fat-Boy!

rwvaughn

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:37:30 PM »
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?

We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.

Pippan

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:58:25 PM »
I'm wondering what use 6" of DOF would be in a photofinish.

IglooEater

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:27:57 PM »
Why is such a high serial number stamped on the lens when only a few were ever made?

We only read of one race tracks use of this super specialty lens in the article. However, I would imagine that there were more than just a few made, and more than just a few are still being used for photo finish work. Take the number of race tracks in existence, and barring a competing lens being used manufactured by Nikon, it's plausible that dozens of this lens were made and exist.

Just because the serial number stamped on the lens is a high number could have very little meaning. It could represent some sort of code much like the Canon Date Code. The serial number could identify the lens to Canon as a certain series, lens type and production specimen as a whole. There's really no way to know.

One has to wonder how many other super specialty lenses exist for specific applications that are not listed in the general Canon/Nikon lens catalogs due to trade secret reasons or due to contractual non-disclosure obligations?

Canon, Nikon and even Tamron have whole industrial optics divisions that produce lenses that are not listed in there general consumer lens line ups. I don't find it impossible that there are other monsters out there with wide apertures to be discovered.

Oooooh, so their might be a 400mm f/1.8?
Or maybe a 10-1000 f/1.0.  ;D

LonelyBoy

• Canon 70D
« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:01:32 PM »
Or maybe a 10-1000 f/1.0.  ;D

I knew they were just holding out on us all this time.

Luds34

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:10:17 PM »
Oooooh!!

I gotta put an alert for myself on cannon watch......and try to grab one of these bad boys on a refurb sale!!!

;)

cayenne

Haha, yes good call. I'd be right behind you but 300mm isn't my top focal length. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:10:17 PM »

Lurker

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #22 on: Today at 09:23:49 PM »
That's why it is marked "PE". I wonder what PE stands for.

Bronica ETRSi PE mount?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: Today at 09:23:49 PM »