December 18, 2017, 03:40:13 PM

Author Topic: Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]  (Read 9235 times)

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
Re: Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
 I love the value proposition of the 'one stop slower lens with IS that is half the size/weight as the faster L lens' lenses.  I
But I am not the market.
At least there are two people in the same market *pointing on myself*
Question is how many are "a market" in the eyes of Canon ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:12:50 AM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
First, you make some assumptions here I could throw in your face just like you & your body just did.

Then some people might look very differently on this list. E.g. smaller lens might be a positive, vignetting can be corrected (the current f/1.8 has <2 stops wide open, reasonable), etc.

You are arguing with someone who agrees with you on at least a piece of this.  I love the value proposition of the 'one stop slower lens with IS that is half the size/weight as the faster L lens' lenses.  I personally own and love a few of them:

35 f/2 IS
16-35 f/4L IS
24-70 f/4L IS

Except both lenses would have IS, the f stop difference would be less than one stop, the weight difference would be a pound. Combine this with the value proposition, and you can see my argument about stealing sales from the f/1.4L IS USM.

But I am not the market.

If we want to disregard Canon's non-L ring USM avoidance of late, Canon could absolutely sell an 85 f/1.8 IS USM alongside an 85 f/1.4L IS USM and still sell both lenses quite well without the cheaper undercutting the more expensive one.  Because the L would be sealed, outresolve the f/1.8 lens, probably have more blades and generate softer bokeh, manage aberrations better, have better build quality, etc.

Again...

1) Some people just don't care about weather sealing and build quality, unless a new 85mm f/1.8 IS USM would be worse off than the existing 85mm f/1.8.

2) Question is how big the IQ difference would be. I doubt it would be significant.

Finally, the question is not just whether the hypothetical f/1.8 IS USM would sell well, it's whether it would make more profit than the current f/1.8 USM.

Considering the large investment in making a new lens and the sales [I think] it would steal from the f/1.4L IS USM, I'm not sure it would be more profitable for Canon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »