October 01, 2014, 07:05:25 AM

Poll

Of the newly announced lenses, which one are you most excited about?

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Pancake
8 (8.1%)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
4 (4%)
Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II
18 (18.2%)
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
5 (5.1%)
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM (S)
16 (16.2%)
Samyang 12mm f/2.8 Full Frame Fish Eye
13 (13.1%)
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
14 (14.1%)
Something else (post below)
10 (10.1%)
Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4
11 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: What New Lens are You Most Excited About?  (Read 4632 times)

Hjalmarg1

• EOS M2
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
Re: What New Lens are You Most Excited About?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
I didn't notice the Sigma 135 f/1.8 OS Art mentioned.
Is such lens announced? Just rumors AFAIK...

True. Supposedly, the 24 and the 85 Art will come first and I have no doubt they will be excellent, but it's the 135 that I find most exciting from a creative point of view. It's as close to the EF 200 f/2 as I'll ever get.
+1, These two 24mm and 85mm from Sigma will fit in my collection. And hopefully will be at the same level of the 35A and 50A.
I hope the new 400mm f4 DO will be farily priced between the f2.8 and f5.6 versions.
Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
I just caught wind of the Schneider 50mm f/2.8 tilt-shift.  I'm not sure if I want more to use it or look at it, but either way I want one.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

gsealy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »
The Zeiss Otus 85mm 1.4 is amazing.  Just read the reviews and look at the comparison photos taken with other lenses.  If I had it I would strap it on, walk down the street , and shoot everything that walks, talks, and is standing. I wouldn't go home until the memory card is filled up. 

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2014, 02:15:29 AM »
Thanks. How is the A7r for underwater? I don't live near a body of water that has anything interesting in it, but years ago I worked with a guy who did reef photography with a film camera (that was just before the turning of the age to digital), and his stuff was amazing. I've loved it ever since. I bet an A7s would be phenomenal for the lower light levels in a reef.

The a7r works a treat as an underwater replacement for the 1DMK IV & 5DMK III which have been my main Cameras for a while, 5DMK II before that & 5D before that, and for a while I housed the Nikon 3 Dx but it was getting out of hand when heading off on a dive trip, 3 Cameras, 3 different Housings, needed a Sherpa just to carry the gear. The footprint of the a7r Housed is 30% less than the 5DMK III so much easier to handle in stiff currents, the housed 1DMK IV is an absolute bitch when you get any sort of current, but the 1.3 crop with the 100 Macro works so very well.

The only issue I have again is the EVF & the fact that there are no, as yet, Zeiss Macro Lenses for the a7r, currently I use it with the 35f/2.8 Zeiss Lens, then the Metabones adaptor with my Canon 8-15f/4 (mostly @ 15) & the Canon 100 f/2.8 II Macro (an exceptionally good Macro Lens, kills the Nikon 105). Set to that I use two Seacam Strobes for lighting & a small focus light on top of the Housing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 02:35:59 AM »
How is the Metabones adapter with other Canon lenses? Does it work well? I am not sure that, if I added an A7r to my kit, that I'd stick with it. I am thinking it would probably be mostly a temporary thing, then I'd sell it and either get the A7r "Mark II" if one comes out soon, or if by some miracle Canon actually turns the 5D IV into a landscape behemoth with 40-50mp AND better Exmore-level DR (the former I think is likely...the latter I think is very unlikely from Canon at this point.)

The Metabones works well, I use it quite a lot these days with the TSE 17 & 24, plus the Zeiss Lenses (15,21,Otus 55, 135 & soon the Otus 85), I like the files from the a7r, certainly better than the 5DMK III, I have 2 5DMK III Bodies that I'm going to sell, I have used the 5D in my Underwater Imaging but recently bought a Housing for the a7r, smaller footprint, better Images.

Like yourself, waiting for Canon to develop that 50MP Sensor & stick into a 1D Body (need the robustness & weather proofing of the 1D line). But I think it's a couple years away at best, more chance of an improved a7r II before we see Canon go + 22MP.
I have resisted the A7R by telling myself that something would happen at Photokina, but now we know nothing will. Ideally I would have liked a 1DXs, but would also be happy with a 5DIV, provided the spec was right. The negative debate about DR, all-singing-and-dancing bodies etc. is a bit difficult for me to understand. I don´t need everything in one body, even though that would be preferable. For fast action stuff, I will be happy to use my 1DX for years and I will most likely add the 7DII to that. But the majority of images i shoot are low iSO and single frame, where I would like to have as much resolution and DR as possible. So a high resolution. high DR at low ISO and, most likely, low fps would be fine. I also believe the majority of stills, studio, landscape etc. photographers would feel the same. I have even looked at the Pentax 645z, but I am a bit put off by the thought of adding even more lenses, bodies and accessories to an over crowded portfolio. How do you pack a backpack for a trip then ... ?

So the question for me now is; Should I get the A7R as a gap filler? Edward; Are you sufficiently happy with yours to recommend that?
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

lintoni

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Canon Rumors - the one place on the net where a thread entitled "What New Lens Are You Most Excited About?" is guarenteed to become a discussion about the D800/D810 and the A7r within 5 pages! Guys, aren't there enough threads about the 7Dii for discussions on the Exmor sensors and the cameras containing them?!? ;)
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

lintoni

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Would have been interested in the Tamron 15-30, but that front element looks way too bulbous for filters. Oh well...
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Canon Rumors - the one place on the net where a thread entitled "What New Lens Are You Most Excited About?" is guarenteed to become a discussion about the D800/D810 and the A7r within 5 pages! Guys, aren't there enough threads about the 7Dii for discussions on the Exmor sensors and the cameras containing them?!? ;)
Really, we Canonrumors users can not stick to topic subject. :P Any conversation always ends up talking about the better dinamic range of Exmor sensors. :-[

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
Dear Surapon, is that lens FF compatible?  I realize you have it on a FF body, but from what I've read, it sounds like there are dark borders on FF sensors?  If not, that might be the lens I'm looking for - but if so, I'll wait for the 12mm.

Dylan, yes, it's for the 1D X.  It's compatible in terms of fit, but the manual warns of metering and AF markings being off from the stock screen.  There's no exposure compensation setting for it in the custom functions, so it's only semi-supported.  Eldar & Edward don't report that being an issue, so I'm hoping that's the case as I really miss my Ef-S & Eg-S screens.  Neuro pointed out some time ago that you can use the custom function to tweak the metering as well if it's an issue.  There are custom screens available for the 5DIII as well.

Okay, Eldar beat me to the reply...and maybe the exposure difference will work out as I tend to overexpose nearly all of my photos by 2/3 - 1 EV for ETTR anyways :)

Dear Friend, Mr. mackguyver.
Yes, This 8 mm Fish eyes is for Small Sensor, But When I use with my FF. Camera, I can Crop and still get the Best  of Fisheye Effect too.
But , So cheap.
Have a great Sunday, Sir.
Surapon

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
So the question for me now is; Should I get the A7R as a gap filler? Edward; Are you sufficiently happy with yours to recommend that?

No, simple answer, I've adapted to the a7r primarily because of the sensor & small footprint for Underwater use.

As a replacement for the 1Dx not in the same league, may never be (for wildlife, anything that moves quick, weather proofing, ruggedness).

As a replacement for the 5DMK III ? In most situations I believe it can & does, with the exception of Lens Support at this point. Currently I use my Canon/Zeiss Lenses with the Metabones adaptor, not a perfect situation, but it does work well.

I'll be interested to see what Sony does with the a7r II, or, wether or not Sony drop that +50MP CMOS Sensor into a DSLR, that would almost certainly see me buying into the system and if they set the Camera up to use any Lens (via adaptors), maybe getting close to what I'de like to see in a high MP Canon Body.

I think the current a7r is a good Camera with future potential as a system, it's not yet a very good camera just yet.

The 5DMK III for it's few idiosyncrasies is still a very good Camera with all the support that Canon provides, until Sony can match that it's probably not effective to look at the a7r other than as an experiment, or for a specific reason (Housed size for underwater use).

I've looked at the Fuji XT-1 for a few reasons, but a friend of mine has one and the EVF on this Camera is where I'de like to see Canon move towards in a 5DMK IV with 40MP sensor, perhaps the best iteration of an EVF I've seen, still has lag, but it's so minimal you hardly notice it, maybe where the a7r will be next year.

Of all the systems I've looked at in the last 12 to 18 months, the Pentax 645z is the best development I've seen, if they had a better Lens line up with Leaf Shutter Lenses as an option (current lens lineup sync speed is 1/200th ?? from memory), for anything other than Wildlife I'de be on board.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

gregorywood

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • The Photographer's Lens
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »
I do not plan to buy any of these lenses.  The Otus 85mm interest me, but only to see if it sets a new quality benchmark, its way out of my budget. 

I'm still hoping and saving for the long rumored 100-400 mkII or a new 50 or 85 IS.

+1

I'm waiting for the modern versions of the old favorites - 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and an updated 100-400mm.  I've considered going to the Sigma line to fill these gaps, but I've not had great luck with Sigma lenses in the past regarding consistent sharp focus.  I hear it's getting better, but I'm still apprehensive.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
Dear Surapon, is that lens FF compatible?  I realize you have it on a FF body, but from what I've read, it sounds like there are dark borders on FF sensors?  If not, that might be the lens I'm looking for - but if so, I'll wait for the 12mm.

Dylan, yes, it's for the 1D X.  It's compatible in terms of fit, but the manual warns of metering and AF markings being off from the stock screen.  There's no exposure compensation setting for it in the custom functions, so it's only semi-supported.  Eldar & Edward don't report that being an issue, so I'm hoping that's the case as I really miss my Ef-S & Eg-S screens.  Neuro pointed out some time ago that you can use the custom function to tweak the metering as well if it's an issue.  There are custom screens available for the 5DIII as well.

Okay, Eldar beat me to the reply...and maybe the exposure difference will work out as I tend to overexpose nearly all of my photos by 2/3 - 1 EV for ETTR anyways :)

Dear Friend, Mr. mackguyver.
Yes, This 8 mm Fish eyes is for Small Sensor, But When I use with my FF. Camera, I can Crop and still get the Best  of Fisheye Effect too.
But , So cheap.
Have a great Sunday, Sir.
Surapon
Surapon, thanks for posting more samples and information about this lens.  I think I'll wait for the 12mm and hopefully it will be pretty reasonable.  The samples look really nice, even though it looks like they were all shot at ISO 3200+ on the 5DII!  If it turns out to cost $500+ or something, I'll take another look at your recommendation for sure :)

Thanks again for the details!

Mr_Canuck

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
16-35 f/4
6D | Voigt 20 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | EX420 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100 — go light, go far...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »

Helios68

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My flickr profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
EF 400mm f/4 DO

As a wildlife photographer I am looking for quite long focal lengths MTF charts would be interesting as focusing speed with the new 7D mkII with or without extenders.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »