September 17, 2014, 09:56:22 AM

Author Topic: Canon direct mail marketing  (Read 3559 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Canon direct mail marketing
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »
I have dutifully registered my Canon products, using their online registration tool.  Thus, they have my address.  Their database should also tell them that I have a fair amount of gear registered with them, pretty much all of it high end stuff.  By 'fair amount', I mean $40K worth at current retail prices.  You'd think, armed with that knowledge, they'd be able to have a pretty good idea of what would interest me as a consumer, right? 

Today, I received my first direct (snail) mailing from Canon.  A brochure for the new EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x, perhaps?  An ad highlighting the benefits of their excellent RT flash system, GPS accessories, etc.?

Nope.  A little brochure highlighting the features of a pair of dSLRs sure to be of interest to a 1D X owner...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Canon direct mail marketing
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon direct mail marketing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
I especially liked the page describing the 'Incredible Speed' of the 9-point AF system, and the up to 5 fps continuous shooting.   ::)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
How many did you buy?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
LOL.

At least there was one image in the brochure which I found inspiring...

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »
There's a reason they call it "mass" marketing.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
Filtering and consumer-centric marketing is not as easy you might think.  That is, until you make the commitment to CRM (like Amazon) and then you can make your marketing $ much more efficient.

In other word, laziness.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »
Filtering and consumer-centric marketing is not as easy you might think.  That is, until you make the commitment to CRM (like Amazon) and then you can make your marketing $ much more efficient.

In other word, laziness.
Actually, Canon could market high end stuff to CPS members, its a no brainer.  No CRM required.  Google is the king of targeted marketing, if I look at a product online, I'll suddenly see it in Google advertising everywhere I go.

They are working on extending this to retail stores with their face recognition, in the not distant future, advertising will follow you from store to store.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
I see a new "must have" for Neuro!

sek

I have dutifully registered my Canon products, using their online registration tool.  Thus, they have my address.  Their database should also tell them that I have a fair amount of gear registered with them, pretty much all of it high end stuff.  By 'fair amount', I mean $40K worth at current retail prices.  You'd think, armed with that knowledge, they'd be able to have a pretty good idea of what would interest me as a consumer, right? 

Today, I received my first direct (snail) mailing from Canon.  A brochure for the new EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x, perhaps?  An ad highlighting the benefits of their excellent RT flash system, GPS accessories, etc.?

Nope.  A little brochure highlighting the features of a pair of dSLRs sure to be of interest to a 1D X owner...
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »
They did well - they offered you something you don't have yet. Clearly they were looking at what you already own.

And yes you should have one - for occasions when you don't want to bring the bulky stuff (dining out with the family), or when you want to shoot fast action and sports.

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »
They did well - they offered you something you don't have yet. Clearly they were looking at what you already own.

And yes you should have one - for occasions when you don't want to bring the bulky stuff (dining out with the family), or when you want to shoot fast action and sports.

Ahab's got a point, after all, "the world's smallest and lightest digital SLR" is not yet in your kit. THAT might give you bragging rights.  ;D

-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »

In other word, laziness.
Actually, Canon could market high end stuff to CPS members, its a no brainer.  No CRM required.  Google is the king of targeted marketing, if I look at a product online, I'll suddenly see it in Google advertising everywhere I go.

They are working on extending this to retail stores with their face recognition, in the not distant future, advertising will follow you from store to store.
Agree lots of possibilities.   But need to act on them.   Depending upon how names are stored, who does it, ...  We get ads for Rebels

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
Isn't it obvious? They know that you do not have the T5i or the SL1 - duh!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

LOL! I still laugh at your Crocodile Dundee stunt at your daughers sports arrangement... I see a paralel.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Right that's the last straw I'm off to the dark side they've never sent me anything  >:(

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
Yes, but does your 1DX have a mode dial that goes all the way around?
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »