July 24, 2014, 05:28:38 AM

Author Topic: 5dm3 - FPS Drops when battery below 50%  (Read 7871 times)

phoizen

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
5dm3 - FPS Drops when battery below 50%
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »
Hello to anyone reading. Long time reader first time poster! Managed to find every answer I ever needed by searching. However, this problem I could not find a specific answer to. If it has been posted before could someone please refer a link for me?

Problem: When my battery level drops below 50% the 5dM3 FPS rate drops to about half as fast. I have the shooting mode on High Speed Continuous. Have tested 4 different battery's, tried it with and without the grip, and also tested on my second 5dm3 body. Results are the same across the board. Even with the grip and two battery's inserted, when BOTH battery's fall below 50% the FPS will drop.

Anyone have any clue on why? Swear it wasn't doing this the first 5 months I've shot with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

5dm3 - FPS Drops when battery below 50%
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »

M.ST

Re: 5dm3 - FPS Drops when battery below 50%
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
The FPS drops before the battery is below 50 %.

I reported this problem in November 2011 to Canon.

You can nothing do against it.

The main problem is that Canon use the old battery from the Mark II and 7D in the Mark III and dont bring a new more powerfull battery on the market.

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »
When a battery goes flat it has less power, so it is reasonable to expect things to slow down. To maintain the same speed on less voltage you would need more current, that could give serious problems. Sounds like a safety feature to me. Bigger batteries would mean a heavier camera.

There are 2 obvious solutions. 1 get a grip with second battery or get spares. Seems you have done both. If you really need the speed for so many shots and can't change batteries then you could up grade your camera. A 1Dx would be my choice.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
I have not noticed this problem. Hmmmm.

phoizen

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the input! I see I'm not alone.

I have tried brand new battery's and still same issue. However I seriously do not recall this occurring during the first few months of use. I wonder, would it help to use the AA pack in the grip?

Mostly on the wedding scene, so it's nice to run the battery's down over a couple days shooting. Otherwise you start with good FPS, then halfway through the shoot it drops. =/

Going to update firmware and give the AA cradle a shot. See whats what.

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
Thanks for the input! I see I'm not alone.

I have tried brand new battery's and still same issue. However I seriously do not recall this occurring during the first few months of use.

so it's nice to run the battery's down over a couple days shooting.

Try reading the manual you may find that the "issue" is perfectly normal. If you don't find that then try reading page 113  :-[   If you had something like a remote control car would you really complain about an "issue" if it ran slower when the batteries were flat?

As you didn't notice this normal behavior for the first few months it sounds like its not really such a problem.

Why on earth is it "nice to run the battery's down over a couple of days"? Are you trying to make the "issue" worse?

Camerajah

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
the manual says to charge the battery the day before or on the day of usage.
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

can0nfan2379

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
As Skulker mentioned, this is perfectly normal for the 5D3.

Just as a side note though, I never recalled my 7D ever slowing down even with 10-20% battery left.

Does anyone know -- is it the fact that the mirror is simply larger (being full frame as opposed to crop) and there is more mass to move with insufficient voltage/current accounting for the slowdown? Just curious.
5D3  |  Zeiss ZE 21/2.8  |  Zeiss ZE 50/2.0  |  EF 85 1.2LII  |  EF 70-200 2.8L IS I  |  EF 300 2.8L IS I  |  TC 1.4x II  |  RRS MH-01 + MC34  |  F-Stop Tilopa BC

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »

Mostly on the wedding scene, so it's nice to run the battery's down over a couple days shooting. Otherwise you start with good FPS, then halfway through the shoot it drops. =/

Why do you think it is nice to run the batteries down?  It isn't.  Li-Ion batteries are better off being used partially and then recharged.  These aren't the olden days of NiCd's.

See Table 2 at:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Sounds to me like you just need to keep some spare charged batteries on hand, and swap them out when you notice the speed drop.

I'll have to try and see if I have the same experience - I normally never let my batteries fall below 50% so as to maximize lifetime and to ensure that UI never run out of power at an inopertune moment, so it will be a new experience.

fegari

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My 500px
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
I do not know what kind of energy the Grip's battery provide but maybe if someone reading this post has the following battery and can comment on the OP's discovery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Canon-LP-E6-EOS-60D-60Da-5D-Mark-III-Digital-LPE6-Battery-Pack-7-4V-2800mAh-/261220655933?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3cd1f6e33d

Seems they have far more charge (2800 mAh) vs the original Canon LP-E6 (1800 mAh) so I would assume more punch => the latest the mentioned "phenomenon" would appear non?

On my side I'm curious to reproduce it. I haven't noticed on my 5DIII so will keep en eye next time

celltech

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
I had it happen before when using non-Canon batteries, even though the "reported" battery level was fine.  Can't say I have it happen with OEM batteries in either the bare camera or with a grip, but I usually am above 50% for a shoot.
Bodies - 5D3, T2i  Primes - 135 f/2 L, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, 40 f/2.8, 35 f/2  Zooms - 70-200 f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 24-104 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8, 17-40 f/4 L

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »
When a battery goes flat it has less power, so it is reasonable to expect things to slow down. To maintain the same speed on less voltage you would need more current, that could give serious problems. Sounds like a safety feature to me. Bigger batteries would mean a heavier camera.

I don't buy that explanation. I mean, if the battery is flat, yes, but 50% is still plenty of power.

I don't say the phenomenon don't exist, because that I can believe. But it being direct affect from the battery level, I wouldn't think so. I've worked plenty on the cell phone designs, and the batteries we have usually work around same characteristics, ~1500-2000 mAh Li-ions. Cell phones are 3.7V, and 5D3 at 7.2V, but that's just because they use 2 cells in series.

Until about <25% of the capacity, the voltage level still stays considerably high, and there's no big voltage dip due to bigger current draws either. And cell phones draw >1A when they get power hungry. I don't know the 5D3 power draw when everything is active (taking photo, DIGIC crunching data as fast as possible, memory cards writing, mirror and shutter going, etc.) but I'd be surprised if the peaks are more than 0.2A (not including the LCD operation, that could take 0.1-0.2A alone). (if someone knows real current draws, please enlighten me).

Assuming that's true, which I don't know, the battery level could go down to <10% and still the voltage dips, caused by the current draw, would be minimal.

I haven't seen the schematics for Canon, but I'd be also really surprised if they don't have a regulator at the input. In my world that would be just poor design. If they do have regulator, it would eliminate the actual battery voltage completely at the camera end, and until battery is really down to <1%, the camera would receive proper voltage/current. Again, if someone knows the design or has the schematics, I'd be happy to learn the details.

I have the 5D3 with grip, and 2 Canon batteries. Occasionally I'm down to ~50% on long day, but I don't remember seeing this phenomenon, then again, I wasn't looking for it. Next time I'll try and see.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:53 PM »
I start loosing frame rate when battery @ quarter left.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:53 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
Can someone confirm how it behaves with AAA-batteries on a grip?

This is strange indeed.

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:30:55 AM »

I don't buy that explanation. I mean, if the battery is flat, yes, but 50% is still plenty of power.

I don't say the phenomenon don't exist, because that I can believe. But it being direct affect from the battery level, I wouldn't think so. I've worked plenty on the cell phone designs, and the batteries we have usually work around same characteristics, ~1500-2000 mAh Li-ions. Cell phones are 3.7V, and 5D3 at 7.2V, but that's just because they use 2 cells in series.

Until about <25% of the capacity, the voltage level still stays considerably high, and there's no big voltage dip due to bigger current draws either. And cell phones draw >1A when they get power hungry. I don't know the 5D3 power draw when everything is active (taking photo, DIGIC crunching data as fast as possible, memory cards writing, mirror and shutter going, etc.) but I'd be surprised if the peaks are more than 0.2A (not including the LCD operation, that could take 0.1-0.2A alone). (if someone knows real current draws, please enlighten me).

Assuming that's true, which I don't know, the battery level could go down to <10% and still the voltage dips, caused by the current draw, would be minimal.

I haven't seen the schematics for Canon, but I'd be also really surprised if they don't have a regulator at the input. In my world that would be just poor design. If they do have regulator, it would eliminate the actual battery voltage completely at the camera end, and until battery is really down to <1%, the camera would receive proper voltage/current. Again, if someone knows the design or has the schematics, I'd be happy to learn the details.

I have the 5D3 with grip, and 2 Canon batteries. Occasionally I'm down to ~50% on long day, but I don't remember seeing this phenomenon, then again, I wasn't looking for it. Next time I'll try and see.

Isn't it funny how when someone is trying to make a point they only partly understand that they come out with a long post. ;D

Maybe you should explain to the Canon engineers why they were wrong to expect this, I'm sure they would benefit from your knowledge. (while your at it you might like to get this format programmers to add a "Sarcasm" emoticon for me)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:30:55 AM »