July 25, 2014, 11:44:14 PM

Author Topic: New AF Technology Coming in July? [CR1]  (Read 27600 times)

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: New AF Technology Coming in July? [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
Pass the salt and fire extinguisher too.

Well, obviously the 5DIII has better AF than the D800 because the 5DIII sells much better than the D800.

Would you like artificial butter flavoring with that popcorn?  ;)
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
d800 nope?

D800 AF is based on D4
please explain what is better in 5dmk3 and how you can make a statement like this

This is the first time I have seen a serious claim that the D800 AF is equal or better than the 5D MkIII AF.

Roger Cicala of lensrentals tested and found that the Canon's phase detection AF is as accurate and consistent as its contrast detection AF, i.e. the standard deviation of MTF values of a series of static shots is the same for both AF systems. This is a remarkable achievement. The D800, 'nope'. It is just not as reliable on phase detection.

And that is with static subjects.

He also says there is a left side AF sensor issue with the D800 that is unresolved, and recommends the camera only be used for centre point AF. I hope THAT isn't 'based on the D4'!

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2013, 03:24:08 AM »
d800 nope?

D800 AF is based on D4
please explain what is better in 5dmk3 and how you can make a statement like this

This is the first time I have seen a serious claim that the D800 AF is equal or better than the 5D MkIII AF.

Roger Cicala of lensrentals tested and found that the Canon's phase detection AF is as accurate and consistent as its contrast detection AF, i.e. the standard deviation of MTF values of a series of static shots is the same for both AF systems. This is a remarkable achievement. The D800, 'nope'. It is just not as reliable on phase detection.

He also says there is a left side AF sensor issue with the D800 that is unresolved, and recommends the camera only be used for centre point AF. I hope THAT isn't 'based on the D4'!

+1 fwiw I haves used the D4 and I can't say anything bad about that AF system, it didn't miss one single shot. This was before I got the 1dx, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I didn't test the D4 like I have used the 1dx, but it simply worked perfect. And the d800 is not even on the same planet.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
d800 nope?

D800 AF is based on D4

well, spend a month to compare them and then return

Why don't you direct that very silly and irrelevant comment to Roger Cicala -- it is he who you are taking issue with (although I seriously cannot see the issue in my post that you are taking issue with. You simply haven't said anything except "I wanna have the last word, boo hoo").  ;D

(space provided here for the very silly last word about how he agrees with Roger Cicala but disagrees with me when I quote Roger! 
\/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  )
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:20:04 PM by tnargs »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »