December 21, 2014, 09:29:18 AM

Author Topic: Stills photographer Doing some video  (Read 4744 times)

dmills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Stills photographer Doing some video
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
Thanks, this is some great advice. Basically, I'm getting my equipment prepped for this right now. I have a suction cup mount for my gopro as well, so I'm going to slap that on the wall and just keep it recording when there are kids in the area. This will give me some wide angle scene setting shots (in theory). I also have my 8-15, which, at 15 is a pretty useful lens, provided I don't pan much (as the panning motion on a fisheye can be a little disconcerting).

Seeing as I don't have ANY stabilization equipment, and just a ball head for my tripod, I was thinking of getting most of my shots from the tripod. Putting the camera on there, finding something interesting, framing it, hitting record, and not moving it. Then, when that action is finished, move the tripod, find something else, rinse and repeat.

I also put together a "string" stabilizer that I can step on to help somewhat stabilize high up and low down shots, but I was thinking that I should probably use the 24-105 for anything handheld since it's the only one with IS (other than the 70-200). Since I'll need to be focusing manually by physically turning the ring on the lens,  and in my handheld tests where I was holding the 5d3 and the 70-200 in one hand while focusing in the other, it didn't seem all that stable, I wondered if I should use that combo solely on the tripod. Any thoughts about that?

Everyone has been really helpful. Thanks so much!

As for advice encouraging me to take it slow, I definitely intend to. In my experience, though the equipment doesn't make the "photographer/videographer/carpenter/etc", there's a reason why the pro "insert profession here" uses that equipment in the first place. Like learning anything new, I want to eliminate variables and focus on skills at the beginning, but the more I play with shooting video, the more I realize that holding the camera with my right hand, focusing by turning the ring with my left and trying to figure out if it's even IN focus without shooting the whole video magnified WHILE trying to keep it stable is freaking hard lol. Getting the footage more stable, and focusing with more accuracy and smoothness, especially with the assistance of the equipment that I already have, is my top priority.

As for things like the slider, If I do end up getting it, I won't be using it in time pressure situations in the beginning, but rather when I have time, an empty building (or a long rehearsal), where I can do a move 100 times, try it out, and if everything sucks, no one will even ask me about that footage. I've shot weddings and other "job" type things enough to know that if you're screwing around with equipment when the client is expecting you to be starting, you've got a PR problem on your hands.

The reason I mentioned the crane at the beginning as that it seemed to have interesting applications for both photo and video. Still, it doesn't fit my budget at the moment, and doesn't address my two immediate needs of "improved stability and focusing accuracy and smoothness" as well as some of the other equipment on my list.

Thanks again for the advice, and keep it coming. You guys have really been helpful, and I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:14:26 PM by dmills »
Photos | 5D3 | 7D2 | GoPro Hero3 | 8-15 | 10-22 | 24 1.4 II | 24 2.8 STM (Pancake) | 24-105 | Sigma 50 1.4 Art | 85 1.2 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II | Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS | x2 III | 600EX-RT x2 + ST-E3 | lighting accessories, umbrellas, etc

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »

felipey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Felipe Yang Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
I would just like to add that I'm also in the same boat. I've done wedding photography but will be doing videography with a crew for the first time this Saturday. These posts have been really useful.
2x 5D Mark IIIs and 7D | 10-22mm, 17-55mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 70-300mm L

www.felipeyang.com

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
...little bit of video for a website that I'm working on. The job will be for a ballet studio...One (or maybe a few) short 30-45 second clips showing the dance studio, and some classrooms, and what it's like...
Two "dancer profiles" featuring interviews, some shots of them warming up and performing, etc. Maybe 1-2 minutes each....I have a somewhat cheapy LED video light as well....I think a budget of $1500 would be about the max I should spend....what, if any of things things are necessary/would help my video look more professional? Is there anything else that's important that I forgot? Is there anything on this list you wouldn't recommend, or would recommend something else?

I do video documentary production using some of this equipment. Comments:

Your stills background is a plus. Stanley Kubrick started as a still photographer, and his skills in composition and lighting helped in cinematography.

Accept the first pieces you do won't be as good as you want. It will be a learning experience.

There are a few simple techniques which can help to set your material apart from humdrum stuff. This by itself won't make it great -- that's up to your artistic ability. However these technical methods (some of which you already know) can inject some polish and pizzazz. They inform the viewer (whether they understand it or not) this wasn't shot by a kid with a camcorder.

(a) Use rack focus where reasonable: http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/jbutler/clips/CSI20090226qq00_10_19qq_MPEG-SC.mp4/view

You don't need a follow focus for this, although it can help. A variation is a "focus reveal" where you fade into sharp focus, often used while a narrator is talking.

(b) In editing, use J-cuts (audio advance cut) and L-cuts (video advance cuts): http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/239/j-cuts-and-l-cuts

(c) Use two-camera shots for interviews. Cut between them in post. Don't use the same framing on each camera.

(d) For interviews make sure you frame correctly, with the top border at top of subject's head, and with "look space" (open space in front of their face). In general main interview camera should be a 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock position. The b-camera can be more offset L/R or high/low, or even be a roving hand-held camera. If hand held you generally want an optically stabilized lens like the 24-105 or similar.

(e) Tip for informal stand-up interviews: get a partner to conceal a wireless lav mic in a clipboard while interviewing subject, and you stay back with the 70-200 f/2.8 at 200mm. Note this is NOT a clandestine interview -- the subject knows you're there and the mic is there. However by keeping the camera out of their "personal space" and the mic not obvious, it produces more natural, conversational results. Shooting at f/2.8 also helps blur out background distractions.

(f) Generally use a wireless lav mic for interviews. A hand-operated shotgun mic on a boom is better in some cases, but takes another person to run it.

(g) Monitor with earphones your main audio. It is much easier to get the audio right then spending hours with  a spectral editor trying to clean it up in post.

(h) Use your GoPro creatively: get some 120 fps shots for slow motion of dancers. GoPro can also take time-lapse stills for building a sequence in Premiere Pro:  Create a time lapse video in Premiere Pro

(i) Get plenty of b-roll shots: close-up of hands lacing up ballerina slippers, close-up of feet walking across floor, high angle shots from rafters looking down at dancers, shots of dancers entering studio, establishing shots of studio exterior, etc.

(j) Use shallow depth of field extensively, where appropriate. E.g, out-of-focus dancers in background, and subject interview in foreground. You can also rack focus from one to the other.

(k) Get a cheap black background and consider shooting interviews against that. This is easy and looks professional. However it must be used cohesively with the other material, otherwise the transition to on-scene interviews and black backround interviews is jolting: How I Create A Totally Black Background

(l) Consider using three-point lighting for formal interviews, or two-point bolstered with natural light. Be cautious about mixed lighting temperatures that are difficult to fix in post: Video Lighting Basics - Three Point Lighting

Other comments and suggestions:

Shoot video in manual mode -- not aperture priority or programmed -- with AUTO ISO on. Make sure shutter speed is 2x the frame rate, e.g, 1/60th for 1080p/30. This follows the "180 degree shutter rule" and avoids odd, strobing effects: http://tylerginter.com/post/11480534977/180-degree-shutter-learn-it-live-it-love-it

If scene is too bright for f/2.8 (because ISO won't go low enough), use a neutral density filter. Don't balance  the exposure by increasing shutter speed.

Practice, practice, practice before the actual shot. DSLRs are complicated to operate for video. You don't want to fiddle around with camera modes, cables and quick-release fittings in the field. This should be second nature before going. E.g, know how to adjust audio volume level on both cameras -- while shooting and before shooting. The 5D3 is particularly tricky because the controls behave differently when shooting video vs in standby.

Before leaving home, compose a rough "shot list" of shots you want. Hand-draw storyboards (stick figures perfectly OK). Don't wait until you're on set to begin the creative process. Of course you can deviate from your shot list as required, but do as much creative brainstorming beforehand. If possible visit the site beforehand to get ideas.

Suggestions about other hardware you mentioned:

(1) Rhino slider: I use a Kessler Stealth slider: http://www.kesslercrane.com/stealth-s/141.htm

Sliders are good but one more thing you have to manage. It's nice to have one that does vertical slides, and has adjustable tension.

(4) Tripod head: I use the Manfrotto 504HD head and 546B tripod. The 502 is probably OK for your purposes.

(5) Atmos Ninja 2: I would not get this; it's a great product but you don't need it for this project and it won't add significant value, yet will inject production complexity. On your limited budget there are other items with greater cost/benefit ratio.

(7) Zacuto Z-Finder: I use the Z-Finder Pro EVF. It's expensive but gives focus peaking, exposure zebras, facilitates low and high angle shots, eyecup adds a 3rd contact point to help stabilize hand-held shots. Also doubles as a small field monitor. It also has built-in adjustable optical diopter. I personally prefer it over a field monitor, although I've used both. http://www.zacuto.com/zfinderevf

Wow, what an informative post.  Thanks so much for taking the time to type this!

I'm also a stills photographer than has started to get sucked into video (thanks ML RAW recording!), this is very helpful stuff for me!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »