December 21, 2014, 12:11:11 AM

Author Topic: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling  (Read 23382 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 08:34:26 AM »
Having worked with quite a few press photographers I'd depute the "most" label for a start.

Second, some cameras port covers are not a secure as others and do get lost, tape can help in those situations.

Mostly, the press (any) photographers that tape are doing it as a fashion statement, that is fine by me, you can do anything you want to your gear, but when I see it I think, there is an impressionable and naive wannabe, because experience has shown me that is normally the case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 08:34:26 AM »

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »
I live in a S___-hole of a city, I still carry my 7d and 70-200 f4, I still carry my 5Diii and 70-200 f2.8....

None of them are taped.....I just use common sense of where/when I go somewhere....I don't avoid places, but if there is a choice between a dark alley or a lit street I choose the safer option...

Where I live, the people who are going to snatch or steal, don't care what you have it's just opportunistic, once they have it they will then decide if it has value...

Commonsense will do more for you, than a roll of gaffers tape...

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
Why are you disguising the camera? Why not just get a simple black t-shirt with "POLICE" written on it in the language of the country? (unless people there like to shoot police)
hahaha
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
Tape is stupid. Would you tape your watch? Your car? Your wallet? No. Exactly.

So most of the press photographers are stupid ? Do ya really think they tape just to act like all the other ones...?

I thought Press photogs often taped so that in situations where lots of photographers are at an event the bright white logos and branding dont catch the flash and create distracting elements within each others photos...?

That's actually the main purpose  ;) .
That's a matter of courtesy and civility vis-a-vis other photographers.

Commonsense will do more for you, than a roll of gaffers tape...
Definitely.
Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
You can do whatever you want, there will always be a theft somewhere! ;)

5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
You can do whatever you want, there will always be a theft somewhere! ;)

Yeah, but that wouldn't have happened if the photographer had gaffer taped the tripod to a rock.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

androiduk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
When I get my red ring lens in a few months I might hit the ring with a black sharpie and instead of tape on the body, how about some thick rubber bands here and there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
If your gear has value beyond being a tool, why are you taking it to a place where it is endangered? And why are you going there?

To make pictures which would not be available elsewhere. But obviously! Duh!
And he has full rights to take precautions.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

So most of the press photographers are stupid ? Do ya really think they tape just to act like all the other ones...?

I thought Press photogs often taped so that in situations where lots of photographers are at an event the bright white logos and branding dont catch the flash and create distracting elements within each others photos...?

That's actually the main purpose  ;) .

What a load of crap. When press photographers were using silver coloured cameras it wasn't the done thing and they are much more reflective than today's black cameras with a touch of white paint!

Look, as far as I can recollect, taping was started by war photographers where a shiny reflective surface could, literally, get you killed. Snipers loved to aim just below a shiny spot because it used to be where cap badges were.

Press photographers do not need to tape their cameras for fear of getting shot (or reflections), their primary reason for doing it is looks, just like faded jackets and jeans are worth more to some people than new ones. It is just a "hey look at me I have been around the block so I am cool" pretentious nonsense.

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
all good advice and ideas and suggestions.  But mostly useless in my opinion.  If you are going to a dangerous place, have insurance, and be prepared to lose your stuff.
But like some others have mentioned, if it's big and has a shiny screen on the back be prepared to let it go.  Some places I have been to, they will take your p&s.
In my experience, carry your camera in an old beat up backpack, bring one lens, batteries and cards. A pack with easy in and out access is ideal.  Frame the shot in your mind, consider all settings, pull out the camera, set it up, take the shot, stuff the camera in the bag and walk away.
I have had to run from thugs until I found cops.  They turned away as soon as I got next to the cops.  Closest call I've had.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

And then covered anything with Canon, the Mark III emblem, etc.  For added magic, I put a crappy tan masking tape on top of that in a few places.  And then I decided Kai Wong needed to make an appearance.

The final product is attached.  Fun.

The ugliest 5D3 ever?  You decide.

- A

You were doing fine right up to the point where you added the colorful stuff.  The goal is stealth; adding bright colors is rather counterproductive.  In other words, loose the stamps and pictures and stick with black

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »
All you have to do is bring a counterfeit D800.  When the theives see your 1Dx and D800, they'll quickly steal the D800 due to its higher DR and RAW files, and will be satisfied so much that they'll concede your 1Dx.  Simple.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
All you have to do is bring a counterfeit D800.  When the theives see your 1Dx and D800, they'll quickly steal the D800 due to its higher DR and RAW files, and will be satisfied so much that they'll concede your 1Dx.  Simple.

Hahaha....yesterday I was gonna post almost the same exact thought ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »

Hahaha....yesterday I was gonna post almost the same exact thought ;D

;) ;D ::)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »

Until this post I had rated privatebydesigns posts as being the most correct
but I think you just won the arguement on all sides with this!
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »