September 30, 2014, 03:00:53 PM

Author Topic: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling  (Read 21713 times)

mps

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:26 AM »
In this day and age, it's unfortunate that doing what you love can sometimes put you at a greater risk. It's never been truer for me when out for street photography. I'd have to completely agree with PBD, gaffing the hell out of your camera draws much attention. Walking with a bit of confidence and others is far more effective. There is only one true protective measure I can take. While I don't carry while traveling abroad, I do here in California... especially at night on the street. I do have a CWP for a few different counties... most notably I always carry in San Francisco and Oakland. I also carry when in the back country while hiking. I also always travel with my brother and a friend or two when in rather sketchy areas, they carry also. We steer clear of trouble by keep situationally aware and that really is the first line of defense. The last is covered by Springfield. I'd put it under the title of have it but hope to never need it.

yeah, carrying a gun makes things alot safer. i guess this is what makes americas murderrate so low, the easy access to guns.... *facepalm*

safest way to travel? be confident, be open minded, dont worry too much and BE NICE! carrying a gun - well, thats not a way to show you're a nice guy imo..... makes you more a threat - and what happenes to threats? exactly.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:26 AM »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
Maybe this is silly, but why not just buy insurance and be careful where you leave your stuff rather than gooping it up will all of this sticky junk? :)

chilledXpress

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
In this day and age, it's unfortunate that doing what you love can sometimes put you at a greater risk. It's never been truer for me when out for street photography. I'd have to completely agree with PBD, gaffing the hell out of your camera draws much attention. Walking with a bit of confidence and others is far more effective. There is only one true protective measure I can take. While I don't carry while traveling abroad, I do here in California... especially at night on the street. I do have a CWP for a few different counties... most notably I always carry in San Francisco and Oakland. I also carry when in the back country while hiking. I also always travel with my brother and a friend or two when in rather sketchy areas, they carry also. We steer clear of trouble by keep situationally aware and that really is the first line of defense. The last is covered by Springfield. I'd put it under the title of have it but hope to never need it.

yeah, carrying a gun makes things alot safer. i guess this is what makes americas murderrate so low, the easy access to guns.... *facepalm*

safest way to travel? be confident, be open minded, dont worry too much and BE NICE! carrying a gun - well, thats not a way to show you're a nice guy imo..... makes you more a threat - and what happenes to threats? exactly.....

I guess you don't really understand the concept of a CWP. A CWP holder are not the ones out there you need to be worried about, they don't show a gun everywhere...that's the whole point, they are the law abiding citizens. My brother is a cop and I used to be one, so my understanding of this may be a little different than yours. The murderrate [sic] has little to do with the people who don't follow the law. There are many laws on the books keeping guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them and that has stopped no one.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
Hi folks.
It is not guns that kill people or even bullets, it is people that kill people.
Also bear in mind that there are no shootings in the UK as most guns are illegal and you have to have a bloody good reason to own the legal ones! ;D
Oops forgot the illegal guns, yes the ones most often used to kill here in the UK and probably most other places are illegally held!

Cheers Graham.

I guess you don't really understand the concept of a CWP. A CWP holder are not the ones out there you need to be worried about, they don't show a gun everywhere...that's the whole point, they are the law abiding citizens. My brother is a cop and I used to be one, so my understanding of this may be a little different than yours. The murderrate [sic] has little to do with the people who don't follow the law. There are many laws on the books keeping guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them and that has stopped no one.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
That's a shame.
I don't want to involve that beloved forum in this worldwide debate but I wanted to share me displeasure by reading this post.

Having a gun while hiking in a wild environment has no relation with carrying a gun in a populated place.
So, this is it, you'd prefer to kill rather than be robbed ? To KILL ? To threaten with a GUN ? For a CAMERA !?
I just can't believe what I'm reading.... By carrying that gun you assume that you're ready to kill someone and you're comfortable with that idea ?

America has earned a bad reputation around the world and, as i can read it, it won't change anytime soon...
Reputation is based on petty crime, you know it. Whenever a politician discuss (abroad) about personal guns, you can be sure that the USA are going to be mentioned and it is never in a positive way... Remember Trayvon Martin ? I know (hope) it's been a trauma for you but that's the best exemple of stereotype that travel all around the world and that people retain for a lifetime....
All of you, fighting for being allowed to carry a death-instrument to "defend" yourselves are responsible of that stereotype.

There are illegal guns everywhere. But when everyone has his own...how can you imagine it's a better situation....?
I know this a very tricky debate 'cause we (most foreigners) have a completely opposite culture than you. But i consider that statistics are clear...
Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »
My feeling is that the best way is insurance and being willing to let it go.  As far as I know, some home insurance policy covers being robbed while travelling (at least in the home country).

If I was travelling with a gun, I'd make sure I would bring a good camera so I could shoot anybody trying to steal my gun...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:02:13 PM by IMG_0001 »
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »

There's shooting at 9mm and then there's shooting WITH a 9mm! I think you've got yours mixed up mate!

Pepper spray would be just as effective (not that I condone that either) but there are other non lethal ways to protect yourself and your gear. Learn some Kung fu or something.

Also why are people walking about with $3000 equipment in these dodgy areas and crack dens? What are you taking pictures of that are so important? Are you guys on assignment from the government or something? If I had to I'd use my EOS M. If it gets stolen, meh no big deal.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
When I went on my Euro Trip early this year I gaffed my equipment. No one gave a second thought about my gear but many did notice the camera buff with the 70-200L II + 5D2 in the same tour group. :P I think its worth gaffing your gear an extra bit of stealth. Here was the thread then.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,15224.30.html

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
When I went on my Euro Trip early this year I gaffed my equipment. No one gave a second thought about my gear but many did notice the camera buff with the 70-200L II + 5D2 in the same tour group. :P I think its worth gaffing your gear an extra bit of stealth. Here was the thread then.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,15224.30.html

One note from having done exactly what you've done is that the gaffer came off perfectly cleanly from the main body surface of my 5D3, logo, bottom, etc., it left very minor sticky residue on the grippy textured surfaces.  It did come off without harsh chemicals and looks as new, it but was a bit of a pain.

But I also gaffered up my camera strap as well to cheapen the look, and the rubbery side of the strap that sticks to your neck was nearly ruined by the gaffer -- it came off like warm chewing gum and left a ton behind. I needed a toothbrush and a comical amount of Goo Gone to save it.

So my advice would be to surgically cover badges, red rings and product identifiers like some have shown, but under no circumstances should you go crazy with the gaffer to make the camera look like it's altogether broken, has a busted corner, etc.

- A

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »

So someone knifes you in the back when you are not looking, kills you, takes the gun, and leaves the camera behind......  guess it works, the camera is safe....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
Article on stolen camera gear.....

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/17/lenstag-infographic-breaks-gear-stolen-gear-gets-stolen/

And by the way, Christmas is the peak for stealing things from vehicles....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:18:15 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
Article on stolen camera gear.....

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/17/lenstag-infographic-breaks-gear-stolen-gear-gets-stolen/

And by the way, Christmas is the peak for stealing things from vehicles....

I didnt know about lenstag. Need to check that out. Thanks for sharing this!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
America and guns :'(
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
That's a shame.
I don't want to involve that beloved forum in this worldwide debate but I wanted to share me displeasure by reading this post.

Having a gun while hiking in a wild environment has no relation with carrying a gun in a populated place.
So, this is it, you'd prefer to kill rather than be robbed ? To KILL ? To threaten with a GUN ? For a CAMERA !?
I just can't believe what I'm reading.... By carrying that gun you assume that you're ready to kill someone and you're comfortable with that idea ?

America has earned a bad reputation around the world and, as i can read it, it won't change anytime soon...
Reputation is based on petty crime, you know it. Whenever a politician discuss (abroad) about personal guns, you can be sure that the USA are going to be mentioned and it is never in a positive way... Remember Trayvon Martin ? I know (hope) it's been a trauma for you but that's the best exemple of stereotype that travel all around the world and that people retain for a lifetime....
All of you, fighting for being allowed to carry a death-instrument to "defend" yourselves are responsible of that stereotype.

There are illegal guns everywhere. But when everyone has his own...how can you imagine it's a better situation....?
I know this a very tricky debate 'cause we (most foreigners) have a completely opposite culture than you. But i consider that statistics are clear...

Hi, I'm an American. I've lived most of my adult life in NYC/ Brooklyn. I've never touched a gun or even been in a room with one. So let's not start grouping all "Americans" together.  ::)
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
Can we please move away from this debate?

I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with Lenstag?  This looks like  a reasonable thing but I have some questions:

-If this is "free" who pays for their service (there's got to be some overhead just maintaining the database / website)?
-As one who has been the victim of identity theft, I am very reluctant to put ANY information into the cloud.  I wonder if someone, for example,  could access theses serial numbers and claim their lens was stolen (not the real owner who posted it into Lenstag) or use this information for some other purpose that I am not devious enough to figure out?

My insurer has serial numbers and purchase prices already.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »