October 25, 2014, 09:58:52 PM

Author Topic: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling  (Read 22139 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »

Having a gun while hiking in a wild environment has no relation with carrying a gun in a populated place.
So, this is it, you'd prefer to kill rather than be robbed ? To KILL ? To threaten with a GUN ? For a CAMERA !?
I just can't believe what I'm reading.... By carrying that gun you assume that you're ready to kill someone and you're comfortable with that idea ?

Quick answer, yes.

Longer answer, if they hadn't been doing something criminal like that, they'd be in no danger of getting shot by someone defending themselves. If someone is robbing me, I default to thinking I'm in fear also of my life, and given the opportunity, sure...shoot them.
And you are correct, if you carry a gun, you don't shoot to wound or brandish to scare someone, you shoot to kill. If you don't have that mindset, then, you should not carry, and you are more of a danger with gun than without in that case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
In this day and age, it's unfortunate that doing what you love can sometimes put you at a greater risk. It's never been truer for me when out for street photography. I'd have to completely agree with PBD, gaffing the hell out of your camera draws much attention. Walking with a bit of confidence and others is far more effective. There is only one true protective measure I can take. While I don't carry while traveling abroad, I do here in California... especially at night on the street. I do have a CWP for a few different counties... most notably I always carry in San Francisco and Oakland. I also carry when in the back country while hiking. I also always travel with my brother and a friend or two when in rather sketchy areas, they carry also. We steer clear of trouble by keep situationally aware and that really is the first line of defense. The last is covered by Springfield. I'd put it under the title of have it but hope to never need it.

I've walked those places at night and never felt the need to carry. No, I'm not a big guy, I just don't take fear with me when I walk out the door, only common sense.

I don't understand why you think you need to carry when in the back country while hiking because if you need it, then you've made a mistake. Black bears (about the only thing that will come close enough to you to be a threat) are easily frightened off without a gun but you need to have courage to do that.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
this thread is hopelessly off topic.  can it please get locked?
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
So no experience with Lenstag, anyone?
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »