August 23, 2014, 01:49:16 PM

Author Topic: Digitalrev speculates on D7100 vs. 7D2  (Read 14759 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Digitalrev speculates on D7100 vs. 7D2
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:10 AM »

No hard references that I can see, but here is an amusing look into the 7D2's possible future:

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/nikon-d7100-vs-canon-eos/ODkzMjU3Mzc_A

I still am firmly in the camp that the 7D2 is (a) absolutely going to be aimed at pros (for birders, sports guys, etc.) and (b) is absolutely going to cost more than the 6D.  I also am strongly leaning towards (though not prepared to guarantee) that the great 1Dx/5D3 AF system is coming to the 7D2, and Digitalrev would seem to agree.  Then again, my postings on this forum may be the basis of DR's 'rumors'.   :P

But it is all speculation at this point.  Here's the latest dollop on our collective plates.

- A

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
Re: Digitalrev speculates on D7100 vs. 7D2
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »
I would guess the 7D II would be priced close to the 6D....  so you have to choose between FF or features/speed. if you want both you need a 1DX, which is the pro camera.

Only time will tell...  I'm just glad a got me a 5D mkiii and am not still waiting for this mythical beast!
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:06:05 AM »
If the 7D MKII will have a crop sensor, I do not understand how the camera will have as good of high ISO performance as the full frame 5D MKIII. 

Does anyone think the speculation of the 7D MKII high ISO performance is based on the in camera jpeg processing, or are they actually talking about the RAW files?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:24:15 AM by Gino »
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT 
Nikon D600 | 16-35 f/4G ED VR | 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
I would expect high ISO raw files to be cleaner than the 7D, but not near 5D3 levels -- maybe cut the difference in half.

But, I would agree that the advertised high ISO improvement would bw with the JPEG processing.  If they simply replaced the two DIGIC 4's with one or two DIGIC 5+ processors, we should see a full stop improvement in cleaner JPEG processing.

Ultimately, I'm hoping the wait has been for a reason and will be worthwhile.  Canon must know that 7D users want cleaner high ISO images more than a higher megapixel sensor or even faster FPS.  So I'm optimistice that they have been spending this time developing a new sensor.

Still, I went for the 5D3 a few months ago and I'm waiting for another Canon refurb sale to pick up a second body (hopefully, this fall).  Admittedly, I don't want the 7D2 to come close to matching the 5D3 high ISO IQ.  If I invest in the second 5D3 body, I don't want to be tempted into investing in a 7D2 body next year. 

Which could be another reason why Canon is waiting until next year for the introduction.  If the 7D2 is close to the 5D3 in IQ, give the 5D3 two years of sales, then temp 5D3 owners with a cheaper alternative to the 1Dx.  I won't go back to crop unless the IQ improves significantly -- regardles of the FPS.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
If the 7D MKII will have a crop sensor, I do not understand how the camera will have as good of high ISO performance as the full frame 5D MKIII. 

Does anyone think the speculation of the 7D MKII high ISO performance is based on the in camera jpeg processing, or are they actually talking about the RAW files?

Thanks

+1. I doubt they talking about RAW.

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
I still am firmly in the camp that the 7D2 is (a) absolutely going to be aimed at pros (for birders, sports guys, etc.) and (b) is absolutely going to cost more than the 6D.  I also am strongly leaning towards (though not prepared to guarantee) that the great 1Dx/5D3 AF system is coming to the 7D2, and Digitalrev would seem to agree.  Then again, my postings on this forum may be the basis of DR's 'rumors'.   :P

But it is all speculation at this point.  Here's the latest dollop on our collective plates.

- A
I agree on a & b, and am very hopeful on the AF.

As for the high ISO/low light performance, I'm thinking/hoping Canon has something up their sleeve.

Consider:
  • Canon is rumored to be working on a "Big Megapixel" FF camera, that is presumed to be around 46 MP...
  • Canon couldn't/wouldn't release a FF camera that had "only" 7D high ISO/low light performance, "Big MP" or not...
  • The pixel density of an 18MP APS-C sensor works out to be almost exactly the pixel density needed to cram 46MP onto a FF sensor...

It would seem to me that, if Canon can make the "Big MP" FF camera work well in low light at high iSO, it's a no brainer to do the same thing for a 7DII by cropping the sensor & selling many more cameras. And by "work well in low light", I don't necessarily mean to the same level of a 1DX or 5DIII, but getting there...

Five or six years back, wouldn't it have been "impossible" for the 7D to offer the high ISO/low light performance that it does today? All we can be sure of is that the technology will keep getting better...
Canon 7D

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
I still am firmly in the camp that the 7D2 is (a) absolutely going to be aimed at pros (for birders, sports guys, etc.) and (b) is absolutely going to cost more than the 6D.

I'm in your same camp!  ;)

But I don't understand why they name the Digic V, if the 7D2 is going to be a 2014 cam it'll have Digic VI for sure. And a crazy droolworthy 12-14 fps, hopefully  :P, for merely $ 2.5K  :o , take it or leave it! Or, take the 70D...

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »

Thanks

That will never happen.  WHY? - You can't hold 1 gallon of water in 1/2 gallon bucket.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »

Thanks
+1

That will never happen.  WHY? - You can't hold 1 gallon of water in 1/2 gallon bucket.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »

Thanks

+1. I doubt they talking about RAW.

if canon have meant RAW  every time they talk about increased dynamic range  we would  have  25 stops of DR today and not 11,5.
Here is Canons sensor development figures during the years from DXO and compared to Sony, Nikon, (Toshiba is not  represented with the sensor in 7100 ) . Canon blue, Nikon  red. Canon has been stagnant since late 2004

Ankor, I have to ask. What, exactly, is your goal with the continual barrage of Canon hate and negativity about prospective Canon cameras? You've been here for over a year, originally as Mikael, now as Ankorwatt (I presume for as long as that account is not banned), and you are STILL spouting the same old bullhonkey. So I ask...WHY?

You seem to be trying to prove to everyone here that, based on past technology, Canon is therefor INCAPABLE of producing a good camera. You seem to be trying to prove to everyone here that, based on past technology, Canon will never produce a comparable product to any other brand, ever again, period...

Simple fact of the matter is, one, you'll never convince anyone; two, you are fundamentally incorrect that Canon (or any company, for that matter) cannot muster up their competitive spirit, resolve their technological inferiorities, and produce competitive or superior products in the future.

Have you ever heard of the saying: Prior performance is in no way a prediction of future performance?

You cannot come in to a CANON forum dedicated to RUMORS and SPECULATION, continually dash everyone's HOPES and beat down their speculative fun and rumormongering, and expect to get even one MINUTE FRACTION OF AN OUNCE of respect in return. Your a loathsome freaking disease on these forums. You need to either SHUT UP about Canon inferiority, contribute positively to the topics at hand, or just plain LEAVE. There is no longer any reason to continue spouting your same old trollish CRAP all over the place. The horse is dead. It's not only dead, it's not only beaten to a pulp...there is no longer even one cell left of the frackin horse to beat anymore! It's one thing to correct basic facts when someone gets it wrong, it is another to endlessly parade your tired old tirade of the same old canon hate in every single thread that crops up! It's SO freaking OLD, really freaking ANNOYING, and not convincing ANYONE. Please...go away!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »

The 5DIII is made on Canon's current CMOS manufacturing process - which is quite ancient and is well overdue for replacement.

The hope is that the 7DII sensor will be manufactured on a new manufacturing process.

If that's the case, the 7DII sensor will likely perform the same (or even better) than the 5DIII sensor.
Of course Canon will eventually make FF sensors on the new manufacturing process and FF will again pull ahead in performance.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
if the specs are true i'd be interested if IQ was as good as a 1Dmk4

however I would prefer a CF and Sd card slot rather than 2 SD
also IQ from a 24MP 1.6 crop sensor is gonna be the key to this being good or not
there is a lot of improving to be done over the current 18MP line and with a 33% jump in pixels
not sure how they are gonna get on top of the noise issues.
APS-H Fanboy

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
I thought we could  discuss the pros and cons of our canon cameras.
If a chart explains how the  sensor development has been the past 10 years , is that not  interesting to know?
We have  different views on what might be interesting or not and both are we using Canon.

If the chart the only factor that Canon develops to?  Is DxO the absolute truth in IQ and what sells in the marketplace?  Both Canon and Nikon make trade offs when developing a new camera (or camera line).  They have their reasons, which us mare (spelling?) mortals will never know.  If you great to part of their marketing team, but I don't foresee that in my future.

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
IMO the 7DII will never make it to market.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

The 5DIII is made on Canon's current CMOS manufacturing process - which is quite ancient and is well overdue for replacement.

The hope is that the 7DII sensor will be manufactured on a new manufacturing process.

If that's the case, the 7DII sensor will likely perform the same (or even better) than the 5DIII sensor.
Of course Canon will eventually make FF sensors on the new manufacturing process and FF will again pull ahead in performance.

If that is the case, what do you think happen to current 5D III? You think Canon going to let that happen?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II