April 24, 2014, 01:06:55 PM

Author Topic: Digitalrev speculates on D7100 vs. 7D2  (Read 12571 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Digitalrev speculates on D7100 vs. 7D2
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
as long as we're speculating...

I expect 2014 will be all about moving the MP count.   If Canon produces a superior sensor in 2014 I would expect them to figure out a way to hide its ISO and DR capabillties with the increased pixel density (or even other mfg things) so that the 2014 bodies will not steal any revenue from the 5D3 and 1DX.  that means we're not likely to see a 7D2 with better IQ or AF than the 5D3 or with a fps approaching the 1DX.  We will see high MP bodies that will see alot of tripod use: If Neuro is right one might be a 6D-like body.  I'd expect the other to be a 1 series.  But in any case I can't imagine 2014 will see any new FF sports or wedding/event bodies.   

When  the 5D3 and 1DX have run their revenue course, Canon will introduce sensor tweeks and show another "completely new sensor" which will be an incremental improvement over the 2014 bodies.  the 5D4 and 1DX mark II will then set new records for medium pixel count, speed, ISO, DR, AF performance etc in 2015 or 2016.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
The 7DII is going to be an evolution of a near perfect camera.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
24 MP/10fps/2x SD/SDHC/SDXC

That just doesn't sound quite right to me but if it is then it must surely signal the end of CF cards in all future EOS DSLRs?

ishdakuteb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
I thought we could  discuss the pros and cons of our canon cameras.
If a chart explains how the  sensor development has been the past 10 years , is that not  interesting to know?
We have  different views on what might be interesting or not and both are we using Canon.

well.. the chart explains whatever in the past 10 years, but comparing your photography techiques that you have earned for more than 30 years but shooting like CRAP... would i believe WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING IN HERE, THIS FORUM? NO...  in addition, changing gears is not a good choice... improving techniques and skills are good choices...

your more than 30 years of techniques to me is nothing... to me... after 6 months of holding a camera, i am shooting much much better than you from composition to exposure...

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

Yes,  one that won't matter!   :D

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »

Yes,  one that won't matter!   :D

To many people.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
oh boy alot of hopes and dreams riding on the 7D2
better stock up on tissues people cause there will be plenty of tears...
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
Im still of the opinion that they should just take the 1DX and stick a crop sensor in there instead of a Full Frame and then sell that as a 7D2.

Then what will they complain about? it's too big?

It can be the pinnacle of Crop cameras and at the same time could mean the xxD range actually could get some relevance again, its currently a small jump from Rebel/SL1 to xxD and then a large jump to the current 7D in terms of specs, even given its age.

Hopefully Canon go all out this time.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
as long as we're speculating...

I expect 2014 will be all about moving the MP count.   If Canon produces a superior sensor in 2014 I would expect them to figure out a way to hide its ISO and DR capabillties with the increased pixel density (or even other mfg things) so that the 2014 bodies will not steal any revenue from the 5D3 and 1DX.  that means we're not likely to see a 7D2 with better IQ or AF than the 5D3 or with a fps approaching the 1DX.  We will see high MP bodies that will see alot of tripod use: If Neuro is right one might be a 6D-like body.  I'd expect the other to be a 1 series.  But in any case I can't imagine 2014 will see any new FF sports or wedding/event bodies.   

When  the 5D3 and 1DX have run their revenue course, Canon will introduce sensor tweeks and show another "completely new sensor" which will be an incremental improvement over the 2014 bodies.  the 5D4 and 1DX mark II will then set new records for medium pixel count, speed, ISO, DR, AF performance etc in 2015 or 2016.

+1, that is pretty much how I see things also. Actually I am putting money back for the 1DX II right now. Was going to get the 1DX, when the next model was announced but think the 1DX II will be a good birding camera for me.  I personally do not see a serious threat to the Mark IV that I have now ( as a birder only ). And do not want a 1DX. But the new 2015-2016 1D series FF will probably be to my liking with higher MP count. Wait and see now. And enjoy shooting with what I have.
For me only! There is nothing out there Canon makes I want ( for birding ). So I am in a holding pattern.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:40:21 PM by garyknrd »
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
If the 7D MKII will have a crop sensor, I do not understand how the camera will have as good of high ISO performance as the full frame 5D MKIII. 

The 5DIII is made on Canon's current CMOS manufacturing process - which is quite ancient and is well overdue for replacement.

The hope is that the 7DII sensor will be manufactured on a new manufacturing process.

If that's the case, the 7DII sensor will likely perform the same (or even better) than the 5DIII sensor.
Of course Canon will eventually make FF sensors on the new manufacturing process and FF will again pull ahead in performance.

If that is the case, what do you think happen to current 5D III? You think Canon going to let that happen?

A new technology has to be introduced somewhere. Since sales of lower end cameras far exceed that of higher end cameras, it would make sense that a new technology gets introduced into the lower end cameras first.... like the 6D which has GPS, touchscreen, and a lower light central focus point than the 5D3...

It is almost certain that this new technology will outperform the old process.... by how much remains to be seen... perhaps even approaching the sensitivity of the 5D3. It is also almost certain that this new camera will outperform the 5D3 live-view focus....

What does this mean for the 5D3? Nothing! People who want FF are not going to trade in a 5D3 for a crop camera, just like those who wish a crop camera are not going to go FF.... there is a market for both. What it does mean is that a 5D4 will probably use this new technology and you can expect the 5D4 to be better than the 5D3 like a 7D2 outperforms a 7D.
The best camera is the one in your hands

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
oh boy alot of hopes and dreams riding on the 7D2
better stock up on tissues people cause there will be plenty of tears...

maybe so.  it looks like we can expect a nice feature list, but as for the sensor and native IQ I personally expect only a stop or so of improvement, in native ISO performance.  As for fps, I personally don't think Canon would allow the 7D2 to match the 1DX in fps, but 10 is plausible, to be sure. 

oh, and for those speculating on the price, Canon did say (if memory serves)  that it would be a mid-range body or some similar expression.  do the math:  half way between rebel and 1DX comes in above the 6D... So it does look like Canon will be pushing the crop envelope. 

As for the sensor, lets assume "new process".  The 7D2 implimentation will be at the bleeding edge, i.e. technology at its infancy.  Sure, a stop of improvement is plausible, over the 7D, perhaps even with an increase in pixel count, but it will still be demonstrably inferior to the 5D3 and 1DX in terms of ISO and noise.  Where is the evidence to the contrary?  It will be due to mfg or imposed limitations because Canon isn't going to let a  crop body outrun a current FF body in the area of DR, noise, and ISO.  just an opinion of course.  They have 1DX and 5D3 revenue to protect, after all and I don't think these bodies will get refreshed until 2015 at the soonest.  I mean I hope a 5D4 comes next year, but that really seems unlikely, as in ridiculously implausible. 

So on the "good" side  I'd say we can expect the 7D2 to produce slightly better IQ in distance limited situations, compared to a cropped 5D3, due to "more pixels on the duck".  This will restore the credibility of the crop body for budget birders and for the 2nd body.   It will have an awesome jpg engine.   On the "tears" side I think those expecting the 7D2 IQ/Noise/ISO performace to rival that of the 5D3 will be shedding the most tears.  initially, the press release will make it sound that good, but when folks discover that the improvement lies in the jpg engine and not native RAW performance, they will be dissapointed.

on edit: what isn't included in the avove is market pressure to lead in the crop space.  I don't know how that will influence the 7D2, but it will be really fascinating to see if we have a show much like the 5D3/D800
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:44:04 PM by dlleno »

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
I thought we could  discuss the pros and cons of our canon cameras.
If a chart explains how the  sensor development has been the past 10 years , is that not  interesting to know?
We have  different views on what might be interesting or not and both are we using Canon.

If the chart the only factor that Canon develops to?  Is DxO the absolute truth in IQ and what sells in the marketplace?  Both Canon and Nikon make trade offs when developing a new camera (or camera line).  They have their reasons, which us mare (spelling?) mortals will never know.  If you great to part of their marketing team, but I don't foresee that in my future.

Plus, there is a lot more to a camera than just a sensor. There is the glass, the user interface and controls layout, the AF system, etc etc etc. It is very misleading to focus on just one aspect when it is the interactions of complex systems and differing needs that makes a camera good or bad for each user.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »
If the 7D MKII will have a crop sensor, I do not understand how the camera will have as good of high ISO performance as the full frame 5D MKIII. 

The 5DIII is made on Canon's current CMOS manufacturing process - which is quite ancient and is well overdue for replacement.

The hope is that the 7DII sensor will be manufactured on a new manufacturing process.

If that's the case, the 7DII sensor will likely perform the same (or even better) than the 5DIII sensor.
Of course Canon will eventually make FF sensors on the new manufacturing process and FF will again pull ahead in performance.

If that is the case, what do you think happen to current 5D III? You think Canon going to let that happen?

A new technology has to be introduced somewhere. Since sales of lower end cameras far exceed that of higher end cameras, it would make sense that a new technology gets introduced into the lower end cameras first.... like the 6D which has GPS, touchscreen, and a lower light central focus point than the 5D3...

It is almost certain that this new technology will outperform the old process.... by how much remains to be seen... perhaps even approaching the sensitivity of the 5D3. It is also almost certain that this new camera will outperform the 5D3 live-view focus....

What does this mean for the 5D3? Nothing! People who want FF are not going to trade in a 5D3 for a crop camera, just like those who wish a crop camera are not going to go FF.... there is a market for both. What it does mean is that a 5D4 will probably use this new technology and you can expect the 5D4 to be better than the 5D3 like a 7D2 outperforms a 7D.

Keep in mind 7D was designed for speed, not so much high ISO. I can see 7D II might have 61pts AF like 5D III and an increase in frame rate(maybe 10-fps). BUT NOT IN HIGH ISO or LOW LIGHT like 5D III, regardless what the new sensor might be.

Canon will not put 7D II in near 5D III  in term of high ISO/LOW LIGHT. 5D III is only 1yr old plus, it still have another 3-4yrs more before we seeing any rumors 5D 4.

Keep in mind, the original debate was high ISO - not DR or others features etc....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:06:54 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »
What does this mean for the 5D3? Nothing! People who want FF are not going to trade in a 5D3 for a crop camera ....

Exactly.

Also, despite some of the rumors here, I don't think the 7DII will get the 61-point AF system of the 5D3/1DX.
So, the AF system will be another differentiation from the 5DIII.

Btw, for the 7DII AF system I'm expecting either a beefed-up version of the current 19-point AF (e.g. with better sensitivity to low light) or a maybe new AF system, which would still be a step below Canon's pro AF system.

But we are definitely not getting Canon's pro AF system in a $2K camera. That's for sure.
You know Canon  8).

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »
Keep in mind 7D was designed for speed, not so much high ISO. I can see 7D II might have 61pts AF like 5D III and an increase in frame rate(maybe 10-fps). BUT NOT IN HIGH ISO or LOW LIGHT like 5D III, regardless what the new sensor might be.

Just the opposite, IMO.
It's much more likely that we'll see a big step up in image quality than a big step in features.
See my previous post.

Canon will not put 7D II in near 5D III  in term of high ISO/LOW LIGHT. 5D III is only 1yr old plus, it still have another 3-4yrs more before we seeing any rumors 5D 4.

I disagree.

The 5DIII needs to differentiate itself much better from both the 6D and the 7DII.
And the only way it can do that is by getting a high-quality ~30MP sensor.

So, I'm actually expecting that the 5DIII will get a replacement sooner than many expect.
Maybe as early as the spring of 2015.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »