April 20, 2014, 10:52:50 AM

Author Topic: LP-E6's dropping like flies.  (Read 7832 times)

paul13walnut5

LP-E6's dropping like flies.
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
Having Biiiiiig problems with my 7D.

Picked it up the other day to use and it wasn't communication with the grip.

Tried it off battery only and seemed fine.

Picked up again yesterday, dead.

Only works with third party LP-E6.  Replaced internal CR1616.  Tried to charge one of my genuine LP-E6's and the charger just rapidly flashes constantly.  2nd LP-E6 goes straight to green light.

Tried the other one on camera and it worked for a while then bricked.  During that time the camera was giving me info on battery status (both around 95% charged, 2 status bars)

Never had lithium ion batteries fail on me before, and to fail at same time..

Any ideas?

canon rumors FORUM

LP-E6's dropping like flies.
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: LP-E6's dropping like flies.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
There are electronics in the battery which shut it down when drained.  If you have a bad charger, it can zap the electronics in the battery and produce what you described.

Of course, it can be something else, like a counterfeit battery.  There have even been legitimate dealers reportedly selling them in Europe and England.

You might try buying a cheap third party battery to see if it also fails, that would point to a charger or a grip causing the issue.

Finally, it can just be Mr Murphy pulling his old tricks.

pierlux

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
No idea, sorry, never came across such behavior. Just out of curiosity, a few questions:

1. Did you buy all your LP-E6 at the same time? I mean, are they all the same age?

2. Do you remember their "battery info" history? how many green/red bars and when? My ones, all bought at different times, went from 3 green bars to 2 green bars after about 1 1/2 years, then 1 red bar after 3 years. Now they're all 1 red bar, but still perform well. But I don't do video and don't use live view so much, live view and video stress them a lot more...

3. Did you ever run them empty? Or, do you often charge them when they are nearly empty (say, below 10%)?

Your post made me feel a bit anxious... LP-E6 were first introduced with the 5D2, it may be that in a few months we will begin to notice an hecatomb of them, who knows...

I don't have third party LP-E6 compatible batts because I prefer to use 6 AA Ni-MH Eneloop, a cheaper but valid alternative to compatible third party Li-ion batts, as an emergency power source since I already have lots of them for my Speedlites and I'm quite satisfied as far as performance is concerned.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
2 genuine canon batteries (one came with camera)
1 thrid party, calumet, the only one which is still working.

Battery condition was 2 green squares, and charged to at least 90%

Bought the two failed batteries within a month, as said one came with camera.

I use them for video and so fairly often they run to the icon flashes then I change and charge.  Been fine up until now and it's curious that both fail at exactly the same time.

Only change I can think of is that I loaded on the x-video settings via the canon software last week.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »
Try with a different camera.
Same with or without the grip.
A different charger.
(like Mr. Spokane said: could be the charger).
Or the camera cant read the information on the chip (is it a problem in the cam or the charger?)
Summary: facts should lead you to the fact, that is common.

I had this painful moment once with the 5d2 and the grip. It was a little bit loose, this blocked the controls on the grip, but not on the body....

paul13walnut5

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
yep the grip is playing up as well.  Sometimes connects, sometimes dead, with the working calumet battery.

tpatana

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
Strange. I guess you don't have fluke/multimeter/something to measure the actual voltage after charging?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
nope, going to go into calumet tomorrow and hopefully try batts in alt body.

Neopulse

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
Really bothersome the adverts in the posts made in threads. Well anyways, was going to ask where you purchased the LP-E6s because I recently bought a Canon 5D Mark III and was going to buy 2 spare batteries and of course will want to stray from where you bought them. Amazon? Adorama? B&H?

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
Really bothersome the adverts in the posts made in threads. Well anyways, was going to ask where you purchased the LP-E6s because I recently bought a Canon 5D Mark III and was going to buy 2 spare batteries and of course will want to stray from where you bought them. Amazon? Adorama? B&H?

Welcome to Canon Rumors.

Are you referring to the advertising from Google?  Its personalized, Google is able to target you with advertising based on things you have viewed at other sites.  We all see different things targeted to us.  It pays for operating the web site, its not sponsored by Canon.

You might reread the OP's comments about where he bought his batteries.  Don't assume he is in the USA.  Click on his user IS to see his profile.  It sounds like UK to me.

pierlux

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Let us know some news tomorrow... If something's broken let's hope it's the battery rather than the grip!

Really bothersome the adverts in the posts made in threads.

I don't see them, I use Firefox with Adblock Plus.  8)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »

Let us know some news tomorrow... If something's broken let's hope it's the battery rather than the grip!

I hope it's not the 7d body! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »

pierlux

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
I hope it's not the 7d body!
I think it's neither your 7D nor the grip. But if you want to sleep peacefully tonight, why don't you insert whichever kind of fresh AA-sized batteries in your grip and try right now? Disposable alkalines don't last long, actually only a few minutes shooting LV, but are fine for just running a test.

Neopulse

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »

Welcome to Canon Rumors.

Are you referring to the advertising from Google?  Its personalized, Google is able to target you with advertising based on things you have viewed at other sites.  We all see different things targeted to us.  It pays for operating the web site, its not sponsored by Canon.

You might reread the OP's comments about where he bought his batteries.  Don't assume he is in the USA.  Click on his user IS to see his profile.  It sounds like UK to me.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been on here once before when I wa looking up the Canon 7D MK II if it was gonna come out or not, which apparently didn't some time ago. well anyways thanks for clearing that up for me. Using Google Chrome at the moment and also glad doesn't affect the US heh. But, wouldn't be the first time a bad batch of batteries went out into the population. Think nikon even had a batch of EN-EL15s that would explode at one point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »