August 21, 2014, 08:15:09 PM

Author Topic: LP-E6's dropping like flies.  (Read 9062 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: LP-E6's dropping like flies.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
I hope it's not the 7d body!
I think it's neither your 7D nor the grip. But if you want to sleep peacefully tonight, why don't you insert whichever kind of fresh AA-sized batteries in your grip and try right now? Disposable alkalines don't last long, actually only a few minutes shooting LV, but are fine for just running a test.

Tried with fresh alkalines, not even enough to power on, but I did get the blinking battery icon on the top lcd.
Took the pack out and the batteries were roasting hot, with an electrical burning smell.

It's still more of a response I got with the lp-e6's.

Put cslumet batt in grip and then in body and all working fine again.

Going to visit calumet this morning to buy new batt and see if Zi can try my lp-e6s in one of their bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »
To get batteries hot, you need to draw plenty of current. I wonder if something is shorting... can you check the pins/connections on the grip, if anything looks like bent or something?

In a sense I was thinking if you'd test with NiMHs instead of alkalines, as they can give even higher current. But there's big risk if something has shorted, as that could damage something even further. So I recommend not to try, but try to find out what's wrong.

Can you check all the ports also if there's any pins bent? For card slot you might not be able to see properly, but does it behave same without a card?

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 03:05:23 AM »
Causing a smell like this I would not make any more experiments, I would give it to a CPS.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06:54 AM »
No bent pins, same with card in or card out, cheers

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »

Does the Calumet battery get hot also?

Just a guess here, but maybe the real "better" batteries have protection circuit (like most batteries nowadays), and they'll just shut down then the camera tries to draw too much current. And maybe the 3rd party doesn't have, or the safe limit is higher. Anyway doesn't sound good, and I'm also voting for CPS on this. If you had lab bench power supply, you could check yourself what's the actual current draw, but most people don't have those.

optikus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:43 AM »
Hi,

for security reasons I would not test anymore -> Canon service.

What you reported points directly to a short circuit in the grip or in the cameras battery chamber or anywhere in between.

If batteries become hot in such a short time (primary cells likte the alkalines or NiMH/LiIon accumulators), then there must be MUCH current in the system - too much. And this can seriously cause much more damage as you can imaginge looking at those small parts ... - final consequence might be the explosion of the cells. Kep fingers off and give it to an experienced technician with sufficient instrumentation to examine the problem safe.

Joerg
EOS 1Ds, D60, 10D, 30D*, 400D, var. manual lenses, Zeiss and other german manufacturers and some EF/EFs ... *: 30D with extended IR-range for astrophotography

paul13walnut5

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:45 AM »
Cheers, going to drop into CPS this morning.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:45 AM »

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »
Hi Paul, I've just switched my PC on at work and checked this thread for news... bad news, indeed.  :(  Sorry to hear this, tpatana, alexanderferdinand and optikus are right, CPS is the only route. Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:23:18 AM by pierlux »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 06:45:40 AM »
I can live without the grip, would rather spend money on new spare batteries than a repair.  Fingers crossed it's the grip, a pain in the A, but the least costly route.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »

Does the Calumet battery get hot also?

Just a guess here, but maybe the real "better" batteries have protection circuit (like most batteries nowadays), and they'll just shut down then the camera tries to draw too much current. And maybe the 3rd party doesn't have, or the safe limit is higher. Anyway doesn't sound good, and I'm also voting for CPS on this. If you had lab bench power supply, you could check yourself what's the actual current draw, but most people don't have those.

+1, that's one reason I stick with OEM batteries. 

Glad you're taking the service route...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

paul13walnut5

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
Well thats it booked in,  A J Johnstones who have done good work for me in the past.

Lets hope the estimate keeps it viable. 

paul13walnut5

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
£155

Groan, but also slight sigh of relief.

Rebuild grip and rebuild battery chamber of camera with a couple of new boards.

Will also need a ton to replace my cooked LP-E6's (though one might be able to be resuccitated, hopefully)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
Lost both my LP-E6's.  But now have working 7D again.  Work paying the repair thankfully, and using Hahnel battery (£23) and the calumet one.  Might sell the 7D and grip...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »
Lost both my LP-E6's.  But now have working 7D again.  Work paying the repair thankfully, and using Hahnel battery (£23) and the calumet one.  Might sell the 7D and grip...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Were Johnstones able to determine whether there was an internal short in the camera that fried the grip and batteries, or was it the other way around? At least you'll have the 7D for the next joust!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
Fault was in grip, replaced boards, battery chamber and stripped down 7D to check internals for any other damage effects.  Back and working!

There's always the jousting again next weekend.  Might even take a rainslicker and a pacamac next time!  Good day out by the way!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »