November 28, 2014, 11:24:36 AM

Author Topic: wide angle lens  (Read 8668 times)

J. McCabe

Re: wide angle lens
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
The Sigma 14mm has a barrel distortion, so fixing it would introduce a crop, unsure how big.

Who in is this world use the image right out of the camera? it is easily correctable with PT lens which cost 25$ ..better IQ than 2200$ canon 14mm..just for the AF and distortion? see the comparison between samyang and canon and decide yourself.

Buy samyang 14mm UMC. the best uwa lens on the market for the money. corner to corner very sharp. canon 14mm II is complete waste of money compared to samyang

The OP wanted the least amount of distortion possible, but my understanding is that the Samyang 14mm is quite distorted (one of its few flaws).  Worth noting the Samyang is manual focus, usually not an issue for an UWA lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
Which one can capture the most of the area without getting any significant distortions (fisheye type)?

Try Sigma 12-24 mk2.  It's not particularly fast, though.  But 12 mm is crazy wide.

If you want speed there's Canon 24/1.4

Which one is the best?  There's no answer to that.  Canon 16-35/2.8 is a good compromise between wideness, speed, focal length range, and image quality.

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:13 AM »
Hello folks. I've been with canon brand for past quite a few years. I currently have Canon 5D Mark II, menawhile I got some lenses and I am quite happy with them but I am looking for realy good wide angle lens.
For me the most importnat thing with lens is the F stuff, so the lower it gets the better for me, so for me lenses that are 2.8 or lower are the ones that I love the most. Anyway which wide angle lens would you recommend? Which one is the best? Which one can capture the most of the area without getting any significant distortions (fisheye type)?

If money is not an issue 16-35L mark2 - superb option
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
It's funny how some people show up, ask one questions, and then are gone, leaving everyone behind with the task of figuring out what they meant :-)

As for Samyang 14mm, there are two different lenses:

There is only one version that was sold.  After the poor review of the first lens, Samyang pulled back the samples and redesigned it.

I bought the second version, believing the hype.  It was garbage, so I can only imagine how bad the first version would have been if it had been sold.

"After our test the producer decided to withdraw first specimens of that lens from the market and started to redesign it. It was announced that they intended to improve the work against bright light and to increase the quality of images at the frame edge (the resolution was supposed to increase by 15% there). "

YoukY63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
There is only one version that was sold.  After the poor review of the first lens, Samyang pulled back the samples and redesigned it.

I bought the second version, believing the hype.  It was garbage, so I can only imagine how bad the first version would have been if it had been sold.

"After our test the producer decided to withdraw first specimens of that lens from the market and started to redesign it. It was announced that they intended to improve the work against bright light and to increase the quality of images at the frame edge (the resolution was supposed to increase by 15% there). "
It was that bad? You were probably not lucky ad get a bad copy, because mine is razor sharp! Actually it is probably my sharper lens, more than my 70-200F4L IS or 35mm F1.4L ! And there is almost no AC! Optically, it is incredible, excepted the distortions but they are only disturbing when you have very straight lines in the picture (mostly buildings).

PS: did you try to focus in liveview? Because the focus ring is not reliable. I have perfect focus by setting it between 2.5m-3m (excepted for proxy, I never change it). Setting it further would "over"-focus and therefore be completely out of focus.  :P
Canon 5D MkII + 24-105mm f/4L + 70-200mm f/4L IS + 35mm f/1.4L + 85mm f/1.2L + 135mm f/2L + Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
If your goal was just to go wide I'd say Sigma 12-24mm II all day long. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »