October 21, 2014, 01:14:29 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATED* Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.  (Read 22968 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
*UPDATED* Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »
*UPDATE 1* Nikon Announcements Next Week A reader has written in about this post and says the big megapixel camera is from Nikon.

A Nikon division (I won’t mention the country) will be showing new Nikon products on August 24, 2011. The showing is “confidential” and will require an NDA. We already know the Nikon mirrorless will be coming.

Please don’t yell at me for posting Nikon stuff on Canon Rumors (trust me, it’ll happen).

Whatever Nikon does, could give some insight into what Canon and others in the industry will do. Photographic equipment companies rarely one up each other in the span of a month or so.

Upcoming DSLRs I received word that one manufacturer will surprise everyone with a big megapixel camera next Thursday, August 25, 2011.

The report is very vague, but comes from a bang on source. I’d almost [CR3] this.

5D Mark III Two great sources are both saying Canon is extremely quiet at the moment. There hasn’t been a real whisper about anything upcoming.

I am finished posting spec lists until I hear something more concrete.

A lot of people are talking about price drops of the 5D Mark II. It’s pretty interesting to me too. We’re coming up to 3 years on the Mark II. Maybe there will be something announced in 2011.

No one has received any press invites to a Canon event yet.

It looks like Nikon will announce first.

cr

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:30:17 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

*UPDATED* Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

mhunt

Re: Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
OH JEEZ I CAN'T WAIT.

If it's the 1ds mkiv that's cool. If it's the 5d mkiii, I go crazy jump of my car.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
This can only be Sony announcing a 30+MP FF camera as the 24MP APS-C is fairly well rumored now. If it was from Nikon, it wouldn't be a surprise as almost everyone is expecting a 30+MP D4 (no surprise there, is there?)

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
So any ideas what "big" is?  35?  45?  105?   ;D

dgsphto

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
"One of the manufacturers"....Could be Nikon then! -:)

Nikon has a press even on 8/24 and a 32MP D700 replacement is anticipated.

If it is indeed a Canon camera, I think it will be a 5Dmk3 with a 24-70 mk2 lens. To me, it does not make sense to announce a pro body first and then a prosumer one. They will easily get increased sales if they announce the prosumer one first followed by the pro body late this year/early next year.  Based on how it's spec-ed out (32MP with longer shutter life with faster shutter and AF bundled with decent ISO and video performance) would be enough to win over many of the 1DSmk3 folks for a while till they are ready with the 1Dsmk4. Double dip as long as there are enough differentiators between the 5Dmk3 and 1Dsmk4!!

Canon 5D mk2 prices have been going down lately although not by my much. It's mostly the kit prices that are lower not the body itself prices.

They also recently seemed to have cleared a ton of inventory through Continental One-pass, Best Buy and various kits through other vendors. A formal "price drop" by about 10% bringing it back to the pre-disaster level is inevitable in the near future.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:34:55 PM by dgsphto »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
i can't wait either i so hope its a 5d mk3 prices in the uk today dropped about £100 for most big retailers which is strange bring on the 5d mk3 i will buy straight away :D

Bob Howland

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
almost everyone is expecting a 30+MP D4

They are?? I may not be as up on Nikon rumors as you, but the rumor that I read a while ago was an 18MP D4 and a 24MP D800/D900.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

dgsphto

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
almost everyone is expecting a 30+MP D4

They are?? I may not be as up on Nikon rumors as you, but the rumor that I read a while ago was an 18MP D4 and a 24MP D800/D900.

The D4 was a typo. I corrected it to D700 replacement a few minutes before this post..

The MP count is all across the board. Some say 18 while others say 24  yet I have read about 30 as well. To me, I think it will be a 24mp, but Nikon could surprise s with a 30+ as well...they (along with Sony) have had enough time to "catch up" (if I may! Not trying to start a war -:) ) on the sensor tech.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:53:09 PM by dgsphto »

Picsfor

Re: *UPDATED* Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
OK, popped into a top Canon Stockit in UK, replacing a few bit to whichcaemthat question "can i get you anything else?"

i responded that i hope to be in shortly for one fo the F/F bodies due to be announced to after Nikons first announcement. innocently - he asked which body that was supposed to be, My response being 1Ds4 or 1D5.

His eyes lifted, "since we got the 5D2 - 3 years ago, we haven't sold a single 1DsIII. At 3 years the 5D3 would be more than a suitable release and more than able to match most of Nikons plans, It doesn't even need that much work to get them selling in volumes quicker than Canon can produce them, and certainly the equal of any D800 nikon might have to offer! This would leave Canon till Christmas to sort out their 1D stragey ready for the games..."

All i say is - it had better have a dual memory card slot and better focusing, or the D800 is me!

dgsphto

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
"since we got the 5D2 - 3 years ago, we haven't sold a single 1DsIII.

The 5Dmk2 was probably closer to the 1Dsmk3 for many people than it was different. That’s why I said that as long as they have enough differentiators, they have the potential for double dip with launching the 5Dmk3 first and then the 1Dsmk4.

I think Canon has learnt their lesson with the 5Dmk2 eating into the 1Dsmk3 sales which is why there was probably a lot of talk about Canon reorganizing the prosumer and pro lines.

All i say is - it had better have a dual memory card slot and better focusing, or the D800 is me!

Amen!

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »

Why does everyone go gaga over dual card slots?
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
Keep in mind that the Sony Alpha a77 certainly fits into these specifications. The rumor says Aug. 25, but the date that is most often quoted is Aug. 24. I suppose it depends on what part of the world you are in, but the dates could certainly be the same.

As for a "big" megapixal camera; define big. It certainly seems that 24 mp on an APS-C camera could be considered "big" by many people.

I'm not saying that's the announcement, just that it fits the specifications. I hope that it is something  bigger and more exciting, but, I'm not going to be terribly surprised if the Alpha a77 is the "big" announcement.

Actually, I am kind of excited by the Alpha a77 announcement because, as a 7D owner, I think it ups the bar for the 7D MarkII.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dgsphto

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
"A Nikon division (I won’t mention the country)..."

That would be Nikon Denmark.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »

JasonM

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Data protection.  Memory cards do fail or get corrupted occasionally.

dgsphto

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »

Some of the Pros do because they want either/both of the below:
* Ability to write to 2 cards at the same time providing a backup if one card was to fail. This would minimize risk of losing images already taken and stored on the failed card.
* Parallel image writes from the buffer to cards would empty the buffer faster allowing for a longer high FPS operation before the buffer fills up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »